The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 3.80 average. Display Modes
Old Tue May 08, 2007, 11:32am
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
The umpire, Gerry Davis, admitted that he blew it. His response after the game as quoted in the NY papers was "I didn't miss the call. I kicked the sh!t out of it.".

He's human. He ain't no different than the rest of us.
Oh, I agree...I just love it that this bad call actually went in the M's favor!! And against the Yankers - couldn't have come at a better time...
Old Tue May 08, 2007, 11:46am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad
Oh, I agree...I just love it that this bad call actually went in the M's favor!! And against the Yankers - couldn't have come at a better time...
It also helped that Farnsworth hasn't pitched an inning without giving up a run since about....oh..... 2005. You almost wish that he'd come down with Carl Pavano disease too until his contract runs out. And it's still early, but Mo is starting to look like he's no Mo.
Old Tue May 08, 2007, 12:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It also helped that Farnsworth hasn't pitched an inning without giving up a run since about....oh..... 2005. You almost wish that he'd come down with Carl Pavano disease too until his contract runs out. And it's still early, but Mo is starting to look like he's no Mo.
Farnsworth was very productive with the Braves before the d@mn Yankees came and lured him away with lots of $. Serves both of them right.
Old Tue May 08, 2007, 12:27pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
Farnsworth was very productive with the Braves before the d@mn Yankees came and lured him away with lots of $. Serves both of them right.
He was only with Atlanta for the last half of a year. He was a pick-up from Detroit to try and get them into the playoffs. He had a 4.40 ERA that part year with Atlanta. That sureasheck ain't Hall of Fame numbers. Atlanta was then smart enough not to go after him big-time.

Farnsworth was with the Cubs for the first 6 years of his career. "Nuff said.
Old Tue May 08, 2007, 01:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Farnsworth was with the Cubs for the first 6 years of his career. "Nuff said.
I don't get it.

Anyway, Kyle's always had no problems with the muscles in his arm; he's been consistently in the 90's with his fastball and has a wicked slider. The problem has been the muscle between his ears.

One of my favorite Farnsworth stories involves him and one of the "Take Me Out to the Ballgame" singers. As you probably know, they still have guest singers come in every game to sing the song during the 7th-inning stretch, in honor of Harry Carey. One game, the guest singer was Shania Twain, and she came down to the locker room before the game to meet the players. Kyle decided he was going to make an impression on her, so he physically picks her up, and proceeds to carry her around the locker room. I thought I read she wasn't entirely impressed with the move.

You gotta love the attempt, though. Me, I would've just sat there and drooled.

(Used with permission.)
Old Tue May 08, 2007, 02:11pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy
Kyle decided he was going to make an impression on her, so he physically picks her up, and proceeds to carry her around the locker room. I thought I read she wasn't entirely impressed with the move.
I'm picturing Timothy ["Meat"]Robbins in Bull Durham.
Old Tue May 08, 2007, 02:25pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy
Anyway, Kyle's always had no problems with the muscles in his arm; he's been consistently in the 90's with his fastball and has a wicked slider.
The problem is that the ball is usually coming back at him faster than he can throw it. His fast ball is fast but straight. He doesn't scare anybody.
Old Tue May 08, 2007, 02:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick
I'm picturing Timothy ["Meat"]Robbins in Bull Durham.
You can picture Tim Robbins.

I'm over here picturing Susan Sarandon.

But, yes, there are some similarities.

(Used with permission.)
Old Tue May 08, 2007, 02:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The problem is that the ball is usually coming back at him faster than he can throw it. His fast ball is fast but straight. He doesn't scare anybody.
That's where the muscle between his ears comes in - he's still thinking he get by on speed alone. Maybe that worked in HS and college, but in the majors. If he just perfected his off-speed stuff, it wouldn't matter how straight the fast ball was, it would blow by hitters looking off-speed.

(Used with permission.)
Old Wed May 09, 2007, 06:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
As long as we keep getting calls like that one at second last night, we won't need any better pitching!! Bloomquist was out by a long shot, but hey - we'll take it!
I'm a Yankees fan and I was talking to my older son last night (he lives in Tumwater and is a Mariner fan) about that particular play and he said the ump was right -- it's OK to be tagged 2 feet short of the bag and not be out if you are playing the Yankees.
Old Wed May 09, 2007, 07:07am
In Memoriam

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblref
I'm a Yankees fan and I was talking to my older son last night (he lives in Tumwater and is a Mariner fan) about that particular play and he said the ump was right -- it's OK to be tagged 2 feet short of the bag and not be out if you are playing the Yankees.
That works.
Clears it U.P. for me.
Old Wed May 09, 2007, 08:35pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Tit-for-tat, Rocky.
Mariners just became a victim at the plate for the last out of their 4th.
Safe by 12" ? Nope, out.
Old Thu May 10, 2007, 09:51am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
First time EVER that the Cubbies have won a 1-0 game at home, where the only run was scored on a lead-off HR! EVER! 19,000+ games. Pitcher only gave up 3 hits on top of that. Pretty good night at Wrigley.
Old Thu May 10, 2007, 10:08am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckElias
First time EVER that the Cubbies have won a 1-0 game at home, where the only run was scored on a lead-off HR! EVER! 19,000+ games. Pitcher only gave up 3 hits on top of that. Pretty good night at Wrigley.
19,000+ games *total*?

Or 19,000+ games that the Cubs won at home?
Old Thu May 10, 2007, 10:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
19,000+ games *total*?

Or 19,000+ games that the Cubs won at home?
I had heard the same stat, and assumed it was over 19,000+ total games played at Wrigley. However, if we assume a 162-game schedule, and 81 games played at home, per year, that comes out to 234 years to get to 19,000 total games! (And that's not even taking into account the schedules were less than 162 games/yr. going back a ways.) I'll have to see if I can get that stat verified.

The night before, the game went 15 innings and over 4 1/2 hours, and every pitcher on the staff was used except Marquis, Hill, Zambrano and Guzman (all starters). Zambrano even went to the bullpen in case he was needed. Considering the staff needed the rest, you couldn't script it any better to have the starter throw a complete-game shutout the next night, and only take 2 hours to do it.

And for those that are thinking it, it wasn't 234 years since the last WS win, either.

(Used with permission.)