View Single Post
Old Mon May 07, 2007, 09:50am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
I know that you haven't ever read and don't even own a rules book, so here...
How much money you want to bet on that?

Quote:
You have rules in place to cover bench decorum. Language is merely one aspect of that. Unsporting behavior is a very broad category which could be invoked in this situation against either the kid, the coach, or both. Also team members are not allowed to stand up while on the bench, except for a few specified reasons. Yelling at your coach isn't one of them.
So, if I'm understanding you correctly, your advise is to throw gasoline on the fire. You see, this is one example where the rulebook could get you crucified as an official. You send an official in there to go insert himself into this incident and you risk making it worse. But that's jmo.

Quote:
So you have plenty of rules at your disposal to handle this. How these unusual situations are handled or not handled really shows the worth of a game official.
To be honest, I thought about T'ing the player but something in side of me said, no! This could potentially damage this player permanently in his unstable emotional state. I think enough damage had been done up to this point. I also feel that not everything that needs to be done in a game is defined in the rulebook.

Actually, I think Mick hit it on the head which at the time I didn't realize. Believe me this was luck on my part. But by walking over there and standing next to the bench, not saying a word, because I didn't know what to say, calmer heads prevail. I believe my presence dictated that. My concern was what if it didn't and that's why I asked the question.

Now, I'm not the type of guy that believes in punishing one person by itself. IOW's, I'm throwing both the player and the coach out if it comes to that. My question then would be, would the other team be awarded Technical foul shots if I just tossed both these individuals and not enforced a technical? Could this even be done or would I have to call a technical on one or both?