The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 09, 2007, 02:09am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to dave30
LSU game offensive foul

ESPN showed the offensive foul against LSU late in the game where the player and the defender were running on the right side of the court. ESPN replayed it and called it "the worst call of the day". The referee had an angle with the players coming directly at him. Wouldn't you think ESPN could realize that they are looking at it from the TV angle where you cannot tell if the player lowered his shoulder into the defense or not? The official was very confident with his call so I'm inclined to believe the offensive player leaned in and forced the contact and the defense had legal guarding position.
Old Fri Mar 09, 2007, 07:52am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave30
ESPN showed the offensive foul against LSU late in the game where the player and the defender were running on the right side of the court. ESPN replayed it and called it "the worst call of the day". The referee had an angle with the players coming directly at him. Wouldn't you think ESPN could realize that they are looking at it from the TV angle where you cannot tell if the player lowered his shoulder into the defense or not? The official was very confident with his call so I'm inclined to believe the offensive player leaned in and forced the contact and the defense had legal guarding position.
I was on the phone getting my 'mack' on while watching the game. I was immediately like "whoaa" right in the middle of my conversation. But when I saw the replay it's clear the LSU player lowers his shoulder and the Lead on this play had the perfect angle to see between the players and to pick up the defender. And the official did come out very strong and confident with his call.
Old Fri Mar 09, 2007, 11:58am
M.A.S.H.

I agree, I thought it was the right call. ESPN doesn't know sh*t, they just think they do.
Old Fri Mar 09, 2007, 12:03pm
Official Forum Member

I am also sick of Stuart Scott -- hes so 2001.
Old Fri Mar 09, 2007, 04:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave30
I totally disagree. I was just waiting for, I believe it was Bert Smith, to come out of there with a block and bang home the "And 1", and was totally puzzled when he did not. I thought the defender at the last second tried to whip his body into position as the offensive player was gathering the ball. I also disagree with him being in a "perfect" position. From his angle he could not really tell whether the player lowered the shoulder, which I also believe the offensive player did no such thing, but that is just my opinion.
Old Fri Mar 09, 2007, 04:57pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

did the defender have LGP?
Old Fri Mar 09, 2007, 05:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
did the defender have LGP?
I don't believe the defender ever fully got between the player and the basket. I thought he was more on his hip the whole time.
Old Fri Mar 09, 2007, 05:16pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by btaylor64
I totally disagree. I was just waiting for, I believe it was Bert Smith, to come out of there with a block and bang home the "And 1", and was totally puzzled when he did not. I thought the defender at the last second tried to whip his body into position as the offensive player was gathering the ball. I also disagree with him being in a "perfect" position. From his angle he could not really tell whether the player lowered the shoulder, which I also believe the offensive player did no such thing, but that is just my opinion.
This is my opinion as well. I don't believe it was the worst call ever but.....damn did he sell that call! I disagree that it was an offensive foul because the defender was moving with the play. He was not stationary. Usually, when the player has an angle to the bucket, and the defender is moving, and it's a very close game. YOU LET EM PLAY! How do you penalize one over the over when they both are moving, there's contact both ways, and I didn't see anybody do anything cheap.

Now here's the gotcha. Did you see the coaches reaction afterwards? With all the antics he did over that call, why didn't he get a technical? I can only imagine what he was saying, and you can bet it was 50x's worse than, you got something against my player!

Last edited by Old School; Fri Mar 09, 2007 at 05:25pm.
Old Fri Mar 09, 2007, 05:21pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School
I disagree that it was an offensive foul because the defender was moving with the play. He was not stationary. Usually, when the player has an angle to the bucket, and the defender is moving, and it's a very close game.
All irrelevant, but thanks for playing.
Old Fri Mar 09, 2007, 06:38pm
Official Forum Member

While we're talking block/charge

7:25 2nd half Bucknell vs Holy Cross

Turnover Bucknell at the top of the key turns into Holy Cross fast break...

opinions?

(There's now 3:00 to go as I post)
Old Sat Mar 10, 2007, 01:16am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to dave30
I don't remember that play, but the Bucknell coach sure does whine a lot!
Old Sat Mar 10, 2007, 07:53am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by btaylor64
I thought the defender at the last second tried to whip his body into position as the offensive player was gathering the ball.
And this is a problem because. . .?
Old Mon Mar 12, 2007, 08:18pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
And this is a problem because. . .?
This is a problem because the call was offensive. The defender needs to be set in front of the offensive player. True, you could call a offensive foul from an elbow or a push while both players are moving. However, with the game in the balance, I think the official reach on this one, and I also think if he had it to do over, he would not make that call. All in all, he's probably not going to get another playoff game because of that one call. He certainly won't make the Final Four with end of game judgement like that. He has great mechanics though. Great mechanics plus poor judgement = no more playoff games, imho.
Old Mon Mar 12, 2007, 09:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School
This is a problem because the call was offensive. The defender needs to be set in front of the offensive player. True, you could call a offensive foul from an elbow or a push while both players are moving. However, with the game in the balance, I think the official reach on this one, and I also think if he had it to do over, he would not make that call. All in all, he's probably not going to get another playoff game because of that one call. He certainly won't make the Final Four with end of game judgement like that. He has great mechanics though. Great mechanics plus poor judgement = no more playoff games, imho.

Really???? So, if I have LGP, while sliding laterally w/ an offensive player, and he runs through me, even though he doesn't dip a shoulder or throw an elbow, you're calling a block on me????? You would also then be calling a technical on me as well, I believe. And probably my coach, and the ***'t coach, and ......

No playoffs for you either, IMHO.
Old Mon Mar 12, 2007, 10:48pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

A complete lack of understanding of LGP is no surprise here; well said, tmp44. I hate when people say "he wasn't set." No such requirement.