The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 13, 2007, 05:46pm
Official Forum Member

Dunk or Illegal Dribble

A1 comes dribbling down the court, wide open on a fast break. A1 throws the ball off the backboard (obviously not an attempt at a shot), catches it in the air, and dunks the ball.

Partner (a veteran official) makes no call. After the game, I ask him about the play, and he says it's perfectly legal. I ask about the possibility of an illegal dribble call, and he says since it's at their basket, it's okay.

Is this correct, and if so, NFHS rules citations or case plays would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by NewNCref; Tue Feb 13, 2007 at 06:07pm.
Old Tue Feb 13, 2007, 06:14pm
Official Forum Member

Did he throw it off the backboard with 1 hand or 2?
Old Tue Feb 13, 2007, 06:17pm
Official Forum Member

He used 2 hands.

If there's a difference between 1 hand or 2 hands, I'd appreciate it if you could explain the difference.
Old Tue Feb 13, 2007, 06:25pm
Official Forum Member

I think he was being sarcastic -- have you NEVER seen this done before?

if the answer is NO -- then please proceed to hang up your whistle --

if the answer is YES -- then think real hard if you can remember EVER seeing an official come in with a whistle on this and calling an ILLEGAL dribble.

You're partner's reasoning is incorrect however his nocall is correct.
Old Tue Feb 13, 2007, 06:34pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee

Why is his partner's reasoning incorrect?
Old Tue Feb 13, 2007, 06:40pm
Official Forum Member

i dont see whether its their basket or not should matter. its an illegal dribble if the ball comes to rest in their palm so what does the basket matter?
Old Tue Feb 13, 2007, 07:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I think he was being sarcastic -- have you NEVER seen this done before?

if the answer is NO -- then please proceed to hang up your whistle --

if the answer is YES -- then think real hard if you can remember EVER seeing an official come in with a whistle on this and calling an ILLEGAL dribble.

I have seen this done before, but have never thought about it from an officiating standpoint. While I appreciate your help, the smart comments could have been withheld.

I am trying my best to become a better official, and that's why I ask questions, but it's when people give smart responses that are demeaning, as if to say "if you don't already know all the answers, hang it up," that I get slightly discouraged.

But, back to the original question, what about Rule 4-15-2? Does that not apply here? Just curious.
Old Tue Feb 13, 2007, 07:33pm
Official Forum Member

it would be an illegal dribble if he just threw it against the backboard and recovered and landed on his feet. i do not have my rulebook here but someone will come along and let us know what that rule is.

sorry for the smart azz comment i have just been in a saracastic mood all day. but dont hang it up because of that comment think of this as thick skin training. If you can take e-punishment you will do fine when you take coach punishment.
Old Tue Feb 13, 2007, 07:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
it would be an illegal dribble if he just threw it against the backboard and recovered and landed on his feet. i do not have my rulebook here but someone will come along and let us know what that rule is.

sorry for the smart azz comment i have just been in a saracastic mood all day. but dont hang it up because of that comment think of this as thick skin training. If you can take e-punishment you will do fine when you take coach punishment.
thanks decee, and don't worry about it. i can use the thick skin training. not to mention, from what i've seen on here, you know your stuff, so i know i'm getting advice from one of the best.
Old Tue Feb 13, 2007, 08:50pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
i dont see whether its their basket or not should matter. its an illegal dribble if the ball comes to rest in their palm so what does the basket matter?
Whatinthehell are you talking about?

It's not an illegal dribble if the ball comes to rest in their palm. It has NEVER been an illegal dribble if the ball comes to rest in their palm. It also NEVER will be an illegal dribble when the ball comes to rest in their palm.

The dribble ENDS when the ball comes to rest in their palm. Rule 4-15-4. It is NOT a violation to end a dribble, deecee. After the dribble ends, they can't dribble a second time. That is a violation.

Methinks you should save your sarcasm until you actually learn some rules that you can be sarcastic with.
Old Tue Feb 13, 2007, 08:53pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
If he threw it up against his own backboard and recovered it, it would be an illegal dribble?

When you find your rulebook, please cite a rule that will back that statement up.
Old Tue Feb 13, 2007, 10:35pm
Official Forum Member

dribble, dribble, dribble -- throws the ball against his backboard (not a shot attempt) -- jumps up, secures the ball, lands -- what do you got -- i got me a travel.

but I am sorry due to semantics I was incorrect -- I will bow out and say yes I was wrong -- and I should know better than to spell everything out -- once the ball comes to rest -- yadda yadda yadda -- then he dribbles again -- violation. sorry for the oversight
Old Tue Feb 13, 2007, 11:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
dribble, dribble, dribble -- throws the ball against his backboard (not a shot attempt) -- jumps up, secures the ball, lands -- what do you got -- i got me a travel.

but I am sorry due to semantics I was incorrect -- I will bow out and say yes I was wrong -- and I should know better than to spell everything out -- once the ball comes to rest -- yadda yadda yadda -- then he dribbles again -- violation. sorry for the oversight
It's not traveling.

It's not a double drible or an illegal dribble.

To my fellow NC official, NewNCRef, the play is perfectly legal. Throwing the ball off the opponent's backboard constitutes a dribble. Throwing the ball off your own backboard is perfectly legal, not matter the reason for throwing it. It is not a dribble, legal or illegal. It's not traveling as you can't travel unless you're HOLDING the ball.*

deecee is widely known for the misinformation he spreads. Ignore him. If I can help you farther, you can PM me. I'd be glad to hear from you.

*There's one exception that has nothing to do with this play.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Feb 14, 2007, 03:11am
In Memoriam

Quote:

Naw, due to the fact that you generally don't have a clue when it comes to the actual rules, you were incorrect. Give credit where credit is due.
Old Wed Feb 14, 2007, 03:17am
Official Forum Member

Finally, someone besides me is bashing on deecee.
He doesn't know the rules. He is just a young, brash official who thinks too much of himself.

Listen to JR and BktBallRef. They really know this stuff.