View Single Post
Old Fri Nov 30, 2001, 01:06pm
Official Forum Member

I'm sorry, I see a blatantly illegal act that requires a "T," But I sincerely hope you are joking when you say you handed out 3 Ts for this - especially the one for dunking a dead ball. This technical is for the unsporting dunking of a ball after the participants know the play has been blown dead. Under your reasoning, you could have a player charge while jumping over a defender (immediate dead ball) and then be T'd up for finishing off with a dunk - even though the player would not know the ball was dead until the charge (vs block) call is made. You surely could not have blown the whistle until after the A1 went off the A2's back, at which point A1 is already dunking the ball, so we have no dead ball dunk violation unless you are just T happy.

Granted, both players committed an unsporting act. I would pick one or the other to T up (the one on the floor gets my vote) and get out with one. If you really felt the need, you could whack both of them, but I think the point was made with just one T. And how can you say that it gets no better than 3 Ts for one act - I find that attitude in a referee particularly galling. If they compound their error by arguing or slamming the ball, so be it.

Also, did you then eject A1 for the second T? And is this the intent of the rules as you read and instruct them?

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
I do not know about most technical fouls, but I have on situation that sticks out for me:

A number of years ago in the Regionals of the Ohio Games (Olympics style state games) in a boys 16U game: Team A is getting their clocks cleaned when A1 steals the ball. A2 runs down the court ahead of him and (I am not lying) gets down on his hands and knees and lets A1 jump off his back and then A1 dunks the ball. I immediately whistled the ball dead and T'ed A1 and A2 for violating NFHS R10-S3-A8e, and I T'ed A1 for violating NFHS R10-S3-A5. The second T on A1 was for dunking a dead ball and the false multiple T's were for climbing or or lifting a teammate to secure a greater height. Three T's for the price of one, it does not get any better than that.