The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Feb 10, 2007, 04:31pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks ... I had always been told and under the understanding that once the ball hit glass it can't be touched. I can't recall ever calling this wrong - so, I now will never make this mistake!
Old Sat Feb 10, 2007, 09:09pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
I took all of the other criteria as given. In the context of his question, I was not dealing with a ball that strikes the backboard, but is below the level or the ring, or has no chance to enter the basket, or is in the cylinder.

Of course, to answer the general case, you are correct to point out that all of those other factors need to be considered.
No, they don't. If the try is on its upward flight, then it's not goaltending, period. You don't need to consider anything else. Because in order for it to be goaltending, it MUST be on it's downward flight. Therefore, if it's going up, then it's not goaltending. It might be 100 other things, but it's not GT. Nevadaref's answer was absolutely correct as stated. As long as the try is going up, it's not goaltending to touch it.
Old Sun Feb 11, 2007, 11:41am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
No, they don't. If the try is on its upward flight, then it's not goaltending, period. You don't need to consider anything else. Because in order for it to be goaltending, it MUST be on it's downward flight. Therefore, if it's going up, then it's not goaltending. It might be 100 other things, but it's not GT. Nevadaref's answer was absolutely correct as stated. As long as the try is going up, it's not goaltending to touch it.
No. The question was can the ball be blocked off the glass legally. It was such a good question Johnny Ringo asked it twice. Nevada's answer directly addressed Johnny Ringo and he said "The answer is yes, it can be touched and NOT be goaltending as long as the ball is still on its way up."

In a vacuum Nevada's answer is correct. In regard to how the backboard comes into play in this rule he is wrong. The backboard has nothing to do with GT, whether the ball is going up, down or levitating in mid air.
Old Sun Feb 11, 2007, 12:27pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
In a vacuum Nevada's answer is correct.
In a vacuum or out of it. If the ball is going up, no goaltending, regardless of anything else (with the one exception of goaltending a free throw). The backboard is irrelevent, as you point out, but that doesn't make Nevada's statement "so incomplete as to be just plain wrong". It's entirely correct. It just doesn't address the further misunderstanding about the backboard.

I understand your point, but I don't want some newbie to come along and see the following exchange:

OP: Is it goaltending to block the shot off the backboard if it's still on the way up.
Nevada: It's never goaltending to hit the try on the way up.
Dan: That's incomplete and incorrect.

Yikes! That gives a very bad impression of the actual rule. I know what you were getting at and you're right that Nevadaref's answer doesn't address the point that the backboard has nothing to do with goaltending or basket interference. But it is equally true that it's never goaltending to touch the try on its upward flight (unless it's a free throw).
Old Sun Feb 11, 2007, 01:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
On page 66 of last year's Simplified & Illustrated there is a picture of a try hitting the backboard above the level of the ring and continuing on its upward flight. The shot is now blocked by a defender while it is still outside of the cylinder. (I wish I could post the picture, but I don't know how. Perhaps someone else can.)
I'm going to attempt to attach the picture that you are talking about.

I couldn't get the attachment to upload even though it was below the file size requirement?!

Last edited by All_Heart; Sun Feb 11, 2007 at 01:29pm.
Old Sun Feb 11, 2007, 03:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
In a vacuum or out of it. If the ball is going up, no goaltending, regardless of anything else (with the one exception of goaltending a free throw). The backboard is irrelevent, as you point out, but that doesn't make Nevada's statement "so incomplete as to be just plain wrong". It's entirely correct. It just doesn't address the further misunderstanding about the backboard.
Right.

In other words it's so incomplete as to be just wrong.

Glad we agree.
Old Sun Feb 11, 2007, 05:24pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
In other words it's so incomplete as to be just wrong
You can keep typing it. It doesn't make it any more true.
Old Sun Feb 11, 2007, 09:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You can keep typing it. It doesn't make it any more true.
You can keep tilting at that windmill, but Nevada and I both think you're wrong, scappie-doo.

In fact, here's what he said. Feel free to continue the argument with him, 'cause I'm done.

Quote:
Of course, to answer the general case, you are correct to point out that all of those other factors need to be considered.
Old Mon Feb 12, 2007, 02:00am
Official Forum Member

Sometimes the message can get lost in the semantics.

Whether I was right in the first place or not doesn't really matter to me. I believe that we have helped Johnny R to have a much better understanding of this aspect of officiating and that is what we strive to do here and what is important to me.
Old Mon Feb 12, 2007, 08:46am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
You can keep tilting at that windmill, but Nevada and I both think you're wrong, scappie-doo.

In fact, here's what he said. Feel free to continue the argument with him, 'cause I'm done.
Quote:
He only said that to be polite because he's afraid of getting on your bad side. But I know you're a big pussycat.
Old Mon Feb 12, 2007, 09:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
He only said that to be polite because he's afraid of getting on your bad side. But I know you're a big pussycat.
Old Mon Feb 12, 2007, 09:22am
In Memoriam

Quote:
But I know you're a big pussy.
Agree.
Old Mon Feb 12, 2007, 09:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Agree.
Old Mon Feb 12, 2007, 10:47am
Lighten up, Francis.

Can I at least have a cookie to go with the juice?