The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 25, 2007, 11:59am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Bach
Does this mean you only call intentional or flagrant technical fouls? This must be some new form of game management -- call no dead ball contact until the game is beyond control.

I'll think I'll try it!
If the contact is intentional or flagrant during a dead ball, it's a technical foul. Please tell me what other types fo dead ball contact there are and how you'd punish them.

And then see Bob's reference again.
Old Sun Feb 25, 2007, 12:02pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Does this mean you only call intentional or flagrant technical fouls? This must be some new form of game management -- call no dead ball contact until the game is beyond control.

I'll think I'll try it!
If the ball is dead, you can't call a personal foul. It has to be a technical foul if anything. The rule (see Bob's post above for the reference) says it must be intentional or flagrant to call it.
Now, a purposeful shove or elbow definitely falls into the "intentional" category and allows you to call the technical foul here.
Old Sun Feb 25, 2007, 12:17pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapins Fan
I disagree with pretty much EVERYTHING you said here.
1)so we should worry about what the fans see? I did not say that!
2) agreed
3)Outright lie. We always get noticed no matter what we do, half the fans in the gym are yelling about something.
Shows what you know. When officials are hardly noticed in the game is when we do our best. Haven't you ever heard someone say I barely knew you guys where out there. That's because it was a good game, players played and everybody's attention was on the game. There was not much that needed to be called, and the best point, when a call needed to be made, you make it, nobody's got any complaints because everybody saw the say thing. The offcials are on top of it today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapins Fan
Girls are way worse at retaliation.
I can't believe you said this. If you really believe this, than I got some land in Florida for sale.
Old Sun Feb 25, 2007, 12:44pm
Official Forum Member

Old school do you referee girls basketball?

I still completely disagree with EVERYTHING you said. PERIOD. I am not even sure you are an official.

No I have never seen a game where anyone said " I didn't even know you guys were there".

I go to over 100 basketball games a year. I have for over 10 years. NEVER are the officials ignored.
Old Sun Feb 25, 2007, 12:52pm
Huck Finn

For some reason, my previous post is gone.

It sounds like the OP did what is right. If anyone doesn't make a call because it is a playoff or big game, that official is a coward. I don't understand why the importance - to the teams - of a game means some things would be overlooked. Doesn't add up to me.
Old Sun Feb 25, 2007, 12:53pm
Huck Finn

I'm squarely in the camp that believes Old School doesn't referee at all.
Old Sun Feb 25, 2007, 02:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
If the ball is dead, you can't call a personal foul. It has to be a technical foul if anything. The rule (see Bob's post above for the reference) says it must be intentional or flagrant to call it.
Now, a purposeful shove or elbow definitely falls into the "intentional" category and allows you to call the technical foul here.
I wish to refer you to the context of my original comment -- a sarcastic response to OS. Of course, dead ball fouls must be technical; however, the genius that is OS, master of the NBA, D-1, all levels/genders of HS, does not call a T unless it is flagrant or intentional. Clearly, his mastery of game management exceeds my ability to bow before it.
Old Sun Feb 25, 2007, 02:51pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Clearly, his mastery of game management exceeds my ability to bow before it.
Old Sun Feb 25, 2007, 02:51pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School
Shows what you know. When officials are hardly noticed in the game is when we do our best. Haven't you ever heard someone say I barely knew you guys where out there. That's because it was a good game, players played and everybody's attention was on the game. There was not much that needed to be called, and the best point, when a call needed to be made, you make it, nobody's got any complaints because everybody saw the say thing. The offcials are on top of it today.
This ties for....
Old Sun Feb 25, 2007, 02:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Jurassic Referee, where did you find that "smile?"

Last edited by MJT; Sun Feb 25, 2007 at 03:26pm.
Old Sun Feb 25, 2007, 03:02pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJT
Jurassic Referee, where did you find that "smile?"
Push the "quote" button on my post and you'll see the web site.

Try 1000smilies.com too
Old Sun Feb 25, 2007, 03:40pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
I think he probably referees, he just does not know what he is talking about. There are officials that think they know a lot more than what they have actually done.
From his very own lips.....

http://forum.officiating.com/showthr...533#post359533

Rec leagues for 10 years before he even opened a rule book......

Old School has also stated in another post that he's done well over 10,000 games since 1990. He's also posted that he's a college official and an assignor.

You're up to date now. Please show the proper respect.
Old Sun Feb 25, 2007, 04:35pm
Do not give a damn!!

This just proves that he does not know what he is talking about.

Peace
Old Sun Feb 25, 2007, 04:57pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmp44
Thoughts? One of the officials in my association who was at the game last night mentioned that, because it was a playoff game, maybe I should have held off on the T...anyone agree w/ that philosophy?
When I think about games like the SuperBowl or FF games, it seems to me that the games are officiated the same way. Players and coaches are used to regular season officiating. Why change philosophy becuase it's a playoff game. Granted, playoff officials will be used, who might have an advanced understanding implementing rules, but I don't think you should change a call because it's a playoff game.

In playoff games I've done, it's been obvious to me that the players and coaches *really* want a game flow, so I am extra sure that I don't hinder that notion.

If crap happens and you don't deal with it, it will re-appear.
Old Sun Feb 25, 2007, 05:02pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmp44
When the coach asked what the T was for, I told him that it was dead ball contact that, 1) had it been live ball, would have been a common foul or very possibly even an intentional, and 2) was unsportsmanlike towards B1.
You probably could have left number 1 out your explanation and just stuck with number 2. A1 shoved B1 during a deadball. That's an easy T to call and requires very little explanation. Play-off or not is really of no consequence.