The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 23, 2007, 09:08am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=deecee]i guarantee your pre-game with the scorer wont change the fact that the scorer screwed up.

Do you mean to tell me you look at the book in between all quarters and count up all the fouls and score and then check the visiting book as well and compare. I highly doubt your answer will be yes to that?
QUOTE]

Never say Never and NEver say always. Scorers are going to screw up, timers, and officials. Making them a part of your team is important. Do I check each point scored by each palyer and how many fouls each player has no. I make sure the totals are there. I make certian that the visitor and home books are the same in the running totals. ALso if there is just on book, I do spend time on making certain they know how important the scorer's job is.

Notice the OP said she did not keep running total of the score. She did not know her job responsibilities. I always ask them to make sure the running score and scoreboard are in sync.

I wander when you pre-grame with your partners is it just, let's call agood game and if you have any questions we'll talk. I don't think you do. Pre-game is vitally important.
Old Tue Jan 23, 2007, 09:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle
The reality, at least in the games I've had scorekeeper trouble in, is that the table crews who are going to do a good job are there and available to pregame with. The ones who are going to give you trouble are nowhere to be found until just before the game starts. And even then they will refuse to admit that this is the first time they've ever kept score/run the clock.
When I am the R, I will wait for the scorer and timer. I will tell someone to go get them or When they return I pre-game with them. I do not put that aside. I want them to know how important their job is to making certain the game goes well. I have had scorers and timers tell me that they have been doing this for 20+ years. Guess what, I still tell pre-game with them.