The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 22, 2007, 10:31am
Official Forum Member

You're a men's official, huh???

Recently worked a mens' NAIA DII game with a vet in our associating and he asked if I was still working girls' game....I said yeah, just had one last night.

He proceeded to provide his $.02 on the fact that you can't do girls' and higher level boys'/men's games and not eventually have it come and bite you in the rear.....He said that the different in the games will leave you inconsistent from night-to-night.....He also said you take the risk of being labelled a women's/girls' official if you continue to do these games.....Are any of you running into the problem of being "labelled" girls/boys officials. Have worked two boys state tournaments already and was informed I'll be doing a girls tournament this season and that made me recall his "labelling" comment. I probably worked 20 girls dates this year compared to 40 boys/mens...

I frankly throw the BS flag on this.....Pre-game well, be patient before you put air in the whistle and know the game and you'll be fine IMHO.

Any comments.....
Old Thu Feb 22, 2007, 10:49am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by RushmoreRef
He proceeded to provide his $.02 on the fact that you can't do girls' and higher level boys'/men's games and not eventually have it come and bite you in the rear.....He said that the different in the games will leave you inconsistent from night-to-night.....He also said you take the risk of being labelled a women's/girls' official if you continue to do these games.....
Maybe your partner was lamenting what happened to him? I'm sure it has happened to some. But I'm just as sure there are others who haven't had this problem.

I have a buddy who started his NCAA career on the women's side. He still works NCAA-W for two (2) D3 conferences but his D2 conference supervisor moved him from the women's side to the men's side. So he is currently doing D3 women's and D2 men's.
Old Thu Feb 22, 2007, 10:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef
Maybe your partner was lamenting what happened to him? I'm sure it has happened to some. But I'm just as sure there are others who haven't had this problem.

I have a buddy who started his NCAA career on the women's side. He still works NCAA-W for two (2) D3 conferences but his D2 conference supervisor moved him from the women's side to the men's side. So he is currently doing D3 women's and D2 men's.
Vet I was with was as high as DII NCAA mens' and hasn't worked a girls' game in something like 11 years...that might have something to do with it too...

Do you really think that doing girls' will negatively affect the way you call a mens'/boys' game the next night....I just don't buy it....the only thing I could see is the rules differences and from FED to men's there is little difference.
Old Thu Feb 22, 2007, 10:53am
Official Forum Member

Every night I work during the regular season, I work a girls game, followed by a boys' game.

I guess I'm screwed, as is every other varsity official in NC.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Thu Feb 22, 2007, 10:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef
Every night I work during the regular season, I work a girls game, followed by a boys' game.

We do that a little here in SDak, but we just switched our girls to the winter (instead of fall) a few years back.....Do you work 3-person for all those games? Do college officials only work college or do they also do some high school?
Old Thu Feb 22, 2007, 11:13am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef

A good ref, like you BBR, can learn to make the adjustments necessary.
Old Thu Feb 22, 2007, 11:24am
Official Forum Member

I don't do college, but here in Maryland, we use a 30 second shot clock for girls ball, not for boys. We have no 10 second back court for girl, we do for boys.

There are times when I have to remember not to count the 10 sec. backcourt, but it's not that hard.

The biggest differences we have , is we do varsity contests with 3 man, and JV with 2 man... now that takes some thinking....

Some guys just have to tell you how much better they are than you....
Old Thu Feb 22, 2007, 11:28am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RushmoreRef
Vet I was with was as high as DII NCAA mens' and hasn't worked a girls' game in something like 11 years...that might have something to do with it too...

Do you really think that doing girls' will negatively affect the way you call a mens'/boys' game the next night....I just don't buy it....the only thing I could see is the rules differences and from FED to men's there is little difference.
In places that do not require you to work both games, you might have to deal with this on some level. I know if you decide to work girl's games where I live, it will eliminate you from other opportunities on the boy's side. I tried to work both men's and women's college basketball and it hurt me. So guys can talk all this PC crap about how this is not a factor, but the reality it is a huge factor. It is not about rules differences, it is about game differences. Girl's do not play above the rim, they do not play the same physically and they do not have the same skill sets That is one of the reasons being labeled a girl's officials for someone trying to work Men's and Boy's games can hurt you.

Peace
Old Thu Feb 22, 2007, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It is not about rules differences, it is about game differences. Girl's do not play above the rim, they do not play the same physically and they do not have the same skill sets That is one of the reasons being labeled a girl's officials for someone trying to work Men's and Boy's games can hurt you.

I understand the differences in the physical nature....but my argument is that it's a "label" and not an actual "truth"..... I don't necessarily want to continue to do both, I would rather do boys/men.....I just feel that gthe "you can't do both well" debate and at a high level is BS, if you know the rules and pregame you're not going to blow a call in a men's game because you are still stuck calling last night's game which was a girls contest. Or am I kidding myself......It's also very unfortunate that being a "women's official" is a stigma...and the only people that consider it that are the "men's officials".
Old Thu Feb 22, 2007, 11:41am
Official Forum Member

It certainly hasn't hurt me at the HS level. In fact, I feel that working both boys and girls games (and having to make the adjustment) has made me a better official. Don't "boys only" refs have to adjust between different skill levels and varying athletic abilities too? That seems like a silly argument to me.

When I first started officiating a long time ago, I worked a couple seasons of girls ball only (the guy that dragged me into officiating was a grizzled veteran and he had moved to girls only games as his footspeed had dwindled). The first year that I worked boys games as well, I encountered a little of that "girls only" perception but I got past that real quick.

I'm going to try to switch from doing women's JC to men's JC this summer so I'll see if it is an issue at the JC college level soon.
Old Thu Feb 22, 2007, 11:53am
Official Forum Member

JR is right. Out here you really need to make the choice. My assignor is a little different and he allows us to work men's and women's college. A lot of other assignors do not share the same feelings. If you are working women for someone else, you are a women's official and will not get men's games. That's just the way it is. That part doesn't bother me. The part that bothers me a little bit is the attitude from a lot of those guys that:

Men's Official = A+ ref
Women's Official = not good enough to do men
Old Thu Feb 22, 2007, 11:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebraman
It certainly hasn't hurt me at the HS level. In fact, I feel that working both boys and girls games (and having to make the adjustment) has made me a better official. Don't "boys only" refs have to adjust between different skill levels and varying athletic abilities too? That seems like a silly argument to me.

When I first started officiating a long time ago, I worked a couple seasons of girls ball only (the guy that dragged me into officiating was a grizzled veteran and he had moved to girls only games as his footspeed had dwindled). The first year that I worked boys games as well, I encountered a little of that "girls only" perception but I got past that real quick.

I'm going to try to switch from doing women's JC to men's JC this summer so I'll see if it is an issue at the JC college level soon.
Good points......just to add I feel that the girls games are the more difficult games to officiate since they don't create that "separation" and space that boys tend to.....Of all the games I've worked the really hard ones have always been on the girls side....that can't do any harm to you and your learning to become a better official.
Old Thu Feb 22, 2007, 11:55am
Official Forum Member

I think there is a big difference between working men's and women's. The level of play is vastly different. I agree that good officials adjust, but if you call that type of basketball all the time, you will be more ready for the type of basketball you will see. In addition, at the college level, the mechanics are different. Again, good officials adjust, but if you use those mechanics on a nightly basis, it just makes it a better game right from the get go. I think sooner or later, every official is better off working one side or the other at the college level.
Old Thu Feb 22, 2007, 11:56am
Do not give a damn!!

Whether you think it is true or not is not the issue. The point is there are people in positions that have that opinion and they make the decisions.

Peace
Old Thu Feb 22, 2007, 11:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big2Cat
JR is right. Out here you really need to make the choice. My assignor is a little different and he allows us to work men's and women's college. A lot of other assignors do not share the same feelings. If you are working women for someone else, you are a women's official and will not get men's games. That's just the way it is. That part doesn't bother me. The part that bothers me a little bit is the attitude from a lot of those guys that:

Men's Official = A+ ref
Women's Official = not good enough to do men
I don't like that either.....I've said as I've moved through the ranks that I'd never take that stance and I don't.....In college the women's officials might be the smartest ones of all...same pay and home three hours earlier....They always kid us that they'll be cracking the first cold one about the time we're tossing it up.....Hard to argue with that logic