The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Nov 29, 2001, 11:09pm
Official Forum Member

Just wondering what the most technical fouls you guys and gals have had in your games. Tonight, I had 3 games and four technicals, one of them flagrant, resulting in 2 ejections and one forfeit.

(Both games are college intramurals)

Game 1: Girl wearing jewelery on the court - automatic T in our league.

Game 2: B1 gets called for a block on a made shooting foul. Takes the ball, slams it down, I call a T. We now have 1 shot for A1, 2 points for A (league rules), and A ball.

As I report the foul, B1 (who sat himself out of the game) shouts (loud enough for the gym to hear) "****!" - Technical #2 - he's out of the game and out of the court.

Few plays later, I'm under A's basket. B2 takes a shot, misses, is barely touched, and falls to the floor - a "no call" (whether they exist or not). His response: "**** you, ref!" - TWEET! - Flagrant Technical - he's out of the game.

We go a few more plays, and A calls timeout. B2 comes back up to the court. We hold up play to get him to leave when the supervisor waves us over and lets us know that two ejections results in a forfeit - game over.

Of course, I got all the questions: "What did he say?" - "Ask him!" "Come on, we're all in college, we're all mature (okaaaaay), and we can handle profanity." - "I don't take that in my games."

The best, B3 calmly comes up to me and asks if I knew when calling the flagrant T that two ejections was a forfeit (I didn't). He then asked if I would have just had called the kid over and warned him. My response - (something like) 'I make the calls regardless of the situation, and what he did definately deserved a technical.'

Thanks for once again letting me vent!!
Old Fri Nov 30, 2001, 12:48am
Official Forum Member

Not even close to a record.

I still work rec league ball from time to time.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Fri Nov 30, 2001, 03:27am
Official Forum Member

One of my personal favourites was the coach several years ago who had been warned on several occasions to sit down and keep it shut.

There is less that 1 minute to go, his team is up by 2 and his star player gets his fifth foul with a charge (my partner called it, but from where I was it was a good one). The coach goes balastic that "we" have fouled his player out. The F word flies along with a few other nicities.

I'm the trail and standing in front of his bench, so I immediately toss him. His reaction, and I quote: "You can't toss me, I've only got one T, you have to get 2 before you are ejected."

So he promptly gets his second from me, the other team hits 3 out of the 4 free throws and then scores a 3 after being given possession.

The other team ended up winning by 5. poetic justice

Visit www.geocities.com/oz_referee
Old Fri Nov 30, 2001, 08:06am
Official Forum Member

Question?

Quote:
Originally posted by Oz Referee
One of my personal favourites was the coach several years ago who had been warned on several occasions to sit down and keep it shut.

There is less that 1 minute to go, his team is up by 2 and his star player gets his fifth foul with a charge (my partner called it, but from where I was it was a good one). The coach goes balastic that "we" have fouled his player out. The F word flies along with a few other nicities.

I'm the trail and standing in front of his bench, so I immediately toss him. His reaction, and I quote: "You can't toss me, I've only got one T, you have to get 2 before you are ejected."

So he promptly gets his second from me, the other team hits 3 out of the 4 free throws and then scores a 3 after being given possession.

The other team ended up winning by 5. poetic justice
Duane, assuming you were reffing FIBA rules...Upon tossing the coach you are calling a "Disqualifying" foul (not a "T") which results in an ejection and 2 plus the ball. The coach is now now longer part of the contest. You're second foul ("T")is not possible and therefore you only shoot 2 shots and give possession to Team B. Why did they shoot 4 shots?
Old Fri Nov 30, 2001, 09:25am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Re: Question?

originally posted by Mark Dexter
Quote:
Just wondering what the most technical fouls you guys and gals have had in your games
First of all, I think Billy Crystal holds the record.

Billy: Tweet! "You're outta here, Kareem!"

Kareem: "What?!?! You can't throw me out! This is my farewell game!!"

Billy: "Well, then let me be the first to say. . .farewell!"

[QUOTE]Originally posted by JeffRef
Quote:
Upon tossing the coach you are calling a "Disqualifying" foul (not a "T"). The coach is now now longer part of the contest. You're second foul ("T")is not possible
I don't know FIBA rules, but you can certainly T a coach who has already been ejected. I wouldn't like to do it, and would only do it in extreme circumstance, but it's possible. Teddy Valentine did it, but he caught a world of trouble for it. If a coach receives his second T (which results in ejection), he is no longer part of the contest. But if he curses you out loud enough for the whole gym to hear before you can get him to leave, then I think you could justifiably T him again.

Is this not acceptable in FIBA?

Chuck
Old Fri Nov 30, 2001, 12:31pm
Administrator

I do not know about most technical fouls, but I have on situation that sticks out for me:

A number of years ago in the Regionals of the Ohio Games (Olympics style state games) in a boys 16U game: Team A is getting their clocks cleaned when A1 steals the ball. A2 runs down the court ahead of him and (I am not lying) gets down on his hands and knees and lets A1 jump off his back and then A1 dunks the ball. I immediately whistled the ball dead and T'ed A1 and A2 for violating NFHS R10-S3-A8e, and I T'ed A1 for violating NFHS R10-S3-A5. The second T on A1 was for dunking a dead ball and the false multiple T's were for climbing or or lifting a teammate to secure a greater height. Three T's for the price of one, it does not get any better than that.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Fri Nov 30, 2001, 01:06pm
Official Forum Member

I'm sorry, I see a blatantly illegal act that requires a "T," But I sincerely hope you are joking when you say you handed out 3 Ts for this - especially the one for dunking a dead ball. This technical is for the unsporting dunking of a ball after the participants know the play has been blown dead. Under your reasoning, you could have a player charge while jumping over a defender (immediate dead ball) and then be T'd up for finishing off with a dunk - even though the player would not know the ball was dead until the charge (vs block) call is made. You surely could not have blown the whistle until after the A1 went off the A2's back, at which point A1 is already dunking the ball, so we have no dead ball dunk violation unless you are just T happy.

Granted, both players committed an unsporting act. I would pick one or the other to T up (the one on the floor gets my vote) and get out with one. If you really felt the need, you could whack both of them, but I think the point was made with just one T. And how can you say that it gets no better than 3 Ts for one act - I find that attitude in a referee particularly galling. If they compound their error by arguing or slamming the ball, so be it.

Also, did you then eject A1 for the second T? And is this the intent of the rules as you read and instruct them?

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
I do not know about most technical fouls, but I have on situation that sticks out for me:

A number of years ago in the Regionals of the Ohio Games (Olympics style state games) in a boys 16U game: Team A is getting their clocks cleaned when A1 steals the ball. A2 runs down the court ahead of him and (I am not lying) gets down on his hands and knees and lets A1 jump off his back and then A1 dunks the ball. I immediately whistled the ball dead and T'ed A1 and A2 for violating NFHS R10-S3-A8e, and I T'ed A1 for violating NFHS R10-S3-A5. The second T on A1 was for dunking a dead ball and the false multiple T's were for climbing or or lifting a teammate to secure a greater height. Three T's for the price of one, it does not get any better than that.
Old Fri Nov 30, 2001, 02:04pm
Official Forum Member

Player Technical: Rule 10.3.8.e. Climbing on or lifting a teammate to secure greater height.

Upon reading rules, I would change my call to a T only on A1 (originally I had it on A2), for "Climbing on a teammate to secure greater height." In this case, A2 did not actively lift anyone, so no T. Although it is clear that A2 intended to aid A1, A1 actually committed the violation as defined in the rules. I was pretty sure that this was an either/or call, and you couldn't hit both. Thoughts?
Old Fri Nov 30, 2001, 02:21pm
Official Forum Member

I would automatically give A1 a T for climbing on the back.

A2 would be iffier - he didn't quite lift, but he definately gave A1 an illegal advantage. For me, this would be a have to see, but I'd probably not call the T on A2.

The T on A1 for the dead ball dunk - the intent of that rule is to stop showboating when the players know the ball is dead. I.e., whistle for a foul off ball, a few seconds go by, and B4 picks up the ball and dunks it. Here the dunk was simultaneous with the ball becoming dead, and I think it should be ignored.
Old Fri Nov 30, 2001, 03:08pm
In Memoriam

Mark,I think your way is the common sense way.Team A is getting their "clocks cleaned",so they're just jerking around and not really committing an unsportsmanlike act.It might be different if the score is reversed and A is way ahead.I think one T gets the message across,even though Mr.DeNucci Sr.' way can be justified literally in the rulebook.Gotta admit though that this is the first time I ever heard of a "false multiple technical foul" being called.Can anyone think of any other sitch where you could find one?
Old Fri Nov 30, 2001, 03:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
Just wondering what the most technical fouls you guys and gals have had in your games. Tonight, I had 3 games and four technicals, one of them flagrant, resulting in 2 ejections and one forfeit.

Thanks for once again letting me vent!!
One Flagrant Personal, for excessively hard contact, 1 Regular Technical for the assistant coach for coming onto the court to argue the call, 2 Flagrant Technicals on the same coach for first refusing to leave the court and then for coming back onto the court to tell be one more thing.

So 3 Ts and a Flagrant personal all in less than 4 minutes.
Old Fri Nov 30, 2001, 03:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Mark,I think your way is the common sense way.Team A is getting their "clocks cleaned",so they're just jerking around and not really committing an unsportsmanlike act.It might be different if the score is reversed and A is way ahead.I think one T gets the message across,even though Mr.DeNucci Sr.' way can be justified literally in the rulebook.Gotta admit though that this is the first time I ever heard of a "false multiple technical foul" being called.Can anyone think of any other sitch where you could find one?
I wouldn't want to have a false mult. tech. foul situation!
Old Fri Nov 30, 2001, 03:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Hawks Coach
I'm sorry, I see a blatantly illegal act that requires a "T," But I sincerely hope you are joking when you say you handed out 3 Ts for this - especially the one for dunking a dead ball.
I know the original situation was under FED rules, but I thought I'd bring up the following NCAA (men) ruling (10-3.12, AR3): A1 dunks and in so doing grasps the ring with a free hand before the ball leaves his other hand. Ruling: A1 shall be assessed with two indirect technical fouls, one for grasping the ring and the other for dunking a dead ball.
Old Fri Nov 30, 2001, 04:03pm
Esteemed Participant

My record is 4 T's - all during the same dead ball with 24 seconds to go in overtime!! Actually, I only called two of them...Women's JC game...visiting team down by 1 and calls time-out with ball just over division line...inbound pass goes to player standing in center circle - with both feet in frontcourt...as she starts her dribble she steps backward - twwet for the over-and-back...coach starts screaming "You are full of ****", so he gets first...then coach charges onto court and tells me I am a "little motherf*****", so he gets #2 and has to leave...as he is leaving he grabs a water bottle and throws it at my partner, who hits him for #3...before we put ball in play, ***'t coach says something to my partner about getting "f*****" on the road, so he T's him also...8 free throws later, the home team inbounds ball and runs out the clock to win by 7...visiting players spent whole time during shots telling me how sorry they were and how embarrassed they were...
Old Fri Nov 30, 2001, 04:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rockyroad
visiting players spent whole time during shots telling me how sorry they were and how embarrassed they were...
I hate when coaches go and ruin a good game for their teams like this!