The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 21, 2007, 12:40pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to drinkeii
AP Arrow

Probably a simple question, but I'm having trouble finding the result.

Team A gets possession on a jump ball situation. They take the ball out of bounds, and while the player out of bounds has the ball, and while the official is counting their 5 seconds, B2 fouls A2 on the floor. We are not in the bonus. A1 gets the ball back out of bounds.

Question: Does the arrow change upon the final pass inbounds, or since the new inbounds pass is a result of a foul and not the AP arrow, do they keep the arrow?

Would this change if it resulted in foul shots? (I assume it would not change if there were foul shots, because there was no resulting in bounds pass).
Old Wed Feb 21, 2007, 12:54pm
Official Forum Member

The subsequent throw-in after the foul is not an AP throw-in. The AP throw-in never completed because of the foul by B2 - therefore the AP arrow does not change. 6-5-5
Old Wed Feb 21, 2007, 01:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkeii
Probably a simple question, but I'm having trouble finding the result.
The AP arrow is changed when the AP throw-in ends or the inbounding team violates. Since neither of these happened in your play, the arrow doesn't change.
Old Wed Feb 21, 2007, 01:37pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to drinkeii
That's what I thought! Thanks!
Old Wed Feb 21, 2007, 02:11pm
Official Forum Member

From the Case Book

6.4.5 Situation A: Team A is awarded the ball for a throw-in under the alternating procedure. A1 commits a violation.
Ruling: B’s ball for a throw-in because of the violation. In addition, the possession arrow is reversed and is pointed towards B’s basket. Team B will have the next throw-in opportunity under the alternating procedure. Team A has lost its opportunity by virtue of the violation. A violation by Team A during an alternating-possession throw-in is the only way a team loses its turn under the procedure.

Comment: If a foul by either team occurs before an alternating-possession throw-in ends, the foul is penalized as required and play continues as it normally would, but the possession arrow is not reversed. The same team will still have the arrow for the next alternating-possession throw-in. The arrow is reversed when an alternating-possession throw-in ends. (6-4-4)
Old Wed Feb 21, 2007, 02:16pm
Official Forum Member

Great example of why it's important to have a properly-instructed table crew. A lot of times because I work in church leagues the folks operating the AP arrow don't know the rules and they switch it when the ball gets handed to the player doing the throw in, or they switch it just after you blow the whistle and make the call for a held ball. It gets frustrating.
Old Wed Feb 21, 2007, 02:31pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC_Ref12
Great example of why it's important to have a properly-instructed table crew. A lot of times because I work in church leagues the folks operating the AP arrow don't know the rules and they switch it when the ball gets handed to the player doing the throw in...
Okay, I can't help it and know I'm vastly out numbered here, but I think this is how the rule should read.
Old Wed Feb 21, 2007, 03:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
Quote:
Great example of why it's important to have a properly-instructed table crew. A lot of times because I work in church leagues the folks operating the AP arrow don't know the rules and they switch it when the ball gets handed to the player doing the throw in...

Okay, I can't help it and know I'm vastly out numbered here, but I think this is how the rule should read.
and if A2 gets fouled by B2 they lose the arrow?

Can't agree with that.
Old Wed Feb 21, 2007, 04:06pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref in PA
and if A2 gets fouled by B2 they lose the arrow?

Can't agree with that.
I didn't expect you to; no one else does. It's my opinion that the team is entitled to a throwin, not possession. Once the thrower has been given the ball for the throwin, the arrow's job is done. Anything that happens during that throwin is a direct result of the arrow.
Let me put it another way. In your scenario; the foul to against A2 happened because A1 was trying to inbound the ball. If the arrow hadn't given the ball to A, then B2 wouldn't have fouled. The arrow did its job.
Again, I realize I'm outnumbered here.
Old Wed Feb 21, 2007, 04:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I didn't expect you to; no one else does. It's my opinion that the team is entitled to a throwin, not possession. Once the thrower has been given the ball for the throwin, the arrow's job is done. Anything that happens during that throwin is a direct result of the arrow.
Let me put it another way. In your scenario; the foul to against A2 happened because A1 was trying to inbound the ball. If the arrow hadn't given the ball to A, then B2 wouldn't have fouled. The arrow did its job.
Huh? I don't get it.
Old Wed Feb 21, 2007, 05:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
An idiom here in Italy is "se mio nonno avesse le ruote sarebbe un tram" (if my grandpa had wheels, he would be a streetcar). Don't build up hypotheses: players play and sometimes foul. A throw in is just a play situation.

The arrow entitles the team to a throw in: they have the right to make it. When does a throw in end? There are very good reasons to say that it ends when another player touches the ball or the team violates. A foul is a very different thing.

Nobody is saying that the team has a right to possession: if the other team steals the throw in pass, the arrow gets reversed.
Old Wed Feb 21, 2007, 07:14pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

And if a frog had wings.... I know. The difference is that I'm not creating unlikely hypotheticals. Good grief.
I already said I expected disagreement. That's fine. This is just how I see it.

It seems arbitrary to me to reverse the arrow on an offensive violation but not on an offensive foul. To me, the arrow gives the thrower the ball; after that all bets should be off because the arrow did its job. You can't say your punishing the team that got fouled during the throwin because they're still getting the ball that the arrow provided.

This should go without saying, but I'm not out there enforcing it the way I think it should be; I'm enforcing it the way it is.

BTW, had a scorer in a middle school game not change the arrow because the pass was stolen. We corrected him.
Old Wed Feb 21, 2007, 09:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It's my opinion that the team is entitled to a throwin, not possession.
Then why is it called alternating POSSESSION?

Evenso, if the foul occurs, then they don;t get their throw-in, do they?

Changing the rule for the sake of making it easier isn't a reason.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Feb 21, 2007, 10:45pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

Quote:
Great example of why it's important to have a properly-instructed table crew. A lot of times because I work in church leagues the folks operating the AP arrow don't know the rules and they switch it when the ball gets handed to the player doing the throw in, or they switch it just after you blow the whistle and make the call for a held ball. It gets frustrating.
And unfortunately, in my area, officials seem unaware of NFHS rule 6-5-5, as 80% of the time, the arrow gets flipped after such a situation and it's not corrected

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball

Last edited by Stat-Man; Wed Feb 21, 2007 at 10:48pm.
Old Wed Feb 21, 2007, 11:12pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef
Then why is it called alternating POSSESSION?

Evenso, if the foul occurs, then they don;t get their throw-in, do they?

Changing the rule for the sake of making it easier isn't a reason.
They had their throwin; it resulted in a foul.
You're right, it's not a reason. It's not my reason either.
But, I'm tilting at windmills.