Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Apr 20, 2007, 11:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Don't know if that helps any, but as I said, I really don't think that there really is a definitive answer as to what constitutes a foul in these situations. It's a straight judgment call.

Let me get this straight. When I applied judgement to this call, my call is a bad call and you tell everybody not to do it my way because it's wrong, than you turn around and say it's a straight judgement call. Let's go one step further. My call is the worse call ever made on this forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
That might be the most single ridiculous piece of bad advice made in the history of this forum. It's completely asinine. You're advocating that an official should continue to make similar bad calls in the name of consistency. Iow if you make a terrible call at one end, make sure that you make the same terrible call at the other end. And then repeat the process to show that you're consistent. You're showing yourself to be consistent alright. Consistently bad and consistently wrong.

Judgment calls can go either way, so you jumping off the deep end that this is asinine is asinine. After further review, I wish I didn't call this one. I'm being honest. I'm thinking I'm the only one on this forum that's being honest. If you want to pretend that these type of things don't really happen, then you are living in a make believe world, and you need to quite drinking that damn kool-aid because it is taunted. It's not consistenecy versus inconsistency. It's about being fair. Now, this is what I stated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School
The only problem here is consistentcy. This was the talk of the NCAA finals. If I got a big kid, Oden, and he commits a foul, and the big kid from the other team (Georgetown) on the same type of play doesn't get a foul. If I'm the visiting team. I want to know what's going on and I will raise that issue with the assigners.

Keep it fair and I got outplayed. Not calling the same type of fouls on both ends of the court means one team has a huge advantage. Not last year but the years before. This was notorius in the WNBA finals. Bill Lambier put a stop to that in his games. He came unglued, he challenged the league, and you know what, he was right because I saw the same thing.

The further up the ladder you go, I think the more important it is to be consistent with your calls because everything is being psycho-analyzed these days. If I can point out that a certain official called it here but didn't call the exact same thing there. That wreaks of cheating. In order to be fair, you have to call it both ways. We're not talking a straight bad call like JR would have you believe here. We are talking judgment calls. Make sure your judgment is consistent thru-out the game and I think you will be better off.

If I let it go down here, then I'm going to let it go down there. If I call it down here, then I'm going to call it down there. This is the essense of good officiating. It is defendable. You calling it one way down here and the other way down there is not defendable, imo.

the dolt even rebutes himself
Old Fri Apr 20, 2007, 02:41pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=truerookie]
Quote:
Originally Posted by btaylor64
The offensive player knew where the defender was so he upfaked and the defender bit and jumped. While the defender was on his way down the offensive player started to go up. On the way up the defender made slight contact with the shooter on his way down, but then after the contact, he blocked the ball so clean. I blew the whistle. In my judgement the player created contact and in creating that contact he was able to block the shot. Had he blocked it first then contact I would have left it alone.

Question: Why contact was not severe enough to warrant an initial whistle? You stated yourself that is was slight contact. I know, I know patience whislte waiting to see the entire play develop.

I saw the whole play through and blew the whistle. No matter how slight, it was contact on the jump shooter with the ball still in his hand. He took a knee to the back before the player smacked all ball, hence the foul.
Old Fri Apr 20, 2007, 08:02pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee
the dolt even rebutes himself
But the message is still the same and that is indisputable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldShool
If I let it go down here, then I'm going to let it go down there. If I call it down here, then I'm going to call it down there. This is the essense of good officiating. It is defendable. You calling it one way down here and the other way down there is not defendable, imo.
Old Sat Apr 21, 2007, 09:31am
Keeper of the HAMMER

But if you make the call and immediately realize it was a bad call, you shouldn't compound it by making a similar bad call at the other end. That's not consistency, that's a "make-up call."
Old Sat Apr 21, 2007, 12:18pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
But if you make the call and immediately realize it was a bad call, you shouldn't compound it by making a similar bad call at the other end. That's not consistency, that's a "make-up call."
Snaqs, a quick look back sees that 6 different posters have told him that about 11 times so far. He just doesn't understand or comprehend what he's being told.
Old Sun Apr 22, 2007, 04:07pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School
.... Coaches don't care as much that you called it a foul as much as you call that same type of foul on both ends of the court. To me, and I think most coaches would agree, consistency is more important. Foul calls is the officials judgment and coaches know they don't have ANY control over that, but guaranteed they will have plenty to say if you don't call it consistently on both ends. That's just the way I see it, not a matter of fact, but the way I view things.
Indeed, consistency is important, not only for each official on each end, but also consistency as a crew, and hopefully crew consistency happens more often than not.

But then we get into the coaches' consistency in evaluation of contact. Does a two foot-pound foul count the same on each end of the court in the coaches' minds ? Dunno, but probably not.

If a coach says we are inconsistent, do we believe it, weigh it, or ignore it ?
Old Sun Apr 22, 2007, 06:29pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick
If a coach says we are inconsistent, do we believe it, weigh it, or ignore it ?
When coaches talk about consistency, they are talking about consistency in their favor. So I do not pay much attention to that claim. When both teams run the same offenses and defenses at the same time, I will worry about consistency.

Peace
Closed Thread