The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 15, 2006, 11:52am
Official Forum Member

Question player/coach pregame ?

Does anyone have a short, to the point player/coach pregame that they would like to share? In our state(MT) we are required to have a pregame meeting with coaches and players at the 12 minute mark prior to game. We meet with the coaches and players(captains-usaully one or two palayers from each team) at the same time. Thanks in advance.
Old Fri Dec 15, 2006, 12:00pm
Official Forum Member

1.Get spokes person from each team
2.Let's have good sportsmanship tonight
3.Shirts in shorts up
4.coaches are your teams properly equipped
5.any questions, good luck!
Old Fri Dec 15, 2006, 12:25pm
Official Forum Member

one that I don't understand

There is one of these that I don't understand. The speaking captain. I will listen to any player on the floor, if they are respectful in the way they address me. I won't listen to any players for long if they aren't respectful, regardless of their status as "speaking captain"....along those lines, if the speaking captain is not on the floor, do you no longer entertain questions from the floor??? Some of the guys I work with here ask for speaking captains, but to me it is just a waste of good oxygen...
Old Fri Dec 15, 2006, 12:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmathews
There is one of these that I don't understand. The speaking captain. I will listen to any player on the floor, if they are respectful in the way they address me. I won't listen to any players for long if they aren't respectful, regardless of their status as "speaking captain"....along those lines, if the speaking captain is not on the floor, do you no longer entertain questions from the floor??? Some of the guys I work with here ask for speaking captains, but to me it is just a waste of good oxygen...
I agree we'll talk to anyone, but only 2 people are allowed to designate the shooter on a T, coach and CAPTAIN. Only 1 person is allowed to request a defensive matchup, the CAPTAIN.
Old Fri Dec 15, 2006, 01:03pm
Lighten up, Francis.

"Who's your floor captain, Blue? Who's your floor captain, White? Coaches, we'll try to answer questions, but we won't be having long discussions out here. If you wander out of the box to ask us a question, we will politely remind you to stay in the box. If you wander out of the box to yell at us, we have other ways of getting you back to your bench. Any questions? Have a great game, everybody."
Old Fri Dec 15, 2006, 01:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
"Who's your floor captain, Blue? Who's your floor captain, White? Coaches, we'll try to answer questions, but we won't be having long discussions out here. If you wander out of the box to ask us a question, we will politely remind you to stay in the box. If you wander out of the box to yell at us, we have other ways of getting you back to your bench. Any questions? Have a great game, everybody."
Nothing like starting a game with a threat.

We do captains at 8, coaches separately at 2.

Captains:

Sportsmanship, take care of your teams, speaking captains, have anything for us, good luck and have fun.

Coaches:

Sportsmanship, properly dressed, good luck.
Old Fri Dec 15, 2006, 01:49pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindzebra
Nothing like starting a game with a threat.
Where's the threat? Basically I say, if you're nice to us, we'll be nice to you. If you're out of line, we're gonna handle it. Is that threatening?
Old Fri Dec 15, 2006, 02:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
Where's the threat? Basically I say, if you're nice to us, we'll be nice to you. If you're out of line, we're gonna handle it. Is that threatening?
"If you wander out of the box to yell at us, we have other ways of getting you back to your bench."

Gasoline on a fire that hasn't even started yet...the job is hard enough without setting up problems.
Old Fri Dec 15, 2006, 02:09pm
Official Forum Member

Pregame meetings are my least favorite part of the game. I don't think I've ever remembered the captains for longer than 10 seconds. Greeting the coaches is not so bad. I do need to know who is in charge of the team, and this is their chance to tell me about any particular concerns with their players (asthma, deafness, etc) that may come into play later on.
Old Fri Dec 15, 2006, 02:38pm
Official Forum Member

I agree with you Hartsey... One of the things I added to my meeting this year was asking specifically about any medical issues that we may need to be aware of. Had a player the other day with only 1 kidney and we were asked that if possible to stop action immediately if this player gets hit hard in the back or falls hard to the floor on their back.
Old Fri Dec 15, 2006, 03:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmckenna
I agree with you Hartsey... One of the things I added to my meeting this year was asking specifically about any medical issues that we may need to be aware of. Had a player the other day with only 1 kidney and we were asked that if possible to stop action immediately if this player gets hit hard in the back or falls hard to the floor on their back.
I really like that one! I'm definately adding it tonight!
Old Fri Dec 15, 2006, 03:23pm
MABO Member

Everyone shaking hands takes longer then my Pregame.

Questions Coaches? Captains? Good Luck!

All references/comments are intended for educational purposes. Opinions are free.
Old Fri Dec 15, 2006, 03:27pm

Scrapper-From what you say I'm sure you don't mean it to be threatening. But whether it is or isn't doesn't really matter. What matters is how the coaches are going to take it. One game both coaches won't even give it a thought. The next game you might get two different personalities and both coaches take it as a threat.
Old Fri Dec 15, 2006, 03:31pm

I've notice reading through here that no one is recommending that you get into how you are going to make calls. I learned that a long time ago. If you say something about how you are going to call hand checking or something specific you are just setting yourself up for trouble the first time that something happens that makes it look like you aren't doing what you said you were going to. Now and then you still get a partner that does this and it just sets us up for problems.

Another thing to do is to quickly give the captains themselves something to do during the game. Specifically if a problem comes up with one of the players on their team tell them to take care of them before we have to.

Last edited by sj; Fri Dec 15, 2006 at 03:36pm.
Old Fri Dec 15, 2006, 03:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj

Another thing to do is to quickly give the captains themselves something to do during the game. Specifically if a problem comes up with one of the players on their team tell them to take care of them before we have to.
Sounds like you have been in my captain's meeting.

Hand shakes:

Captains, sportsmanship is the key and as captains you are responsible for your teams, so if you see a teammate getting out of line step up and take care of it.

Speaking captains? If something comes up during the game, you are who we want to hear from and will be coming to.

You have anything for us?...they never do...Good luck, have fun.

I try to remember my captains, because it can come in handy.

My partner had a kid chin the ball and pop the defender with an elbow...PC foul...teammate of the kid hit starts toward the kid who fouled him, I close in and #42, who was the captain, is right there so I say, "42 get your player away from him." He does, nothing flares up, game goes on.