The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 20, 2005, 10:20am
Official Forum Member

Please help me understand a goaltending question:

If A1, inadvertently shoots at his own basket ( the one he is defending) and B1 goaltends the shot, then no points are scored and team B gets the ball OOB. This is according to NFHS rule 9, section 12, penalty 2.

Is this correct? Thank you for your answers.
Old Thu Oct 20, 2005, 10:35am
Official Forum Member

No this is not goaltending. You would not blow your whistle and play would resume.

If the ball was above the cylinder then it would be basket interference (Offensive BI - No points awarded).
Old Thu Oct 20, 2005, 10:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by flaref0812
Please help me understand a goaltending question:

If A1, inadvertently shoots at his own basket ( the one he is defending) and B1 goaltends the shot, then no points are scored and team B gets the ball OOB. This is according to NFHS rule 9, section 12, penalty 2.

Is this correct? Thank you for your answers.
cford is correct. There is no goaltending, because by definition, goaltending involves touching a try or tap, and there cannot be a try at the other team's basket. Also, FWIW, a team's own basket is the one they are trying to put the ball in (another definition), so when you're describing this kind of play it makes it a little easier to understand. I'm not trying to pick on you, just trying to give you a heads up in case some of the other, more curmudgeonly members give you a hard time.

(Used with permission.)
Old Thu Oct 20, 2005, 11:00am
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb Are you sure about that?

Not so fast. There is not such definition that says GT can only happen on an opponent's shot while defending your own basket. Rule 9-12 Penalty 4 even suggest you could have a double GT call. Rule 9-12 says, "A player shall not commit goaltending."

Also Casebook 9.12 Situation B gives and example of where team A can goal tend.

Peace
Old Thu Oct 20, 2005, 11:03am
Official Forum Member

Re: Are you sure about that?

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Not so fast. There is not such definition that says GT can only happen on an opponent's shot while defending your own basket. Rule 9-12 Penalty 4 even suggest you could have a double GT call. Rule 9-12 says, "A player shall not commit goaltending."

Peace
I'm sure because one of the criteria of goaltending is that it has to be a try. When you shoot at the wrong basket it is not a try.
Old Thu Oct 20, 2005, 11:13am
Official Forum Member

Well, I was going on definitions 4-22: "Goaltending occurs when a player touches the ball during a field goal try or tap while it is on its downward flight entirely above the basket ring level...", and 4-40-2: "A try for field goal is an attempt to score 2 or 3 points by throwing the ball into a team's own basket".

In this case, A1 "shot" the ball at B's basket, so it is not a try. Since it is not a try, there cannot be goaltending. It would be treated no different than a pass. In the same sitch, if B1 happened to foul A1, it would not be considered a shooting foul either.

I think in your case, it was a legal try by A at A's basket, so yes, A can also be called for goaltending.

(Used with permission.)
Old Thu Oct 20, 2005, 11:17am
Do not give a damn!!

Re: Re: Are you sure about that?

Quote:
Originally posted by cford
Quote:

Peace
I'm sure because one of the criteria of goaltending is that it has to be a try. When you shoot at the wrong basket it is not a try.
Really I am asking is whether GT can take place by Team A or not? You do make a good point that this technically is not a try. It just does not say in 4-22 or 9-12 that Team B is the only team that can have a GT call. I was responding more to M&M's post than your post. Sorry for the confusion.

Peace
Old Thu Oct 20, 2005, 11:22am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Re: Re: Re: Are you sure about that?

Quote:
Really I am asking is whether GT can take place by Team A or not? You do make a good point that this technically is not a try. It just does not say in 4-22 or 9-12 that Team B is the only team that can have a GT call.
Either team may commit GT during a try. In the original sitch, there was no try. But yes, if it had been a try, either team can commit GT.