The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Sep 27, 2005, 08:39am
Official Forum Member

I have a question for you college guys, especially any of you that assign games. I'm heading to a JUCO jamboree in a couple of weeks to get looked at and possibly get some games out of it (I've never worked that level before). I really didn't even think about stepping up to college until some comments given to me at camps this summer so it's a fairly new goal for me. I know I need to be more aware of "dead ball officiating", but what other things can help me look good? I'll be really suprised if I get games the first year down there, but I want to look good enough that I will be considered for games down the road. Thanks.
Old Tue Sep 27, 2005, 10:00am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Junker, I don't assign games at any level, so you can take my comments or leave them. My suggestion to you would be simply to do what you did at camp. You got comments at camp for a reason. Keep doing those things.

1) Look good -- uniform; crisp mechanics.
2) Work hard -- bust your hump from Trail to new Lead; work your butt off in the Center position; "move to improve"; don't be hesitant in your rotations.
3) Get the calls right!

Good luck, man. Hope you have some fun, too.
Old Tue Sep 27, 2005, 10:13am
Official Forum Member

Thanks Chuck. One area I know I need to work on is I get a little stationary when I'm at C and T. I get a decent angle when the ball is away from me and I stand in the same place for too long. Good suggestions, you reminded me to get my butt moving in those positions.
Old Tue Sep 27, 2005, 10:46am
Official Forum Member

Let me add my two cents as well - be available, but be aware. In other words, if an opportunity is given to you, take advantage of it, if that's what you want to do. I'm not a supervisor, but I know they appreciate someone being available. But, if you keep saying no all the time because you have all these other games, they might stop asking. On the other hand, this could mean you might need to give up a high school or middle school date to take this JUCO date, which could then bring it's own set of problems. If you start giving back those dates, those schools and assigners might start thinking you're too good for them, and they will stop asking.

So, be aware of which assigners and schools understand you're moving up, and which ones are only concerned about their games. It just adds a little complexity to the issue of scheduling and "taking games".

(Used with permission.)
Old Tue Sep 27, 2005, 11:02am
Do not give a damn!!

Usually most assignors are not going to get upset if they know you are moving up. The best way to handle that is to simply ask before you give back a game. Be honest with everyone involved and usually assignors will understand.

If this were me, I would go to the jamboree and work hard, hustle and use proper mechanics. The rest will take care of itself. If you shine you might get an opportunity. This is really not rocket science. If you are liked you will get a shot, if you are not liked (or liked enough) you will not get a shot.

Peace
Old Tue Sep 27, 2005, 11:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by M&M Guy
Let me add my two cents as well - be available, but be aware. In other words, if an opportunity is given to you, take advantage of it, if that's what you want to do. I'm not a supervisor, but I know they appreciate someone being available. But, if you keep saying no all the time because you have all these other games, they might stop asking. On the other hand, this could mean you might need to give up a high school or middle school date to take this JUCO date, which could then bring it's own set of problems. If you start giving back those dates, those schools and assigners might start thinking you're too good for them, and they will stop asking.

So, be aware of which assigners and schools understand you're moving up, and which ones are only concerned about their games. It just adds a little complexity to the issue of scheduling and "taking games".
I made a mistake and turned away 3 games and it's been eating at me for over a month. I want to be loyal to my first committment but also want to move up. It's a tough spot because you don't want to burn either bridge.
Old Tue Sep 27, 2005, 11:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisSportsFan
Quote:
Originally posted by M&M Guy

I made a mistake and turned away 3 games and it's been eating at me for over a month. I want to be loyal to my first committment but also want to move up. It's a tough spot because you don't want to burn either bridge.
JRut said it better than I did - be honest all the way around. Talk to all the supervisors/schools involved, and let them know what you want to accomplish. If they are honest with you, you will know which supervisors you can turn games back to, and which ones you can't. Don't EVER lie (like saying you have to turn back a game because it's your wife's birthday, and then they find out you're not married...). But there are plenty of assigners that realize that they want the officials who want to get better, even though those officials are bound to get better jobs as well.

(Used with permission.)
Old Tue Sep 27, 2005, 12:10pm
Official Forum Member

I will be dumping other games if they conflict with JUCO games I get offered. Luckily I am a member of 2 associations. I usually find a potential sub on email before I talk to the assignor. That way I can say, "I know Joe Whomever is available that night."
Old Tue Sep 27, 2005, 12:17pm
Do not give a damn!!

Talking 6000 BABY!!!!!

It always helps if you have subs for the assignor if you have a conflict like that. That does not mean they have to take your sub, but at least you have someone that was willing to work.

Peace
Old Tue Sep 27, 2005, 07:55pm
Official Forum Member

Two thoughts: 1) if you want the JUCO/College games, then you should accept those dates and turn back your prior games without a second thought (unless you've already accepted a college game). If I were an assignor, I wouldn't consider you for future assignments if you give a middle school/high school game priority over a college game. 2) Have a patient whistle. The JUCO kids are stronger, more athletic, and quicker than the players you're used to. They can handle and play through more contact than you realize. The game is faster and you'll feel like you've got to "keep up" with the pace of play. Concentrate on slowing down. You certainly don't want to been seen as an official who makes high school calls in a college game. The good officials learn to judge what contact is a foul and what contact to pass on.
Old Tue Sep 27, 2005, 08:28pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Cool

Remember not to wear a shirt with a collar and/or pocket.
Old Tue Sep 27, 2005, 08:38pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Remember not to wear a shirt with a collar and/or pocket.
Remember to wear a shirt.
Old Tue Sep 27, 2005, 11:13pm
Official Forum Member

Junker,

Jeffpea hit it right on the nose. When I went to ref NBA players, the pace was so different and I got caught up in the game, had a very,very qick whistle, and was spraying everywhere. Rely heavily on your partners and tell them you're new to this and maybe they will tell you what some guys told a friend of mine when he first broke in, "Jeff just relax, and just get used to the flow of the game, we'll take care of you." I am not going to give you advice because i have no doubt you are older than I, but what these guys have been telling you are all good things. I do say this though, I don't know what kind of juco conference it is and who they are affiliated with, but I know in my program that mechanics are what set you apart from the rest of the pack. So go out there and be the best you can be, and don't worry about trying to be better than this guy or that guy. Good luck.

P.S. Remember the term marginal contact. If contact occurs and it doesn't cause a player to lose possession of the ball or lose it out of bounds, there is no need for a whistle. You don't want fouls of such sort to lead to boring and inactive play. As it says in the manual, "Know the consequence of the contact and call the play accordingly". Good luck again. I hope you get to work lots of college ball.
Old Tue Sep 27, 2005, 11:48pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by refTN

P.S. Remember the term marginal contact. If contact occurs and it doesn't cause a player to lose possession of the ball or lose it out of bounds, there is no need for a whistle.
P.S. For at least 50 years, they've had something in the rulebook called "incidental" contact. It's always been labelled in both rule books as such too, along with a good description--i.e. NFHS rule 4-27 and NCAA rule 4-38.

Is there a difference?

Old Wed Sep 28, 2005, 01:06am
Official Forum Member

Sorry JR using NBA terminology. If you want to call it incidental, marginal, or inconclusive contact, I frankly don't care. Use whatever term makes you happy, by all means, but for the love of god just don't stray off the topic like every post seems to do.

Junker good luck. IF you are doing the JUCO games in the southeast let me know, and also if that is the case, if you can give me the assignors name. I can probably help you out.