Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 26, 2007, 11:59pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Mountaineer Send a message via Yahoo to Mountaineer
Huntington HS in trouble!

WOW! The best HS player in the country by most accounts - OJ Mayo - was ejected from a game tonight. A buddy of mine actually stuck him for his 2nd T (I actually know all 3 - 2 of them are from my local board). I haven't been able to talk to him - just saw it on the news. My buddy is a D1 official and isn't afraid to whack someone - they actually stick kids pretty quickly IMO. That being said, the footage on TV actually looked like everything was justified.

Here's the problem - OJ, by WVSSAC rule, has to sit out 10% of their games - or 2 games. Their next game is against Artesia, CA - the former #2 team in the country. The game is on ESPN and is being played at Duke. So this will be interesting. Stay tuned if this interests you.

The best part about beating your head against the wall is it feels so good when you stop.
Old Sat Jan 27, 2007, 12:19am
Official Forum Member

I would predict that he will play in an ESPN televised game at Duke and the WVSSAC rules will not govern that game since it is out of state! please keep us informed!
Old Sat Jan 27, 2007, 12:34am
Official Forum Member

Yes, please keep us informed. I got home, saw that, and called a friend who is a college coach. We both agreed some way would be found for Mayo to play. However, I am hoping, if the rules are he shouldn't, then he won't. But, I'm not holding my breath.
Old Sat Jan 27, 2007, 12:39am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Mountaineer Send a message via Yahoo to Mountaineer
The company I work for actually owns the broadcasting rights to all of the WVSSAC Championships so we are pretty tight with the WVSSAC - hopefully I'll get a scoop on Monday . . . plus, one of my coworkers sons is the assistant AD at Huntington.

The game is Tuesday in Durham - won't be much time to fight over this one. If there was more time I think the WVSSAC would declare him ineligible and a judge would allow him to play - but there's not a lot of time. Johnny, I think they will have jurisdiction . . . but we'll see. I'll make some calls tomorrow and see what's going on.

The best part about beating your head against the wall is it feels so good when you stop.
Old Sat Jan 27, 2007, 01:09am
Official Forum Member

If they let him play when they would uphold the suspension for any other player,....well, I hope they've got bigger balls than that.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sat Jan 27, 2007, 01:24am
Official Forum Member

why is your friend a D1 official and working HS boys basketball? something doesnt jive up here....unless he is a D1 women's official of some sort.
Old Sat Jan 27, 2007, 02:23am
Official Forum Member

We have D1 officials working games in my association. Plus, if it's O.J. Mayo playing - that would explain to me why he might be working the game.
Old Sat Jan 27, 2007, 02:41am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef
If they let him play when they would uphold the suspension for any other player,....well, I hope they've got bigger balls than that.
You know how this one is gonna turn out. No brainer at all. The kid plays.
Old Sat Jan 27, 2007, 03:00am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to BOBBYMO Send a message via Yahoo to BOBBYMO
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeump
why is your friend a D1 official and working HS boys basketball? something doesnt jive up here....unless he is a D1 women's official of some sort.
Orange-

Could you please explain to me what you mean by this?
Old Sat Jan 27, 2007, 09:32am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Some D1 guys don't work as many games as Welmer -- are they supposed to stay home the rest of the week?
Old Sat Jan 27, 2007, 10:48am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Fronheiser
Some D1 guys don't work as many games as Welmer -- are they supposed to stay home the rest of the week?
We have D1 officials on our board that work High School. Its the Officials' preference if he wants to continue to do high school. I am sure if his schedule permits it, he will continue to do both.
Old Sat Jan 27, 2007, 11:05am
Official Forum Member

Hmm,

In Portland, OR we have D1 guys in football, basketball and baseball that all add to their schedules by working high school schedules.

Regards,
Old Sat Jan 27, 2007, 11:45am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim C
In Portland, OR we have D1 guys in football, basketball and baseball that all add to their schedules by working high school schedules.

Regards,
And who better to serve as mentors for younger officials....
Old Sat Jan 27, 2007, 12:27pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Crazy statement by you, orangeump. We have 3 D1 NCAA-M officials on our board who work substantial HS schedules and 1 D1 NCAA-W official who does the same. But we do have one associate member who gave up her HS schedule because her NCAA Women's schedule is too heavy. She is the best official on our board, IMO, and regularly worked Boys games for our board.
Old Sat Jan 27, 2007, 01:17pm
Official Forum Member

D3 is different than D1....are you aware of how much faster the D1 game is than the HS game? That is why I was wondering about this. Just doesnt seem like something that is normally done or that I would do given the chance.

As far as the post that said "OJ Mayo was playing, thats why." I am sure he cares....if he is a D1 official he gets to see better players on a daily basis...come on now.
Closed Thread