The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 02, 2003, 01:04pm
Official Forum Member

It seems as though most discussion on this board is about adult SP or school age girls FP. So while it is quiet, I would like your thoughts about Men's FP.

FP is my game; I played it as a young man, I've coached both rec level and high school, and call NatFed. I didn't play SP, and don't believe that I would have any tolerance for the antics of adult SP players.

Now that I am retiring I would like more work in the summer and I am looking at JO FP and/or Men's FP. I was asked to help out last summer as a BU in a men's game. Initially I wasn't sure if I could keep up, but it wasn't too bad. It is definitely a faster game (than NatFed) but with practice I believe that I will be alright.

My questions: what are your experiences with adult men (or women) in FP leagues vs adult SP? Are adults in rec leagues jerks whatever the sport? Or are the FP players a little more serious and professional?

Second: what about equipment? I see a lot of umps wearing only a mask. (But they also hide more behind the catcher rather than working the slot.) Do you trust that 25 yr old catcher to protect you? (At the same time I never see catchers in full gear.)

Thanks for your thoughts.
Old Thu Jan 02, 2003, 02:25pm
Official Forum Member

Men's and women's FP were once very popular here in central New Jersey, but SP began attracting players in the early 1960s, and within 10 years FP (as well as semipro baseball) was dead. Some of the old FP players told me that the pitchers got so good that no one could hit them, and games with 17, 18, 19, 20 strikeouts per side didn't seem as much fun as the action-filled SP games being played on the other fields. So the young guys began opting for the then-better-balanced SP game.

I remember that in the early days of SP, the pitchers tried to throw as flat (fast) as they could within the rules. However, they soon learned that the high arc was harder to hit than a medium-speed fastball, and by the middle 1960s the game was pretty much what it is today, except that they used wooden bats and dead balls.

Apparently some men's FP survived in certain areas of the state, but I was never aware of its existence. Women's FP, as far as I know, has completely disappeared.

FP games were commonly 1-0, while in SP we regularly see 40 runs total per game. (Or 50 or 60—last year I tallied total runs in the evening triple headers, and we were routinely above 120, even with many mercy-shortened games). The game seems to be healthiest when 12 to 18 runs total is the norm. Maybe as SP gets ever more out of control with the live balls and juiced bats and ridiculous scores, FP will enjoy a revival.
Old Thu Jan 02, 2003, 03:29pm
Official Forum Member

Mens FP here in AZ was big in the 70s and early 80s. Almost every city of any size had a local league and there was a statewide league that played on the weekends as well. There were always large tournaments on each of the holiday weekends during the summer.

These days, slowpitch has taken over for much the same reasons that Greymule cited. I've also noticed that none of the younger kids are learning how to pitch.

I did work a month long Mens league last year here in Phoenix, four teams, doubleheaders once a week, pretty laid back. I know of three solid active teams around here with a few others scattered around the state. These guys all knew each other, were just out for some exercise and fun. Some moaning and griping on balls and strikes and close plays, but nowhere near the stuff that happens on a SP game.

Phoenix hosted the Mens 45 & over FP ASA national last September, these guys were more serious as could be expected at a national, but still fairly laid back.

I do wear the full gear no matter what level I'm working. I don't think I got hit with any more frequency in the Men's games I did, but it did sting more because the ball was coming in faster.

I'd sure like to see Men's FP make a comeback - it's a fun game to watch and call.
Old Thu Jan 02, 2003, 05:11pm
Official Forum Member

While we call mainly Womens FP, Mens FP is by far and away our favorite. In our area, there are not alot of teams left, but what is left is very competitive and fun to work.

The past 2 years, we have been able to call the Mens A and AA state along with Womens Open State. The mens game was alot more fun, competitive, had bigger crowds and excitement.

If ever given a choice, we would choose mens FP over Womens FP any time.
Old Thu Jan 02, 2003, 06:23pm
Official Forum Member

I've got to travel at least a hundred miles to work any men's ball, so I only get in a couple of weekends each season. But I would rather work men's fast pitch than girls if travel were not an issue.

Steve M
Old Thu Jan 02, 2003, 10:08pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

I have never seen a Men's fast-pitch game and dont know anywhere in this area (Dallas) that it is played BUT we do have a National tournament here in 2004 and I am hoping I will get selected to call

Don
Old Sat Jan 04, 2003, 06:15pm
Official Forum Member

I was just in Borders bookstore and saw a DVD of a movie called Fastpitch. Before I shell out $20, has anybody seen it?

see link
http://us.imdb.com/Title?0258568
Old Sat Jan 04, 2003, 06:32pm
Official Forum Member

I have the Fastpitch movie. It was put together by a guy who plays for FedLock - men's major team out of the DC area. It's about his first couple of years in ISC and getting to their world series. It was more about players and less about the fastpitch game than I would have preferred, but it was enjoyable.

Steve M
Old Sat Jan 04, 2003, 10:22pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

We have two old-timer games a year around here [East Texas].
They have lots of fun and don't argue alot. Some pretty good
pitching too. I have also done a tournament for the local
Indian Tribe. {Alabama-Coushatta Tribe} They have an annual
Pow-Wow and have about sixty teams from the different Nations.
That is some real fastpitch. Since I don't speak the language,
I don't know if they cusing or telling me I was doing a good
job. LOL

glen

Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Sun Jan 05, 2003, 12:18pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

hey Whiskers !!!
you reminded me of when I was working a local
"country" men's FP league in CNY-- there was a
team from the Onondaga Nation, I actually worked
the championship game held at their field---
I agree how funny it was not knowing if they
were saying-- "good call blue" or
"your missing a good game" !!
LOL
Old Sat Jan 11, 2003, 12:13pm
Official Forum Member

WestMichBlue,

What part of Michigan besides West are you from?

They play FP in parts of Michigan still. Eaton Rapids has a league during the week that has teams from Jackson, Homer and Lansing areas. Coldwater used to have a league and I played it that one. Teams were A and B and it was highly competitive. Kalamazoo has an invitational every year with A and Open teams. We went as B team and finished in top % one year. Benton Harbor has Plangers, a Open team but I do not know where they play. Indiana has strong pockets of ball.

I'll take the men's over the women's.

I knew some of the guys that won the national 45 and over tourney in Arizona. The pitcher often pitches against the younger guys in some tournaments. And he doesn't cheat when he pitches. No crow hop or leap.

Old Sat Jan 11, 2003, 12:19pm
Official Forum Member

Whiskers,

Are you doing games for the Legends league when they go to Beaumont? The pitcher (he's about 6'6") for the Beaumont team has a tremendous drop.

There are some good players in pitchers on the various teams. They generally do not complain except for the shortstop from one of the teams. Can't remember his name but he was on the best team.

Old Sat Jan 11, 2003, 08:12pm
Official Forum Member

Ronald

What part of Michigan besides West are you from?
Halfway between Grand Rapids and Kalamazoo. (e-mail me at [email protected])
Moline Softball Assoc has it's heart and heritage in FP. Have a couple men's leagues and girls high school summer league. Adult ladie's FP league up the road a bit in Byron Center. Surprisingly, a lot of young pitchers (20 something), indicates that the baton is being passed on.

And he doesn't cheat when he pitches. No crow hop or leap.
I thought that "leap" was legal for men. At least it used to be.
WMB
Old Sun Jan 12, 2003, 12:16am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Elaine Send a message via Yahoo to Elaine
Red face

No fast pitch for men in Georgia, but we do have Men's Modified. I'm not sure how many teams are still playing now since I haven't called it in a few years (another umpire association has exclusive contract). But, at one time Georgia fielded several teams in the National Men's A. I used to travel around Ga. and Tenn. calling Modified Tournaments, and had a lot of fun. Those guys don't whine nearly as much as the SP guys! I had fun because only 2 other females besides me were brave enough to call Modified, and we had 3 ISF umpires that worked with us all of the time. Believe me, I picked up a lot of good moves on my plate work from the ISF guys. I credit them with all the excellent ratings I achieved at JO FP Nationals on the Plate.
I wish there were Men's and Women's FP here so I could have an opportunity to umpire.

Georgia High School NFHS (retired)
Mom of former Travel Player
National Indicator Fraternity 1995
Old Sun Jan 12, 2003, 12:43am
Official Forum Member

The last men's fast pitch I've seen in So Cal was in the mid-60s, early-70s when I ran a league in the Santa Clarita Valley for LA County Parks & Rec.

Bob