The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Jurassic Referee (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/31198-jurassic-referee.html)

Huntin' Ref Wed Jan 24, 2007 07:07pm

Jurassic Referee

I need to know the background of this common quote....

"Only in the ....wait for it.....SEC"

I see you use it, but I wasn't around when this inside joke started. Please give me a little insight!!! :D

Camron Rust Wed Jan 24, 2007 07:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huntin' Ref
I need to know the background of this common quote....

"Only in the ....wait for it.....SEC"

I see you use it, but I wasn't around when this inside joke started. Please give me a little insight!!! :D

IIRC, it started like this....

There was pretender on here a while back that claimed to be on the SEC staff. In everything he stated seemed to reference the SEC, as if they were the gods of basketball. He say something about the SEC in every post to support his point, even if it wasn't true. In the end, it was determined that this person may have went to some camp with the SEC and he was on some sort of mailing list...never worked a game for any sort of SEC team...even in the summer. He faded away....but Jurrassic's contempt for the SEC remains.

<HR>
Edit:
In fact, we alway have a few pretenders floating around. Some are just more obnoxious than others. There will alway be those who deliberately give just enough information about their games to give one impression when the full details would reveal something else altogether.

Jurassic Referee Wed Jan 24, 2007 07:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust
IIRC, it started like this....

There was pretender on here a while back that claimed to be on the SEC staff. In everything he stated seemed to reference the SEC, as if they were the gods of basketball. He say something about the SEC in every post to support his point, even if it wasn't true. In the end, it was determined that this person may have went to some camp with the SEC and he was on some sort of mailing list...never worked a game for any sort of SEC team...even in the summer. He faded away....but Jurrassic's contempt for the SEC remains.

Not completely true. I really don't have any contempt for the SEC. I just found it kinda hilarious that it turned out that we were being lectured by a 19-year old college student who had gone to a camp, had a few middle school games under his belt, and had never officiated at the high school level, Frosh, JV or otherwise. He kept insisting that the SEC was the be-all and the end-all though.

Here's where it started:
http://forum.officiating.com/showthr...t=19983&page=2

Look for a post by refTN at 8:05pm.

From there, it kinda just evolved into a running joke amongst a whole bunch of us.

And, having said that, I hope that refTN is still officiating, is learning with experience, and that someday I might be watching him do an SEC game on tv.

When I was 19, I thought I knew everything too. It's kinda amazing that I've seemed to get stoopider every year since then.:)

Nevadaref Wed Jan 24, 2007 07:51pm

Add to that the fact that the SEC has been responsible for some of the worst screwups recently in NCAA basketball and that completes the argument that the SEC is not superior sort that refTN claimed.

Examples of the SEC screwups:
Brian Enterline's "do-over" in an SEC women's game.
The 3 vs. 2 pt shot video review in the Alabama game.

Dan_ref Wed Jan 24, 2007 08:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Not completely true. I really don't have any contempt for the SEC. I just found it kinda hilarious that it turned out that we were being lectured by a 19-year old college student who had gone to a camp, had a few middle school games under his belt, and had never officiated at the high school level, Frosh, JV or otherwise. He kept insisting that the SEC was the be-all and the end-all though.

Here's where it started:
http://forum.officiating.com/showthr...t=19983&page=2

Look for a post by refTN at 8:05pm.

From there, it kinda just evolved into a running joke amongst a whole bunch of us.

And, having said that, I hope that refTN is still officiating, is learning with experience, and that someday I might be watching him do an SEC game on tv.

When I was 19, I thought I knew everything too. It's kinda amazing that I've seemed to get stoopider every year since then.:)

Who's...wait for it...Chuck Elias?

Jurassic Referee Wed Jan 24, 2007 08:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust

<HR>
Edit:
In fact, we alway have a few pretenders floating around. Some are just more obnoxious than others. There will alway be those who deliberately give just enough information about their games to give one impression when the full details would reveal something else altogether.

And this is the thread where refTN finally got outed:

http://forum.officiating.com/showthr...t=21276&page=3

You're up to date now, Huntin' Ref.

Dan_ref Wed Jan 24, 2007 08:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref
Add to that the fact that the SEC has been responsible for some of the worst screwups recently in NCAA basketball and that completes the argument that the SEC is not superior sort that refTN claimed.

Examples of the SEC screwups:
Brian Enterline's "do-over" in an SEC women's game.
The 3 vs. 2 pt shot video review in the Alabama game.

:wtf:

You do realize that officials that work the SEC often work ...wait for it...other leagues as well, don't you.

Are you claiming that all officials are guilty of some of the worst screw-ups in recent history? Or are you saying there's something about the SEC that causes officials who normally do not screw up to suddenly become near-human?

Or exactly wtf are you saying?

Dan_ref Wed Jan 24, 2007 08:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
And this is the thread where refTN finally got outed:

http://forum.officiating.com/showthr...t=21276&page=3

You're up to date now, Huntin' Ref.

That clears it up for me, except for one minor annoying question

who is...wait for it...Chuck Elias??

Nevadaref Wed Jan 24, 2007 08:48pm

I'm saying that the screwups happened in SEC games by officials on the SEC staff. That's all.

Yes, I know that NCAA officials often work for multiple conferences. They also work for different supervisors, who sometimes give them different instructions/philosophies on how to call the game in a particular conference.

Dan_ref Wed Jan 24, 2007 08:51pm

Quote:

I'm saying that the screwups happened in SEC games by officials on the SEC staff. That's all.

Yes, I know that NCAA officials often work for multiple conferences. They also work for different supervisors, who sometimes give them different instructions/philosophies on how to call the game in a particular conference.

So you're actually saying the SEC trains their officials to screw up.

Interesting. Why would they do this?

Nevadaref Wed Jan 24, 2007 08:55pm

Obviously, no conference would desire that their officials screwup. Some may spend more time with training instruction than others though. Some may emphasize management skills, some youth, some looks, mechanics, and physique.
My point is that the SEC officials are no better than those who work for any other conference. Their recent glaring mistakes make it impossible to state that they are.

Jurassic Referee Wed Jan 24, 2007 08:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan_ref
That clears it up for me, except for one minor annoying question

who is...wait for it...Chuck Elias??

Sigh....how soon they forget....

http://www.comedy-zone.net/pictures/.../animal020.jpg

This was the only way that he could get high.

BktBallRef Wed Jan 24, 2007 09:12pm

Quote:

Their football officials are have a far worse reputation among fellow officials than the basketball side ever dreamed of.

Dan_ref Wed Jan 24, 2007 09:22pm

Quote:

Obviously, no conference would desire that their officials screwup. Some may spend more time with training instruction than others though. Some may emphasize management skills, some youth, some looks, mechanics, and physique.
My point is that the SEC officials are no better than those who work for any other conference. Their recent glaring mistakes make it impossible to state that they are.

OK, so this is what I take away based on out dialogue:

we agree that officials that work SEC also work other conferences

you claim the SEC is responsible for some of the worst screw-ups recently (*your words*).

youstate that some conferences emphasise looks while others are concerned with training (*your words*).

I can only infer that you believe the SEC concerns themselves with looks at the expense of training which leads to their recent screw-ups.

Am I wrong? If so what do you wish to retract?

Mark Padgett Wed Jan 24, 2007 09:28pm

I happen to know that the guy IS working in the SEC - South East Croatia - league. :rolleyes: