The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Nov 27, 2005, 03:16am
Official Forum Member

Question

Ok I'm a basketball player in High School here in California (CIF).

I used to play post a lot (i'm 6'4 and 168lbs), but due to my weight and how much i've progressed, I'm moving to a 2 or 3 guard. However, I'm sure there will be times when I will be matched up against smaller PFs or even centers.

I have a question for two rule sets: the NBA and high school in California.

If I am posting up my defender, can I "lower my shoulder" and do a power move to push him under the basket?

What if he is moving?

What if he has his feet set?

What if he is in the "no charge" circle under the basket?

Due do my weight, I need to dip my shoulder a little bit to put some force in the post or else I just get pushed out when I go to make a move.
Old Sun Nov 27, 2005, 04:26am
In Memoriam

Who knows what a foul on a post player is in the NBA? If somebody tells you they do, tell 'em to watch Shaq run people over for a while.

High school-- I'm not sure if the CIF uses NFHS rules or modified NCAA rules, but it doesn't really matter. It's always your foul if you lower your shoulder and push off your opponent. It also doesn't matter if your defender is moving or has his feet set either. The general rule is that if you lower your shoulder and contact the defender in the torso, it's your foul. Iow, good luck to you if you try that move.

Forget the "no charge" circle. That only applies if the CIF is using womens NCAA rules. Even then, it doesn't sound like that rule is applicable to what you're describing anyway.

Welcome to the forum.
Old Sun Nov 27, 2005, 01:45pm
Official Forum Member

As JR stated it doesn't matter - you lower your shoulder its an offensive foul.

As for the semi-circle, in the NBA it is only used for a secondary defender IIRC. Meaning that it is irrelevant in this situation.
Old Sun Nov 27, 2005, 03:24pm
Official Forum Member

If you lower your shoulder you're going to get called for the foul nearly every time. Work on better habits -- like positioning or beating your man with speed. You might want to hit the weight room hard in the off season to get stronger and work to develop the mental part of the game to play smarter than your opponents.
Old Sun Nov 27, 2005, 04:33pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Thanks for the replies. I've just seen some people get away with it while other's havent. I'm more inclinded to bump the guy in the post and then fade away or put up the hook.

But yes I am working on the weights and stuff... I just want to expand my game a little
Old Mon Nov 28, 2005, 12:51pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Num33BallerCCS
... I just want to expand my game a little
As long as you don't expand your game directly into the defender who has legal guarding position, you'll be fine.
Old Mon Nov 28, 2005, 01:30pm
Official Forum Member

lol well I played post mostly for my defense. I'm a pretty good blocker and rebounder, but I didn't have many offensive moves... :P

And I've seen some of the bigger guys get away with it, but when i tried it I got called for a foul real quick... So I just had a question about it.
Old Mon Nov 28, 2005, 03:02pm
Official Forum Member

God....there are a lot of things wrong with this post. First, to Num33......if you are a Post Player you can only "regress" to a 2 or 3. Post Players are the kings of roundball. 2's and 3's were invented by Dr. Neismith just to get us the ball.

Second, don't hit the Weight Room. See a good shrink instead. What you need to do to be a Pivot Man is lose your conscience. Just think.....black hole.....black hole.....

Post play is all about getting a stride's distance from the defender. You contact him just before the inbounding throw is made. Then it's a BIG junp step to meet the ball and gain distance from him. You land on the foot opposite your shooting hand and pivot on the catch. Did I mention you ALWAYS ALWAYS shoot it?

Remember, if you are guarded by a taller player that you can fake the turnaround take a step on your non-pivot foot, raise your pivot foot and throw in a nice throw-back scoop shot. (I'm getting tears in my eyes thinking about it.) I loved watching those big freaks fly by my right shoulder with that dumb look on their faces. Just don't mess up by passing it back out to a lousey 2 or 3.

Serously, trying to wedge the defender and have the ball come into you seldom works. It just attracts secondary defenders like the nasty fruitflies they truly are.
Old Mon Nov 28, 2005, 09:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Num33BallerCCS
Ok I'm a basketball player in High School here in California (CIF).

I used to play post a lot (i'm 6'4 and 168lbs), but due to my weight and how much i've progressed, I'm moving to a 2 or 3 guard. However, I'm sure there will be times when I will be matched up against smaller PFs or even centers.

I have a question for two rule sets: the NBA and high school in California.

If I am posting up my defender, can I "lower my shoulder" and do a power move to push him under the basket?

What if he is moving?

What if he has his feet set?

What if he is in the "no charge" circle under the basket?

Due do my weight, I need to dip my shoulder a little bit to put some force in the post or else I just get pushed out when I go to make a move.
To answer your question:

No you can't attempt to get closer to the goal by attempting to "go through" the player.

Doesn't matter if he is moving.

Doesn't matter if his feet are set.

That "no charge" area is called the restricted area. I know this won't make any sense to you, but I will try to explain:

If a play originates in the Lower defensive box, which you will only see on an NBA court, the restricted area has no bearing on whether it is a charge or not.

Good luck on the season. With your size it sounds like you need to be a finesse player. I was 6 foot and 175 pounds when I was in school so you are going to have to get your swole on if you want to power people. I know it sounds weird but I played the post as well in high school, and JCROW has got it right, if you can stay at the post do so and if not get down there often. I loved nothing more than the people in my district seeing me go from PG to C and me doing a heck of a job in the post for my size. Keep working hard.
Old Tue Nov 29, 2005, 01:45am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by JCrow
God....there are a lot of things wrong with this post. First, to Num33......if you are a Post Player you can only "regress" to a 2 or 3. Post Players are the kings of roundball. 2's and 3's were invented by Dr. Neismith just to get us the ball.

Second, don't hit the Weight Room. See a good shrink instead. What you need to do to be a Pivot Man is lose your conscience. Just think.....black hole.....black hole.....

Post play is all about getting a stride's distance from the defender. You contact him just before the inbounding throw is made. Then it's a BIG junp step to meet the ball and gain distance from him. You land on the foot opposite your shooting hand and pivot on the catch. Did I mention you ALWAYS ALWAYS shoot it?

Remember, if you are guarded by a taller player that you can fake the turnaround take a step on your non-pivot foot, raise your pivot foot and throw in a nice throw-back scoop shot. (I'm getting tears in my eyes thinking about it.) I loved watching those big freaks fly by my right shoulder with that dumb look on their faces. Just don't mess up by passing it back out to a lousey 2 or 3.

Serously, trying to wedge the defender and have the ball come into you seldom works. It just attracts secondary defenders like the nasty fruitflies they truly are.
AHA!! The truth about JCrow comes out now!

Although I can't accuse you of being a troll, still you are a player in disguise. It's just a nice thing to know...
Old Tue Nov 29, 2005, 07:46am
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally posted by refTN
If a play originates in the Lower defensive box, which you will only see on an NBA court, the restricted area has no bearing on whether it is a charge or not.

[/B]
I haven't really paid attention, but are you saying a NBA court will have the LDB marked? I will have to look the next time I watch a game. Just like primaries, I thought the LDB was an area known but not marked on the court.
Old Tue Nov 29, 2005, 08:57am
Official Forum Member

RainMaker.....harp music......back to 1968. It's my Junior year in HS. I'm the last guy on the bench. I see about 30 seconds action in games we are up by 20 or down by 20. I HAVEN'T scored a point all year. (You can take a lot of shots in 30 seconds, too.)

Every darn turnaround I've taken all year has been in and out or rolled around and out. My Coach is tough. He keeps me on the Team to serve as a bad example to better players. Plus, nobody takes verbal abuse better than me.

Last regular season game. We are up by 22. I'm in and the other Team is fc pressing. I get a great pass from some guard that busted his hump to break the press and lay it in!!! 2-points. GLORY! I've finally scored a varsity point!

Next time we have the ball, another fc press. I get another long pass. A defender sticks his finger in my right eye up to the third hairy knuckle. Arrrghh....I'm totally blinded. Both eyes tear up, immediately. I take two dribbles and shoot a 15-foot fadeway. I think it hit the Concession Stand. I'm blind. The Ref calls time out and they have to lead me off the court into the locker room.

Pretty bad injury. Eye cut. Takes a week to get clear vision back. When I return to practice the Coach who was a tough guy says,

"John, good to have you back but I have a question. Why did you shoot that shot if you couldn't see?"

My reply was,

"Coach....I was hot."

Pivot players are born......not made.

Old Tue Nov 29, 2005, 11:43am
Official Forum Member

lol

I can relate. Last year I hardly played at all.... But thats definately changing
Old Tue Nov 29, 2005, 12:24pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by tomegun
I haven't really paid attention, but are you saying a NBA court will have the LDB marked? I will have to look the next time I watch a game. Just like primaries, I thought the LDB was an area known but not marked on the court.
As I'm sure you know, Tommy, the LDB is not outlined the way the FT lane is. The only court marking that specifically relates to the LDB is the 3' post-up mark on each side of the lane. The imaginary rectangle extends up to the bottom of the jump circle. And now that I think about it, there might be marks there, too. . .

But you are correct that the LDB is not outlined like the FT lane.
Old Tue Nov 29, 2005, 12:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tomegun
Quote:
Originally posted by refTN
I haven't really paid attention, but are you saying a NBA court will have the LDB marked? I will have to look the next time I watch a game. Just like primaries, I thought the LDB was an area known but not marked on the court. [/B]
Yes tomegun it is marked. It has the 3 foot posted up marks and marks on each side of the bottom tip of circle.