The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jul 01, 2004, 06:24am
Official Forum Member

Men's ASA SP Rec League, last night. R1 on 1B, no outs. B2 hit a fast but "typical" double play ground ball to F4, who threw to F6 at 2B. F6 caught the thrown ball while running toward 2B and stepped over 2B, just missed stepping on 2B, and I am the only one who saw the miss. R1 was not even halfway between 1B and 2B as F6 approached 2B. R1 assumed he was already going to be out at 2B. R1 peeled off early and started to jog back to his dugout. I made no call at 2B, since the runner was neither safe nor out a that point. F6 threw to F3 at 1B to beat B2 for the out. This all happened VERY fast and NOONE noticed that I did not make any call at all on R1 at 2B. I did make the out call on B2 at 1B as soon as F3 caught the throw from F6. I waited in the infield in case a play was made, but none happened, as no one knew what had occurred. When R2 entered dugout area, I called "Two outs" and returned behind the plate as B3 stepped in. Everyone assumed that the play was a 4-6-3 double play, and I didn't say otherwise.

Am I obligated to signal, for the offense's benefit, that F6 did not tag the base when this happened as the play was unfolding? Even if the runner has already given up and is leaving the field? Or do I just let the play happen, as I did?

Thanks.

[Edited by Bluefoot on Jul 1st, 2004 at 07:27 AM]
Old Thu Jul 01, 2004, 06:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bluefoot
Men's ASA SP Rec League, last night. R1 on 1B, no outs. B2 hit a fast but "typical" double play ground ball to F4, who threw to F6 at 2B. F6 caught the thrown ball while running toward 2B and stepped over 2B, just missed stepping on 2B, and I am the only one who saw the miss. R1 was not even halfway between 1B and 2B as F6 approached 2B. R1 assumed he was already going to be out at 2B. R1 peeled off early and started to jog back to his dugout. I made no call at 2B, since the runner was neither safe nor out a that point. F6 threw to F3 at 1B to beat B2 for the out. This all happened VERY fast and NOONE noticed that I did not make any call at all on R1 at 2B. I did make the out call on B2 at 1B as soon as F3 caught the throw from F6. I waited in the infield in case a play was made, but none happened, as no one knew what had occurred. When R2 entered dugout area, I called "Two outs" and returned behind the plate as B3 stepped in. Everyone assumed that the play was a 4-6-3 double play, and I didn't say otherwise.

Am I obligated to signal, for the offense's benefit, that F6 did not tag the base when this happened as the play was unfolding? Even if the runner has already given up and is leaving the field? Or do I just let the play happen, as I did?

Thanks.

[Edited by Bluefoot on Jul 1st, 2004 at 07:27 AM]
Signal what? A runner cannot be safe if they do not touch or pass the base, so that would be inappropriate.

For that matter, in AA ball, I wouldn't even have announced the second out, just add it to my indicator. Now, if the offense complained the bag was not touched prior to R1 entering DBT, I would have agreed with them, but it is still up to the runner to attain the base, not the umpire to place him there.

Old Thu Jul 01, 2004, 06:56am
Official Forum Member

I also agree. If the baserunner does not continue to 2nd, there is no call to make. Let him walk off and turn that red wheel at the bottom of your indicator one notch.
Old Thu Jul 01, 2004, 07:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA
For that matter, in AA ball, I wouldn't even have announced the second out, just add it to my indicator...
Mike,

I would be interested in hearing how you recommend handling the similar fastpitch situation of a dropped third strike.

Whenever I have a dropped third strike and the batter-runner walks toward the dugout, I will remain alert for her to change her course and I will just watch. Once she enters the dugout, I give a "casual out" signal, and then catch my partners eye just to make sure he knows the situation.
Old Thu Jul 01, 2004, 07:40am
Official Forum Member

I do exactly the same.
Old Thu Jul 01, 2004, 08:58am
Official Forum Member

Talking

C'mon - don't you know AA's expect the neighborhood call, just like the Bigs?
Old Thu Jul 01, 2004, 09:06am
Official Forum Member

OK, I agree with everything so far. One twist, let's say offense does wake up when R1 is at 3rd base line (anywhere on that side but not in dead ball terrritory) and R1 runs directly back to 2nd base. Would they be liable to be called out for not running the bases in proper order?
Old Thu Jul 01, 2004, 09:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DaveASA/FED
OK, I agree with everything so far. One twist, let's say offense does wake up when R1 is at 3rd base line (anywhere on that side but not in dead ball terrritory) and R1 runs directly back to 2nd base. Would they be liable to be called out for not running the bases in proper order?
No.
Old Thu Jul 01, 2004, 10:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SC Ump

Mike,

I would be interested in hearing how you recommend handling the similar fastpitch situation of a dropped third strike.

Whenever I have a dropped third strike and the batter-runner walks toward the dugout, I will remain alert for her to change her course and I will just watch. Once she enters the dugout, I give a "casual out" signal, and then catch my partners eye just to make sure he knows the situation.
Sounds good to me. No reason for a show and your partner probably has a pretty wide grin by the time you look at him/her