The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Feb 24, 2007, 11:47pm
Official Forum Member

"Over-and-Back"....or Not?

Here you go rule buffs.....

Situation: Dribbler A1 is in his backcourt and passes the ball to teammate A2 who has jumped in the air from his team's frontcourt to catch the pass. A2 catches the pass while he is in the air and lands in his backcourt. Is this an "over-and-back" violation by A2? If not.....would you explain why it isn't, and/or cite the rule application for the 50% who don't know.
Old Sun Feb 25, 2007, 12:02am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaref

Situation: Dribbler A1 is in his backcourt and passes the ball to teammate A2 who has jumped in the air from his team's frontcourt to catch the pass. A2 catches the pass while he is in the air and lands in his backcourt. Is this an "over-and-back" violation by A2? If not.....would you explain why it isn't, and/or cite the rule application for the 50% who don't know.
Violation. Ball attains frontcourt status when caught in the air because A2 has frontcourt status until he touches in the backcourt.

You are where you are until you get where you're going.
Old Sun Feb 25, 2007, 12:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

The fact that A2 is airborne is really of no consequence. What is it important is that he has FC status. It's no different than if A2 caught the ball while standing in the FC and then stepped with one foot into the BC.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Feb 25, 2007, 12:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Think of it as being similar to a player leaping out of bounds and slapping an airborne ball back inbounds before he touches the floor. He keeps his inbound status as long as he is airborne.
Old Sun Feb 25, 2007, 12:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarthB
Think of it as being similar to a player leaping out of bounds and slapping an airborne ball back inbounds before he touches the floor. He keeps his inbound status as long as he is airborne.
That is a great way to describe his status to a coach!
Old Sun Feb 25, 2007, 11:17am
Official Forum Member

saw it this weekend

Had this call exactly in a regional semi final game Friday night.....yep I nailed it LOL
Old Sun Feb 25, 2007, 11:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmathews
Had this call exactly in a regional semi final game Friday night.....yep I nailed it LOL
We also had this play last night. I was C in front of home bench who committed the violation. My partner that was T on the opposite side of the floor made the call. Coach called a TO and questioned the call. I told him why. He understood it, even though he still didn't like it.
Old Sun Feb 25, 2007, 03:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

The only BC exceptions are in Rule 9-9-3.
Throw-in, Jump Ball and Defensive play. All require that Team Control does not exist and the player jumps from front court and both feet are off the ground.
Old Sun Feb 25, 2007, 09:24pm
Official Forum Member

Absolutely a violation. Easy way to remember it is "you are where you are until you get where you are going". Location of an airborne player is same as where he/she last touched the floor.
Old Sun Feb 25, 2007, 09:44pm
Official Forum Member

A2 leaping from front court secures the ball before it crosses the half court line. Still have back court?
Old Sun Feb 25, 2007, 09:47pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by shave-tail
A2 leaping from front court secures the ball before it crosses the half court line. Still have back court?
Yes - the ball is deemed to have achieved frontcourt status because it touched a player in the frontcourt (remember, A2 is considered in the frontcourt until he touches in the backcourt).
Old Sun Feb 25, 2007, 09:48pm
(Something hilarious)

Quote:
Yes. A2 and the ball's position in the air relative to the half court line are of no consequence. Still a violation.
Old Mon Feb 26, 2007, 10:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Most officials here know of the exceptions, I am making sure you do. Mark posted the correct call if the pass is not an inbound pass. Your sitch does not say where the pass came from. If an inbounding pass, it is allowed.
Old Mon Feb 26, 2007, 11:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamIAm
Most officials here know of the exceptions, I am making sure you do. Mark posted the correct call if the pass is not an inbound pass. Your sitch does not say where the pass came from. If an inbounding pass, it is allowed.
In my original posting.....I described the situation as A1 "dribbling" the ball in his backcourt when he passes the ball to A2 who catches the pass while in-the-air having left his frontcourt....then landing in his backcourt with the ball.

It appears that most of the responses are as I would rule it.....I mentioned to the person posing the question to me....after reading the many responses....if maybe he left something out of his description of what happened.....like maybe the pass from A1 to A2 got tipped or deflected by a member of Team B. (Then we have nothing....just A2 regaining control and a new 10-second count beginning while he's in backcourt.)

Oh well.....it appears we are all in agreement with the original situation being a violation.
Old Mon Feb 26, 2007, 12:27pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
.like maybe the pass from A1 to A2 got tipped or deflected by a member of Team B. (Then we have nothing....just A2 regaining control and a new 10-second count beginning while he's in backcourt.)
Simply tipping or deflecting the ball by the defense does not end Team A's team control in the backcourt. Therefore, the 10-second count continues.