The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 3.80 average. Display Modes
Old Thu May 10, 2007, 10:40am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy
I had heard the same stat, and assumed it was over 19,000+ total games played at Wrigley. However, if we assume a 162-game schedule, and 81 games played at home, per year, that comes out to 234 years to get to 19,000 total games! (And that's not even taking into account the schedules were less than 162 games/yr. going back a ways.) I'll have to see if I can get that stat verified.
Good point, I didn't think of throwing that obvious fact at he-who-does-not-exist.
Quote:

And for those that are thinking it, it wasn't 234 years since the last WS win, either.
Yeahbut how about the next one?
Old Thu May 10, 2007, 10:40am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
19,000+ games *total*?

Or 19,000+ games that the Cubs won at home?
I didn't give it a second thought until you asked the question. Once I started doing the math, I realized that figure has to be wrong. Maybe the ESPN guy was intentionally pulling my leg and I fell for it.
Old Thu May 10, 2007, 10:43am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy
I had heard the same stat, and assumed it was over 19,000+ total games played at Wrigley. However, if we assume a 162-game schedule, and 81 games played at home, per year, that comes out to 234 years to get to 19,000 total games! (And that's not even taking into account the schedules were less than 162 games/yr. going back a ways.) I'll have to see if I can get that stat verified.
But don't forget all those playoff games.
Old Thu May 10, 2007, 10:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick
Ouch, that's gonna hurt in the morning
Old Thu May 10, 2007, 10:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckElias
I didn't give it a second thought until you asked the question. Once I started doing the math, I realized that figure has to be wrong. Maybe the ESPN guy was intentionally pulling my leg and I fell for it.
Come to think of it, that's where I heard it this morning. And, come to think of it, didn't he also make some comment about a player earning a billion dollars, or something like that? So, maybe there was some leg-pulling going on, along with the real facts. But the part about a lead-off HR being the winning and only run in a game does sound pretty rare.

(Used with permission.)
Old Thu May 10, 2007, 10:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Thanks alot, mick.

(Used with permission.)
Old Thu May 10, 2007, 11:18am
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Tit-for-tat, Rocky.
Mariners just became a victim at the plate for the last out of their 4th.
Safe by 12" ? Nope, out.
I believe I said I liked it when those calls went in our favor, not the other way around...didn't like that one at all!

But Baek pitched well last night...
Old Thu May 10, 2007, 12:19pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad
I believe I said I liked it when those calls went in our favor, not the other way around...didn't like that one at all!

But Baek pitched well last night...
He was Mr. Cool out there.
Old Thu May 10, 2007, 02:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
19,000+ games *total*?

Or 19,000+ games that the Cubs won at home?
Upon further review, according to Wikipedia, the Chicago franchise's overall win-loss record is 9747-9398 (.532). That's over 19,000 games. It includes Chicago White Stockings games from the old National Association.
Old Thu May 10, 2007, 02:51pm
In Memoriam

Uh, oh! Twins are coming.
Tigers have won 9 and lost won of last 10.
Thanks, Jeff !

Pitching
Seattle
NameIPHRERBBSOERA
J Weaver510660214.32
Old Thu May 10, 2007, 03:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Upon further review, according to Wikipedia, the Chicago franchise's overall win-loss record is 9747-9398 (.532). That's over 19,000 games. It includes Chicago White Stockings games from the old National Association.
So half of those games were at wrigley.

And half of the games at wrigley (let's say) the Cubs won.

So this is the first time out of 5000 games that the Cubs won at home where they won by a score of 1-0 and the only run was off a lead off home run. Not nearly as remarkable.

We can whittle the odds down a little further: how many of those 5000 games did the Cubs win by a score of 1-0 at home? I'm guessing 1000 at the very, very most. So now your 19000+ to 1 shot becomes at best a 1000 to 1 shot. Still worth noting, kinda I guess...I wonder, as comparison, how many times the Cubs won 1-0 on a walkoff HR? Or on a HR with 1 out in the bottom of the 5th...or....? IOW what's the odds that any baseball game is won by the home team where the only run scored is by a solo HR? I would have to guess, oh...let's say...I dunno...maybe 1000 to 1, at the very most. Especially over the last 30 yrs or so with lowered mounds, practical elimination of the beanball, juiced balls and juiced players.

So maybe it's not such a big deal afterall.
Old Thu May 10, 2007, 04:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
So half of those games were at wrigley.
Not even. Wrigley wasn't built until 1914, and that win-loss record goes back to 1885 or so. So there were almost 30 years of home games played outside of Wrigley Field.
Old Thu May 10, 2007, 04:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Not even. Wrigley wasn't built until 1914, and that win-loss record goes back to 1885 or so. So there were almost 30 years of home games played outside of Wrigley Field.
No sh1t, I was giving you the benefit of the doubt.
Old Thu May 10, 2007, 05:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
First time EVER that the Cubbies have won a 1-0 game at home, where the only run was scored on a lead-off HR! EVER! 19,000+ games. Pitcher only gave up 3 hits on top of that. Pretty good night at Wrigley.
Ya know, I like statistics, but some of the stuff that gets pulled up by computers nowadays is a bit much. BA during Wednesday night games played under a full moon, OBP with runners named "Bob" in scoring position, so on and so forth.
Old Fri May 11, 2007, 06:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Tonight on ESPN they gave the figure as 7,168 games at Wrigley and this was the first time a 1-0 score was the result of a 1st inning homerun.