The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 26, 2007, 12:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaref
In my original posting.....I described the situation as A1 "dribbling" the ball in his backcourt when he passes the ball to A2 who catches the pass while in-the-air having left his frontcourt....then landing in his backcourt with the ball.

It appears that most of the responses are as I would rule it.....I mentioned to the person posing the question to me....after reading the many responses....if maybe he left something out of his description of what happened.....like maybe the pass from A1 to A2 got tipped or deflected by a member of Team B. (Then we have nothing....just A2 regaining control and a new 10-second count beginning while he's in backcourt.)

Oh well.....it appears we are all in agreement with the original situation being a violation.
Correct (the last sentence), which is why I did not quote your OP. I qouted Mr. Tail's post hoping to signify my post applied to his post.

Read on for further correction.

Last edited by SamIAm; Mon Feb 26, 2007 at 03:13pm.
Old Mon Feb 26, 2007, 12:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
like maybe the pass from A1 to A2 got tipped or deflected by a member of Team B. (Then we have nothing....just A2 regaining control and a new 10-second count beginning while he's in backcourt.)
A tip doesn't matter (in this play). A still had team control. The ball still reached the FC. (when A2 touched the ball) A was still the last to touch (when A2 touched the ball). A was still the first to touch (when A2 landed).
Old Mon Feb 26, 2007, 02:37pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
In my original posting.....I described the situation as A1 "dribbling" the ball in his backcourt when he passes the ball to A2 who catches the pass while in-the-air having left his frontcourt....then landing in his backcourt with the ball.

It appears that most of the responses are as I would rule it.....I mentioned to the person posing the question to me....after reading the many responses....if maybe he left something out of his description of what happened.....like maybe the pass from A1 to A2 got tipped or deflected by a member of Team B. (Then we have nothing....just A2 regaining control and a new 10-second count beginning while he's in backcourt.)
Are you talking about the airborne catch and land? Still a violation even if the pass is tipped.
Old Mon Feb 26, 2007, 02:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
....if maybe he left something out of his description of what happened.....like maybe the pass from A1 to A2 got tipped or deflected by a member of Team B. (Then we have nothing....just A2 regaining control and a new 10-second count beginning while he's in backcourt.)
Wrong. This is still a BC violation. Without regard to what happens in the BC, when A2 catches the ball, he has FC status. When he lands in the BC, it's a violation.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Feb 26, 2007, 03:09pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef
Wrong. This is still a BC violation. Without regard to what happens in the BC, when A2 catches the ball, he has FC status. When he lands in the BC, it's a violation.
imaref,

Think of it as: Last to touch in the frontcourt, first to touch in the backcourt. No different than if B slaps the ball out of A's hands off A's body into the backcourt. If A touches first, it's a violation.
Old Mon Feb 26, 2007, 03:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
A tip doesn't matter (in this play). A still had team control. The ball still reached the FC. (when A2 touched the ball) A was still the last to touch (when A2 touched the ball). A was still the first to touch (when A2 landed).
Ahhhh....."good pick-up!" Bob. My mistake.....you are absolutely correct.

Now I've got everyone totally confused.... You can see how this sitch got things stirred up when officials get-together and go over "war stories".

It still appears that most of us are still of the opinion that a violation occurred.