The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 14, 2007, 09:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee
I think he was being sarcastic -- have you NEVER seen this done before?

if the answer is NO -- then please proceed to hang up your whistle --
Confusing grammar aside, I've never seen it done before, but I do know the rule and I'll keep my whistle, thanks.
Old Wed Feb 14, 2007, 09:31am
Official Forum Member

it makes a huge difference

Quote:
i dont see whether its their basket or not should matter. its an illegal dribble if the ball comes to rest in their palm so what does the basket matter?
We have had this particular discussion concerning which board several times on here...have you not read these discussions?

If the answer is no, do a search, if the answer is yes and you still don't see the distinct difference hang up your whistle
Old Wed Feb 14, 2007, 09:53am
Official Forum Member

OK, I’m going to go out on a limb here. But, isn’t “throwing” the ball at your own backboard considered a try? In which case, team control is lost and then when the player catches the ball, he/she is considered to be rebounding the ball.
However, bouncing the ball off the opponent’s basket is considered a dribble. Correct??
Old Wed Feb 14, 2007, 10:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinski
OK, I’m going to go out on a limb here. But, isn’t “throwing” the ball at your own backboard considered a try? In which case, team control is lost and then when the player catches the ball, he/she is considered to be rebounding the ball.
However, bouncing the ball off the opponent’s basket is considered a dribble. Correct??
Sweet and to the point.
Many years ago the McDonalds High School All-Star game was player in St. Louis. and this play of throwing the ball off the backboard, catching and dunking was a play in the game. No violation then... no violation now.
Old Wed Feb 14, 2007, 10:52am
Official Forum Member

okay dribble dribble backboarddribble catch land with both feet. Jump stop right?
Old Wed Feb 14, 2007, 10:56am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinski
Yes.
Old Wed Feb 14, 2007, 11:28am
Official Forum Member

so then whats the distinction between a pass hitting the rim and no reset of the shot clock? but as far as rules go yes I am not the most knowledgeable and if i am wrong here which it seems then so be it -- good job JR.
Old Wed Feb 14, 2007, 12:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
so then whats the distinction between a pass hitting the rim and no reset of the shot clock?
As far as I can tell, there's a distinction only because there is.
Old Wed Feb 14, 2007, 12:49pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
so then whats the distinction between a pass hitting the rim and no reset of the shot clock?
This distinction happens in other aspects as well. When a player shoots an airball, he may retrieve the rebound. Yet, it does not reset the shot clock. Same distinction, same principal, same rules.
Old Wed Feb 14, 2007, 12:57pm
Official Forum Member

ok but thats a shot and he can get the airball -- how about in a non shot situation where the ball hits the backboard, rim or nothing? legal?
Old Wed Feb 14, 2007, 01:03pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Generally, if it hits the rim or backboard, it's considered a shot even if it didn't look purposeful. If you think he's trying for a shot, then it's a shot. Only one requirement must be met, not both.
Old Wed Feb 14, 2007, 01:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
Generally, if it hits the rim or backboard, it's considered a shot even if it didn't look purposeful. If you think he's trying for a shot, then it's a shot. Only one requirement must be met, not both.
But on a freethrow it has to hit the rim to be considered a shot? Otherwise it is a violation? This rim restriction only applies to a freethrow then? (I am really asking. Not trying to be smart.)
Old Wed Feb 14, 2007, 01:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCRef
But on a freethrow it has to hit the rim to be considered a shot? Otherwise it is a violation? This rim restriction only applies to a freethrow then? (I am really asking. Not trying to be smart.)
It's a shot whether it hits the rim or not. If it does not hit the rim, the thrower has committed a free throw violation as the rules requires him to throw it so that it hits the rim.
Old Wed Feb 14, 2007, 01:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
ok so when you KNOW it wasnt a shot attempt and it hits the rim or backboard what do you have? or can a trapped player just launch the ball at the backboard or rim to get around the defense and get the ball unabated? just a question?
Old Wed Feb 14, 2007, 02:19pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
ok so when you KNOW it wasnt a shot attempt and it hits the rim or backboard what do you have? or can a trapped player just launch the ball at the backboard or rim to get around the defense and get the ball unabated? just a question?
It is always a judgment call. And unless you are a mind reader, and personally I'm sureasheck not, you can never be 100% sure that anything thrown off the glass wasn't meant to be a try. It's impossible to KNOW that it's not a shot attempt.

Iow, any doubt, rule it a "try".