View Single Post
Old Sun May 06, 2007, 10:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School
Had a interesting situation occur where a problem broke out between coach and player in a 17U boys AAU game. The coach took the player out and was upset with him. While we where shooting F/T's, this confrontation escalated. They begin to scream at each other. Since it was the coach and player I ignored the incident thinking the coach was on top of the situation. My partner administrating the F/T's pointed to me and stated you need to do something about that.

I turn around and the player, now on the end of the bench had to be restrain. He was in tears and he started firing back at the coach. He stood up and said I'm sick of this! Now say something else! The coach turned and sat back down, realizing he probably pushed the kid too far. So the incident kind of settled itself down but at the time, I didn't know what to do? I assume it wasn't the coaches son because no man is going to allow his son to talk to him like that.

My question is, what would you have done? What if this situation escalated even further then it did, instead of the coach backing down, he went the other way? I'm looking for some advise here on how to correctly go about dealing with situations like this because I have never had it happen before in a setting like this. And before we go any further, I'm pro players. I'm always going to be on the players side unless he starts swearing.
I know that you haven't ever read and don't even own a rules book, so here...
You have rules in place to cover bench decorum. Language is merely one aspect of that. Unsporting behavior is a very broad category which could be invoked in this situation against either the kid, the coach, or both. Also team members are not allowed to stand up while on the bench, except for a few specified reasons. Yelling at your coach isn't one of them.
So you have plenty of rules at your disposal to handle this. How these unusual situations are handled or not handled really shows the worth of a game official.