The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 09, 2007, 07:02am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Ringo
In high school ... ball hits glass on a try. Can it be touched and not be goaltending?
Yes. It's legal to touch the ball if it's outside the cylinder and still on the way up. Whether the ball touches the backboard or not is irrelevant.
Old Fri Feb 09, 2007, 07:31am
Official Forum Member

On page 66 of last year's Simplified & Illustrated there is a picture of a try hitting the backboard above the level of the ring and continuing on its upward flight. The shot is now blocked by a defender while it is still outside of the cylinder. (I wish I could post the picture, but I don't know how. Perhaps someone else can.)

The NFHS caption reads:

9-11; 9-12 This block is legal as the ball is still in its upward flight and is not in the imaginary cylinder above the ring when touched by the defender. If the ball had been in its downward flight outside the cylinder and had a chance of entering the basket, it would have been defensive goaltending, if the touching had occurred with the ball in or touching the cylinder, it would have been basket interference.
Old Fri Feb 09, 2007, 01:49pm
Official Forum Member

In high school ... ball hits glass on a try. Can it be touched and not be goaltending?
Old Fri Feb 09, 2007, 01:53pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Anybody see the movie "Groundhog Day"?
Old Fri Feb 09, 2007, 01:58pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
Anybody see the movie "Groundhog Day"?
All I can say is, "Don't drive angry".

Old Fri Feb 09, 2007, 02:10pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Quote:
SECTION 22 GOALTENDING
Goaltending occurs when a player touches the ball during a field-goal try or tap while it is in its downward flight entirely above the basket ring level and has the possibility of entering the basket in flight, or an opponent of the free thrower touches the ball outside the cylinder during a free-throw attempt.

If it hits the backboard and is on its way down, the answer is no.
Old Sat Feb 10, 2007, 09:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Johnny, post #17 was intended to answer your question. The answer is yes, it can be touched and NOT be goaltending as long as the ball is still on its way up. This is also true in the NCAA. However, the NBA rule is different.
Old Sat Feb 10, 2007, 10:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
Johnny, post #17 was intended to answer your question. The answer is yes, it can be touched and NOT be goaltending as long as the ball is still on its way up. This is also true in the NCAA. However, the NBA rule is different.
This is so incomplete it qualifies as just plain wrong.
Old Sat Feb 10, 2007, 11:01am
Official Forum Member

Should I have said, "as long as the ball is not on its way down," Dan?
Old Sat Feb 10, 2007, 11:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Should I have said, "as long as the ball is not on its way down," Dan?
...and it has a chance to go in and it's not in the cylinder and it's above the rim.

In the context of this thread your answer says the ball can be blocked off the glass only if it's on the way up.
Old Sat Feb 10, 2007, 11:17am
Official Forum Member

Ok, after putting on my hyper-technical hat, I see what you are saying.
I took Johnny's question to be that he desired to know if it was legal to block a shot that had already hit the backboard, was still above the level of the ring, was not in the cylinder, and had a chance to go in.
I simply replied that as long as the ball was still on the way up, then this is a legal block per the Simplified & Illustrated reference that I already cited.

In otherwords, I took all of the other criteria as given. In the context of his question, I was not dealing with a ball that strikes the backboard, but is below the level or the ring, or has no chance to enter the basket, or is in the cylinder.

Of course, to answer the general case, you are correct to point out that all of those other factors need to be considered.

That's what I get for thinking that Johnny asked a relatively straightforward question. Perhaps I read to much into it, but I believe that he was seeking an answer for a very specific case.

We'll just have to wait and let him clarify. Hopefully, we've both helped him to understand this better.
Old Sat Feb 10, 2007, 01:35pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Ok, after putting on my hyper-technical hat, I see what you are saying.
Yeah, fwiw it pisses me off too, Nevada, when Dan goes all hyper-technical on us like that.
Old Sat Feb 10, 2007, 02:29pm
Official Forum Member

So, it all boils down to: was the ball in it's downward flight - no matter if it hit the backboard or not. If the try is in it's downward flight and has a chance to go in - it is golatending. The hitting the backboard really has nothing to do with it.
Old Sat Feb 10, 2007, 02:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
So, it all boils down to: was the ball in it's downward flight - no matter if it hit the backboard or not. If the try is in it's downward flight and has a chance to go in - it is golatending. The hitting the backboard really has nothing to do with it.
That is correct.
Old Sat Feb 10, 2007, 03:04pm
Do not give a damn!!

3 Things

Quote:
1. Ball completely above the rim.

2. Ball on downward flight.

3. Ball has a chance to go in.

If any of these things do not apply, you cannot have goaltending. You notice hitting the backboard is not apart of this equation.

Peace