The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 16, 2006, 11:31am
Official Forum Member

Men's vs. Women's

I was working JUCO jamoborees over the weekend for the second year. I don't have to make this decision now, but it got me thinking about which side I want to work. I'm about 50/50 on which to do. I like the athleticism of the men, the challenge of the games, and the percieved prestige of working college men. The drawbacks I see so far are the physical play at the JUCO level (constantly watching for cheap shots and such), advancement may be more difficult (I'm about 5'11", a short guy around college officials) and it seems that there's a little more competition rather than commraderie on the men's side. As for women, the advantages are that the games seem a little more laid back, the play is less physical and closer to what I see now in HS, more of a fellowship of officials (or so it seems from what I've seen so far) and I think I could advance a little more quickly and to a higher level on the women's side. Drawbacks are that I don't want to get on in my career and wonder if I could have made it with the men and the athleticism is much better for the men. My questions for you that I want to discuss are as follows;
Do you agree with my statements of advantages and disadvantages?
Are there any other factors I should consider?
This isn't a decision I have to make in a hurry, but I've been thinking about it all weekend. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
Old Mon Oct 16, 2006, 11:46am
Official Forum Member

Cool

Junker, I would just say go with your heart. I will be working a couple of collegiate jamborees this weekend. However, I have made my decision I prefer Women.
Old Mon Oct 16, 2006, 11:51am
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

I agree with your advantages and disadvantages.
If I were to choose, I would choose being on the floor with the men, even if it meant fewer games.

The camaraderie of the officials will be what you make it.
Old Mon Oct 16, 2006, 12:00pm
Do not give a damn!!

I went thought a similar decision. About 4 years ago I was working both Men's and Women's college ball. I decided to go with Men's college for one simple reason. I enjoyed it more. I do not watch Women's basketball in my private time and I attend the Big Ten Men's Tournament every year for the last 5 or 6 years because I am a big fan. So for me the decision was easy. I also do not work for the money. I would rather work what I like to do rather than go 3 hours away from my house for something I do not enjoy. Know these were my reasons; your reasons might be different. No one can tell you what you want to do. I also think the competition is harder at the Men's level and feel that I have more time to get to that level. This is completely a personal decision.

Peace
Old Mon Oct 16, 2006, 12:18pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the thoughts. I agree that it's a personal decision, but over the years I've been around the board I've developed (lord help me) respect for your opinions. I'm just kind of compiling ideas right now and someday I'll have to make a decision. Thanks.
Old Mon Oct 16, 2006, 12:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junker
Thanks for the thoughts. I agree that it's a personal decision, but over the years I've been around the board I've developed (lord help me) respect for your opinions. I'm just kind of compiling ideas right now and someday I'll have to make a decision. Thanks.
Junker,

Keep in mind if you choose women's ball it doesn't mean you are any less of an official than if you would have picked men's ball.
Old Mon Oct 16, 2006, 12:38pm
In Memoriam

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodwillRef
Junker,

Keep in mind if you choose women's ball it doesn't mean you are any less of an official than if you would have picked men's ball.
Ouch !
That thought could leave a mark.
Old Mon Oct 16, 2006, 12:40pm
Do not give a damn!!

My point Junker is you are the person that is going to have to live with your decision. If you do it for reasons that are not your own, you will be the one that will have to live with that decision even if it is not working out. It sounds like you are being pulled in a direction based on the words in your OP. This is why you have to make this decision with your pros and cons and not the ones you read here.

Peace
Old Mon Oct 16, 2006, 12:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I was working JUCO jamoborees over the weekend for the second year. I don't have to make this decision now, but it got me thinking about which side I want to work. I'm about 50/50 on which to do. I like the athleticism of the men, the challenge of the games, and the percieved prestige of working college men. The drawbacks I see so far are the physical play at the JUCO level (constantly watching for cheap shots and such), advancement may be more difficult (I'm about 5'11", a short guy around college officials) and it seems that there's a little more competition rather than commraderie on the men's side. As for women, the advantages are that the games seem a little more laid back, the play is less physical and closer to what I see now in HS, more of a fellowship of officials (or so it seems from what I've seen so far) and I think I could advance a little more quickly and to a higher level on the women's side. Drawbacks are that I don't want to get on in my career and wonder if I could have made it with the men and the athleticism is much better for the men. My questions for you that I want to discuss are as follows;
Do you agree with my statements of advantages and disadvantages?
Are there any other factors I should consider?
This isn't a decision I have to make in a hurry, but I've been thinking about it all weekend. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
I cannot post what I really think on here, but if you would like my private opinion, email me at [email protected]. I work womens BB and will give you a very honest (and true) forcast of your chances!
Old Tue Oct 17, 2006, 08:38am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Ok, first of all. . .

Quote:
I'm about 5'11", a short guy around college officials
Shut up.

Now that we've gotten that out of the way. . .

Quote:
it seems that there's a little more competition rather than commraderie on the men's side. As for women, the advantages are that the games seem a little more laid back, the play is less physical and closer to what I see now in HS, more of a fellowship of officials (or so it seems from what I've seen so far) and I think I could advance a little more quickly and to a higher level on the women's side. Drawbacks are that I don't want to get on in my career and wonder if I could have made it with the men and the athleticism is much better for the men.
I agree with your ads and disads, although I will say that I agree with Mick about the comraderie. It will be what you make of it. There is a great deal of competition on the men's side and many guys stay on longer than they should just b/c they can't give it up. (And my guess is that both of those things are true on the women's side, too.)

But I have made GREAT friends at camps, even though I am, in a sense, competing with them for a future roster spot. Dan_ref and I had dinner together just last night, which was great b/c I hadn't seen him in over a year. I'm gonna spend a night in a hotel room with 4 other guys on a road trip next week. There are good relationships and comraderie out there.

Whether deserved or not, there is a prestige involved in working Men's ball. To some people, that is probably very important. If it's not that important to you, then my guess is that you'll have more chance to move up quickly on the Women's side. (Of course, you'll have to learn the crappy mechanics that they use. )

The only drawback to Women's ball that you don't mention is that (IMHO) the quality of play at the D3 level is substantially lower than the level of play on the Men's side. As you move up, I'm sure the level of play is much better and maybe even closer to the level of play on the Men's side. But when you're first starting out, you are going to watch some pretty bad basketball.

One of the advantages to Women's ball that you don't mention is that the Women's game (at the D2/D3 level) is often played immediately before the Men's game. So you finish the game and get home before we've finished the first half of our game. I'm not being flippant, either. I've had Women's officials tell me that they love being home early and not having to drive home at 11 pm. If you have a family or are going to be starting one, that might be a consideration for you.

I'm a Men's official b/c I didn't know there was a choice. The president of my HS association handed me an application and told me to fill it out. So I did. It was for a men's collegiate association. I didn't even know there were other options. But whatever you choose, it's got to be b/c it's what you want. If you don't have a passion for it, you won't last. Good luck.
Old Tue Oct 17, 2006, 08:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodWillRef
Ouch !
That thought could leave a mark.
I don't think it was meant in a derogatory fashion, Mick. I think he's saying that officiating Women's basketball is just as important and just as much of an accomplishment as working Men's ball; even if some Men's officials might not agree with that.
Old Tue Oct 17, 2006, 08:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevzebra
I cannot post what I really think on here
How come, Kev? I'd like to hear your thoughts, but I don't want you to get in trouble, obviously. PM me? Or email me through the site? Thanks.
Old Tue Oct 17, 2006, 08:47am
Official Forum Member

All right Chuck, I've been around the board for 3 years and I have to know....how tall are you? Really? Thanks for the opinions. I appreciate it.
Old Tue Oct 17, 2006, 08:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I have to know....how tall are you? Really?
In my bare feet? Or in my dreams?
Old Tue Oct 17, 2006, 08:57am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckElias
...I'm gonna spend a night in a hotel room with 4 other guys on a road trip next week. There are good relationships and comraderie out there.
I hope none of these folks is that Greek guy who was hitting on Jurrassic in another thread