The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 3.80 average. Display Modes
Old Tue Sep 25, 2007, 10:18am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckElias
What's the deal with Milton Bradley? What could the ump have said to set him off that badly?

If your mother had named you Milton Bradley you would be pissed at the world too.
Old Tue Sep 25, 2007, 11:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
If your mother had named you Milton Bradley you would be pissed at the world too.
I guess she was just playing games with him.

I heard he tore his knee when his manager tackled him trying to restrain him from the umpire. I wonder if there will be any repercussions from that?

Chuck, I like your list. I was able to go to PNC Park in Pittsburgh this summer with a couple of friends, and was impressed with the park. It's in a nice part of downtown, and the view is excellent, both inside and outside the park. We did the stadium tour before one game, and for the other we parked across the river and took the ferry right to the park - nice touch. Side note to the game - it was Adam LaRoche bobblehead night, and the bobblehead was sponsored by LaRoche College (no relation).

We're debating making it to NYC next year for the last year of Yankee Stadium. (I'm assuming tickets will probably be easy to get? After all, no one goes there anymore because it's too crowded.)

(Used with permission.)
Old Tue Sep 25, 2007, 12:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy

I heard he tore his knee when his manager tackled him trying to restrain him from the umpire. I wonder if there will be any repercussions from that?
It was Mike Winters (the umpires) fault.

"It's terrible. And now, because of him, my knee's hurt," Bradley said Sunday. "If this costs me my season because of that, he needs to be reprimanded. I'm taking some action. I'm not going to stand pat and accept this."
Old Tue Sep 25, 2007, 01:37pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachP
It was Mike Winters (the umpires) fault.

"It's terrible. And now, because of him, my knee's hurt," Bradley said Sunday. "If this costs me my season because of that, he needs to be reprimanded. I'm taking some action. I'm not going to stand pat and accept this."
I cracked up when I heard him say that. Regardless of what Winters may or may not have said, I love that he's blaming his own over-reaction on the evil umpire.
Old Tue Sep 25, 2007, 04:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachP
"I'm not going to stand pat and accept this."
Of course not, he's got a blown ACL.
Old Wed Sep 26, 2007, 02:54am
Official Forum Member

Chuck,
I don't see Fenway on your list. Where does it fit in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckElias
So my personal updated rankings are:

1. Camden Yard (Baltimore)
2. PNC (Pittsburgh)
3. Citizens' Bank Park (Philly)
4. Yankee Stadium (NY)
5. Great American Ballpark (Cincinnati)
6. SkyDome (Toronto)
7. Jacobs' Field (Cleveland)
8. Comerica Park (Detroit)
9. Tropicana Field (Tampa/St. Pete)
10. Turner Field (Atlanta)
11. Olympic Stadium (Montreal)
12. Dolphins Stadium (Miami)
13. Shea Stadium (NY)
Old Wed Sep 26, 2007, 07:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
Chuck,
I don't see Fenway on your list. Where does it fit in?
I wondered the same, but then realized that this was a ranking of the best, most comfortable places to see a ballpark, not the most historically significant or those with the most "atmosphere."
Old Wed Sep 26, 2007, 08:20am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Sox win with Schill looking really good, and the Yankees lose. Sox have already clinched a playoff spot and now the magic number for the division is 3. Yankees are one win from the playoffs as well. Nice to see their bullpen implode last night. Glad it's not just Gagne.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
Chuck, I don't see Fenway on your list. Where does it fit in?
For anybody who doesn't know the background. . . My college roommate and I are in the process of touring all the big league ballparks. We usually visit 2 per summer (although this year was three) and the list comprises only the parks that we have visited together since beginning this "mission".

So even though I've been to Riverfront Stadium, Wrigley Field, the Metrodome and Kaufman Stadium, those aren't included on the list b/c we didn't visit them together. Likewise, my buddy and I have been to Fenway numerous times together (lots of Patriot Day games), but not since we started our official tour.

Next year, I think we're visiting Fenway and the Nationals' park, which I think will still be RFK. (If they're still in RFK, I may try to convince him to skip it until they get into the new park; since we've already seen their old park in Montreal.) So Fenway will shoot to #1 next year. Actually, even as a biased BoSox fan, I can't put Fenway in the top 3.
Old Wed Sep 26, 2007, 10:53am
Official Forum Member

I don't often get to participate in this thread

GGOOOOOOO Rockies..........

and Chuck when do you plan on seeing Coors Field??
Old Wed Sep 26, 2007, 11:02am
certified Hot Mom tester

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
I used to work with the Parker Brothers (no, not the "real" ones). Whenever they'd do something wrong, their explanation was that they liked to take Risks.

I once asked them if they held a Monopoly on stupidness and one of them replied, "Obviously not". I had to give him points for that.

Since we're talking funny names, I used to know Bunny Tarquinio (her married name - and she has a fairly famous brother) and Forrest Hardwood. I'm not joking.

Also, I worked with a guy whose last name is Cheeseman. When his wife was pregnant, I told him that if it's a boy, he should name him Hammond. He didn't get it.
Old Wed Sep 26, 2007, 11:27am
Official Forum Member

My family actually knows all of the following people:
Mr. Lister
Mayor Dreher
Judge Budge
Dr. Procter

But that's off topic. Indians are still a game ahead of the BoSox in the loss column. Let's hope that today's old-fashioned back-to-back double header in Seattle (where the Tribe is the HOME team for the first game -- thank you, Ohio weather) doesn't change that.
Old Wed Sep 26, 2007, 11:39am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
I used to work with the Parker Brothers (no, not the "real" ones). Whenever they'd do something wrong, their explanation was that they liked to take Risks.

I once asked them if they held a Monopoly on stupidness and one of them replied, "Obviously not". I had to give him points for that.

Since we're talking funny names, I used to know Bunny Tarquinio (her married name - and she has a fairly famous brother) and Forrest Hardwood. I'm not joking.

Also, I worked with a guy whose last name is Cheeseman. When his wife was pregnant, I told him that if it's a boy, he should name him Hammond. He didn't get it.
Remember Larry Holmes? He has a brother named Mobile. He was a bigger guy than Larry and served in the Navy as an anchor.
Old Wed Sep 26, 2007, 12:00pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron
My family actually knows all of the following people:
Mr. Lister
Mayor Dreher
Judge Budge
Dr. Procter
There was a dentist here in Oregon named Dr. Yankem.

Also, when I was a kid, there was a guy in my neighborhood named Gus Mussfuss.

Still - the best sports name ever is former NFL receiver (how appropriate) Fair Hooker.

Which reminds me - did you hear about the NFL quarterback who thought he was marrying a tight end, but would up with a wide receiver?

OK - moderate me out of here.
Old Wed Sep 26, 2007, 12:25pm
Esteemed Participant

Chuck, when you coming out to Safeco??? Come in late July or early August - it's warm, the park is beautiful, sit where you can watch Puget Sound between innings...it will be in your top ten, even if the M's aren't!
Old Wed Sep 26, 2007, 12:41pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad
Chuck, when you coming out to Safeco??? Come in late July or early August - it's warm, the park is beautiful, sit where you can watch Puget Sound between innings...it will be in your top ten, even if the M's aren't!
Not to mention all the people out here who'd love to come and make it a party. Including one little Mets fan who LOVES to talk baseball with you!