The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 09, 2005, 07:34pm
Official Forum Member

Hi,

In college basketball, does the backboard have anything to do with a goaltending call?
Old Sun Jan 09, 2005, 07:57pm
Official Forum Member

No.

Downward flight, above the rim level, with a chance to go in.
Old Sun Jan 09, 2005, 08:26pm
Official Forum Member

Imagine a cylinder that projects upward of the rim. Thi cylinder would not touch the backboard, so the backboard is not a part of the cylinder. If the ball is knocked out of the cylinder, while in downward flight, as well as having a chance to go in, it is goaltending. No backboard.
Old Sun Jan 09, 2005, 09:02pm
Official Forum Member

Defender touching the ball after ball hitting the BBoard (bank shot) is almost always a goaltending
Old Sun Jan 09, 2005, 09:04pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by tjksail
Imagine a cylinder that projects upward of the rim. Thi cylinder would not touch the backboard, so the backboard is not a part of the cylinder. If the ball is knocked out of the cylinder, while in downward flight, as well as having a chance to go in, it is goaltending. No backboard.
Um, don't think so. You got that completely wrong. You're describing "basket interference", not "goaltending". Different violations completely.
Old Sun Jan 09, 2005, 09:12pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Ref Daddy

Defender touching the ball after ball hitting the BBoard (bank shot) is almost always a goaltending
I think that a more accurate statement might be that touching the ball after it hits the backboard may be goaltending. The fact that it's hit the backboard has got absolutely nothing to do with a goaltending call, unless it happened in an NBA game. The call depends on whether the ball was touched on the way up or the way down, and also whether it had a chance to go in.
Old Sun Jan 09, 2005, 09:21pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

thanks for the reply. I had this discussion last night. The back board should not have anything to do with the goaltending.
Old Sun Jan 09, 2005, 10:57pm
Official Forum Member

You're describing "basket interference", not "goaltending". Different violations completely. [/B][/QUOTE]

What is basket interference then? What is the penalty for it? I guess I was taught this completly wrong.
Old Sun Jan 09, 2005, 11:01pm
Official Forum Member

This definition, at http://www.hickoksports.com/glossary...ml#goaltending
is the way I was taught.

"goaltending
Interfering with a shot while it is on its downward flight toward the basket, while it is on its upward flight toward the basket after having touched the backboard, or while it is in the cylinder above the rim. If committed by a defensive player, the shot counts. If committed by an offense player, it is a violation and the ball is awarded to the opposing team for a throw-in."

I'am sure you are right, but can you please explain what is wrong with this def.? Thanks
Old Sun Jan 09, 2005, 11:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
is the way I was taught.

"goaltending
Interfering with a shot while it is on its downward flight toward the basket, while it is on its upward flight toward the basket after having touched the backboard, or while it is in the cylinder above the rim. If committed by a defensive player, the shot counts. If committed by an offense player, it is a violation and the ball is awarded to the opposing team for a throw-in."

I'am sure you are right, but can you please explain what is wrong with this def.? Thanks
They combined goaltending and basket interference.

The rule for goaltending is as follows.

Goaltending occurs when a player touches the ball during a try or tap when:

a. The ball is in downwards flight.
b. The entire ball is above rim level.
c. The ball has a possibilty of going in the basket.
d. The ball IS NOT touching an imaginary cylinder that has the basket ring as it's lower base.

a, b, and c are goaltending while d is basket interference if the ball is touched in or above the cylinder.
Old Sun Jan 09, 2005, 11:15pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
is the way I was taught.

"goaltending

Basket Interference has to do with touching the ball, the rim or the net while the ball is on or above the cylinder while the ball is on or above the cylinder. Basket Interference is not really associated with the actions of the shot. Both offense and defense can commit this action very easily. Usually the defense is the only one that commits a goaltending violation. That is of course and over-simplification or the two rules, but they are not the same.

Peace
Old Mon Jan 10, 2005, 07:26am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by nine01c
Tjksail:
Maybe this webpage is correct for NBA (I don't know). If you are interested in college or high school it's not a good source. I quickly scanned that link. My advice would be to never look at it again. It took me about 10 seconds to find numerous errors in definitions, descriptions and usage. And that was only the five or six things I actually read.

Tjksail, that's good advice. Don't depend on those posted rules at all. Quite a few are wrong. The NCAA rules are on-line at:

http://www2.ncaa.org/media_and_event...playing_rules/

The definitions of "basket interference" and "goaltending" are in Rule 4, and the penalties are in Rule 9.
Old Mon Jan 10, 2005, 03:50pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for your help on this everybody.