The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 28, 2003, 11:56pm
Official Forum Member

Question

9th grade boys rec league tournament tonight. My first time working this level of ball. Went pretty well, except for the start of the 4th Q in the first game. Here's the sitch:

Older gym, older equipment, no possession arrow displayed anywhere. There were enough jump balls early in the 3rd quarter that I had lost track of the arrow (I had been keeping track using the non-pocket-pool method ).

Book tells us that it's white's ball to start the 4th. We give white the throw in. They take a shot and miss. Black rebounds and for some unfathomable reason scores right there at WHITE'S basket. Suddenly everybody is uncertain about which direction to go. Just then the horn sounds and the scorer runs onto the floor to tell us that it should have been black's ball to start the quarter. Ugh!

Partner and I confer and decide that: it's too late to change the throw in, the basket counts for white, and it's black's ball OOB--going the proper direction. Pretty sure we got that part right.

Question is, who gets the AP arrow? We gave the next jump ball to black, but neither of us was sure if that was right.

On a more humorous note, in the second game had a bang-bang OOB. Sold it well: "Off white, black ball", pointed at the player who touched it last, gave it an emphatic foul-tip signal, pointed smartly in black's direction...the whole nine yards. Player for black who had been whining off and on all game starts up again. Just as I was about to tell him to put a cork in it, his own teammate tells him, "Hey, shut up. He's giving US the ball!" My sentiments exactly Of course, he was still muttering as he headed down the floor.
Old Sat Mar 01, 2003, 12:09am
Official Forum Member

Black will get the next jump ball. This is not a correctable error.
Old Sat Mar 01, 2003, 12:15am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally posted by Back In The Saddle
9th grade boys rec league tournament tonight. My first time working this level of ball. Went pretty well, except for the start of the 4th Q in the first game. Here's the sitch:

Older gym, older equipment, no possession arrow displayed anywhere. There were enough jump balls early in the 3rd quarter that I had lost track of the arrow (I had been keeping track using the non-pocket-pool method ).

Book tells us that it's white's ball to start the 4th. We give white the throw in. They take a shot and miss. Black rebounds and for some unfathomable reason scores right there at WHITE'S basket. Suddenly everybody is uncertain about which direction to go. Just then the horn sounds and the scorer runs onto the floor to tell us that it should have been black's ball to start the quarter. Ugh!

Partner and I confer and decide that: it's too late to change the throw in, the basket counts for white, and it's black's ball OOB--going the proper direction. Pretty sure we got that part right.

Question is, who gets the AP arrow? We gave the next jump ball to black, but neither of us was sure if that was right.

I believe that this is covered by case book 6.3.1 Sounds to me like you handled it just right.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sat Mar 01, 2003, 01:09am
Official Forum Member

If you give the ball to the wrong team on an AP throw-in, the opponent gets the arrow. You can't change what you screwed up but you can correct the arrow now. Never give the ball to the same team 3 times in a row.
Old Sat Mar 01, 2003, 10:16am
Livin' The Dream

[QUOTE]Originally posted by just another ref
Quote:

Just wondering if you could have done SOMETHING to prevent this like making your own arrow. Years ago in a small gym the bench used a tennis shoe as as arrow and the toe pointed in the direction the ball was going. It worked for us!!!!
Old Sat Mar 01, 2003, 10:42am
Official Forum Member

In my rec ball league

[QUOTE]Originally posted by tw1ns
Quote:
Originally posted by just another ref
Quote:

Just wondering if you could have done SOMETHING to prevent this like making your own arrow. Years ago in a small gym the bench used a tennis shoe as as arrow and the toe pointed in the direction the ball was going. It worked for us!!!!
We rarely have arrows due to the poor facilities. My refs wear a rubber band on their wrist. Right wrist is home team, left is visitors. They swich rubber band accordingly with each AP.
omq
Old Sat Mar 01, 2003, 12:58pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

Hmmm, I also read a post here recently about a guy who carried a stuffed Toucan doll in his bag to use as the AP arrow. Some creative solutions. Thank you for your input. I think I'll at least start carrying a rubber band.
Old Sat Mar 01, 2003, 02:32pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Cool

Quote:
Originally posted by tw1ns
Just wondering if you could have done SOMETHING to prevent this like making your own arrow. Years ago in a small gym the bench used a tennis shoe as as arrow and the toe pointed in the direction the ball was going.
Just take a banana away from one of the howler monkeys, peel it back a few inches and use it.
Old Sat Mar 01, 2003, 02:39pm
In Memoriam

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
[/B]
Just take a banana away from one of the howler monkeys, peel it back a few inches and use it. [/B][/QUOTE]Great idea! But what are you gonna use for an arrow?