The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 08, 2007, 02:05pm
Official Forum Member

Phantom call in Clemson-FSU game?

Anyone see that call with 1.5 seconds left that put Thornton on the line? I didn't see a foul.
Old Thu Mar 08, 2007, 02:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC_Ref12
Anyone see that call with 1.5 seconds left that put Thornton on the line? I didn't see a foul.
I was about to type the same thing... I, ME, could've let that one go. This goes back to something I read on here before regarding SOME officials having a problem going into overtime (and I'm not saying this was the case). When I saw that call being made, I thought about that thread, and some of my fellow officials in my association talking about overtime like it was the plague.
Old Thu Mar 08, 2007, 02:22pm
Official Forum Member

Did you ever consider that the official may have had a different angle than you?
Old Thu Mar 08, 2007, 02:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmckenna
Did you ever consider that the official may have had a different angle than you?
Highly considered that. That is why I said that "I", with my angle (foot propped on the end table in my home office watching from a 26" television), would've passed on that call in that situation.
Old Thu Mar 08, 2007, 02:29pm
Official Forum Member

Maybe he just blew it, and saw something that wasn't there. It happens to everyone.
Old Thu Mar 08, 2007, 02:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmckenna
Yes, I did.
Old Thu Mar 08, 2007, 02:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by howie719
Maybe he just blew it, and saw something that wasn't there. It happens to everyone.
That's a possibility as well, and like the previous poster said, he probably had a much better angle. With that said, and I'm speaking for myself ONLY and would recommend each official do as they do. When it's a tie game and we're down under 30 seconds. The next deadball I'm conferencing the other 2 officials and letting them know to let the players win this game and not put anyone on the line for something ticky tacky. Watch the whole play and lets make sure that there is a CLEAR disadvantage to the offensive player's ability to get his/hers shot off. Again, that's just me.
Old Thu Mar 08, 2007, 03:00pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTheRef
That's a possibility as well, and like the previous poster said, he probably had a much better angle. With that said, and I'm speaking for myself ONLY and would recommend each official do as they do. When it's a tie game and we're down under 30 seconds. The next deadball I'm conferencing the other 2 officials and letting them know to let the players win this game and not put anyone on the line for something ticky tacky. Watch the whole play and lets make sure that there is a CLEAR disadvantage to the offensive player's ability to get his/hers shot off. Again, that's just me.
Whatever your philosophy on "ticky tacky" fouls the rest of the game; you should keep that the same for last second shots.
Old Thu Mar 08, 2007, 03:07pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTheRef
When it's a tie game and we're down under 30 seconds. The next deadball I'm conferencing the other 2 officials and letting them know to let the players win this game and not put anyone on the line for something ticky tacky. Watch the whole play and lets make sure that there is a CLEAR disadvantage to the offensive player's ability to get his/hers shot off. Again, that's just me.
Does that mean that it's OK to put players on the line for ticky-tacky fouls right up to the last 30 seconds?

Great idea. Avoid making last-second calls if you can.

Another way of saying "let the players win the game" is "don't call anything in the last few seconds".

Personally, I'd rather be consistent from the beginning of the game right up to the final horn. If it's a violation/foul you've been calling all game, then just call the damn thing. Again, that's just me.
Old Thu Mar 08, 2007, 03:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Does that mean that it's OK to put players on the line for ticky-tacky fouls right up to the last 30 seconds?

Great idea. Avoid making last-second calls if you can.

Another way of saying "let the players win the game" is "don't call anything in the last few seconds".

Personally, I'd rather be consistent from the beginning of the game right up to the final horn. If it's a violation/foul you've been calling all game, then just call the damn thing. Again, that's just me.
For me, when we get together at that timeout and I'm the R, I usually just say let's not change anything. Business as usual. We've had high certainty calls all game so let's finish the same way.
Old Thu Mar 08, 2007, 03:19pm
Official Forum Member

I didn't see the call, but this year, I had 2 games within a week of each other where I called fouls late in a tied or 1 point game. In the second game, there was no question. The shooter was driving the lane and got hammered. In the first, there was clearly contact that wasn't incidental, but I've thought about it over the last several weeks. I don't think I would make that call again.

Sometimes the whistle goes off and you make the call. The best thing to do is to reflect upon the sitch and learn from it.
Old Thu Mar 08, 2007, 03:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalreff
For me, when we get together at that timeout and I'm the R, I usually just say let's not change anything. Business as usual. We've had high certainty calls all game so let's finish the same way.
That's moreless what I'm trying to convey in my conference. My goal is to not have one of us make a call that hasn't been made all night, for example (real life) A1 receives the ball in the post, before any move is made or attempted to be made, B1 gets called for a hand in the back. Score is tied, with less then a minute left in OVERTIME. A1 goes to the line to shoot 2, and yes, in my opinion that call determined the outcome of the game. U2's reason for making the call, I've been telling them all night to get their hands down. So now he decides to call it for the first time all night with under a minute left in overtime.
Old Thu Mar 08, 2007, 03:51pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=JoeTheRef]That's moreless what I'm trying to convey in my conference. My goal is to not have one of us make a call that hasn't been made all night, for example (real life) A1 receives the ball in the post, before any move is made or attempted to be made, B1 gets called for a hand in the back. Score is tied, with less then a minute left in OVERTIME. A1 goes to the line to shoot 2, and yes, in my opinion that call determined the outcome of the game. U2's reason for making the call, I've been telling them all night to get their hands down.

Yep, this clearly identifies why that person is U2. This type of attitude would send me (personally) through roof on their a$$. You being telling them to keep hands off all night and did not have the GUTS!! to call it. You better not call it now. Joe, I understand where you are coming from.