The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Mon Sep 18, 2006, 06:14pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 40
Pac-10 officials vs. OK suspended one game

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060918/...ahoma_replay_3
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Mon Sep 18, 2006, 08:07pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Glendale, AZ
Posts: 1,023
Quote:

University of Oklahoma president David Boren sent a letter Monday to Big 12 commissioner Kevin Weiberg, saying the officiating problems was beyond an "outrageous injustice," and asking him to pursue having the game eliminated from the record books and having the officials involved in the game suspended for the remainder of the season.
Good God, Boren, it's a fricking football game. Mistakes were made. It happens. Get over it.

Has your admissions office ever let kids into OU who flunked out? Ever suspended them for doing so?
__________________
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Mon Sep 18, 2006, 08:44pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 1,226
This is terrible.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Mon Sep 18, 2006, 09:50pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 2,191
I don't have a problem with the suspensions, but I do with if they are going to do that, conferences should be more proactive in having press conferences announcing in the other 99.9% of cases when they are correct.

Boren's an idiot. Always has been; always will be.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old Mon Sep 18, 2006, 09:58pm
Do not give a damn!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: On the border
Posts: 30,158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie
I don't have a problem with the suspensions, but I do with if they are going to do that, conferences should be more proactive in having press conferences announcing in the other 99.9% of cases when they are correct.
I completely agree with this statement.

Peace
__________________
Let us get into "Good Trouble."
-----------------------------------------------------------
Charles Michael “Mick” Chambers (1947-2010)
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old Tue Sep 19, 2006, 04:26am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 226
Send a message via AIM to dave30
Oklahoma Sooner fans are like Dallas Maverick fans. When they win....they WON the game. When they lose....they were obviously CHEATED !!!
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old Tue Sep 19, 2006, 07:11am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: SE Wisconsin
Posts: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman72
This is terrible.

At the Div 1 and Pro level officials get paid a lot more money and with the big paycheck comes more accountability.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old Tue Sep 19, 2006, 07:21am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: New York
Posts: 126
Send a message via AIM to FootballRef05
It's unfortunate that it happened however, the crew should be held accountable for the errors. We all make mistakes and even at the HS level I am held accountable if something goes wrong. I don't agree with the OU having a big to do press conference about it, but the suspension for 1 game does not seem outrageous IMO.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old Tue Sep 19, 2006, 07:28am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: SE Wisconsin
Posts: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by FootballRef05
It's unfortunate that it happened however, the crew should be held accountable for the errors. We all make mistakes and even at the HS level I am held accountable if something goes wrong. I don't agree with the OU having a big to do press conference about it, but the suspension for 1 game does not seem outrageous IMO.
You are totally right on the BIG 12 press conference crap, saying the game shouldn't even count and it should be taken off the record book is a joke. After all this I hope all goes well this season at all the Big 12 football games, no pressure being put on their officials to be perfect!
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old Tue Sep 19, 2006, 07:43am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Indianola, Ia
Posts: 319
Most of you know by now that i am an OU fan. I to agree that Borens letter is over the top as far as the game not counting. Think that is just a political stance to show that he is standing up for his school. Deep down he knows nothing will happen.

As far as the comment when OU wins they WON the game and when the lose they got cheated; show me one fan base who does not have that attitude among their followers. Most fans can be realist but every fan base has their share.

As far as the replay system itself in NCAA that as an official i would hate is the fact the Ref on the field is totally out of the review process. Unlike the NFL where they have a monitor on the sideline, he has put his fate in a guy upstairs. The crew is at the mercy of the upstairs review guy. In this case if the head ref sees maybe he does overturn it and this controversey is all avoided, but instead you have some guy up there playing god. As an official if i or my crew made the call let me review so i can live with my decision and solely my decision.
__________________
"Call what you see and see what you call!"
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old Tue Sep 19, 2006, 08:07am
sj sj is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Posts: 360
Even though he knows it won't happen it was an embaressment for Boren to even ask for the game to not count. But Stoops seems to be handling it pretty well. However I have heard the Oregon coach quoted and so far it's the typical, ....we played good enough to win....my boys fought hard.....things happen in games...crap. He may have said other things too but that's all I've heard. It's just more proof that if their team wins coaches could care less if it was done right.

Does anybody know if the replay official saw the view from the end zone on the tipped ball/pass nterference play?

Last edited by sj; Tue Sep 19, 2006 at 08:13am.
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old Tue Sep 19, 2006, 08:58am
In Memoriam
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Hell
Posts: 20,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave30
Oklahoma Sooner fans are like Dallas Maverick fans. When they win....they WON the game. When they lose....they were obviously CHEATED !!!
LOL.....you musta been reading the Basketball forum last June.

That includes Dallas fanboys who are also umpires/officials too.
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old Tue Sep 19, 2006, 09:41am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: SE Wisconsin
Posts: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBo
Most of you know by now that i am an OU fan. I to agree that Borens letter is over the top as far as the game not counting. Think that is just a political stance to show that he is standing up for his school. Deep down he knows nothing will happen.

As far as the comment when OU wins they WON the game and when the lose they got cheated; show me one fan base who does not have that attitude among their followers. Most fans can be realist but every fan base has their share.

As far as the replay system itself in NCAA that as an official i would hate is the fact the Ref on the field is totally out of the review process. Unlike the NFL where they have a monitor on the sideline, he has put his fate in a guy upstairs. The crew is at the mercy of the upstairs review guy. In this case if the head ref sees maybe he does overturn it and this controversey is all avoided, but instead you have some guy up there playing god. As an official if i or my crew made the call let me review so i can live with my decision and solely my decision.

You probably would have won the game by 20 points if your starting QB wasn't making $25 an hour and a job he wasn't showing up for! Was that also the PAC 10 officiating crews fault or the reply officials fault?
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old Tue Sep 19, 2006, 10:28am
Rich's Avatar
Get away from me, Steve.
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 15,741
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBo
Most of you know by now that i am an OU fan. I to agree that Borens letter is over the top as far as the game not counting. Think that is just a political stance to show that he is standing up for his school. Deep down he knows nothing will happen.

As far as the comment when OU wins they WON the game and when the lose they got cheated; show me one fan base who does not have that attitude among their followers. Most fans can be realist but every fan base has their share.

As far as the replay system itself in NCAA that as an official i would hate is the fact the Ref on the field is totally out of the review process. Unlike the NFL where they have a monitor on the sideline, he has put his fate in a guy upstairs. The crew is at the mercy of the upstairs review guy. In this case if the head ref sees maybe he does overturn it and this controversey is all avoided, but instead you have some guy up there playing god. As an official if i or my crew made the call let me review so i can live with my decision and solely my decision.
Boren should get this passionate over something that doesn't involve intercollegiate athletics.
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old Tue Sep 19, 2006, 10:44am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 2,191
Quote:
like Dallas Maverick fans
Actually more like SA fans. I watched every Mavericks playoff game this past year and I don't recall the Mavs fans chanting, in unison, "refs you suck" as SA fans did in game two of the WC semis (against the Mavs) while DOWN by 20+ points.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Suspended game Rackster Baseball 1 Wed Apr 20, 2005 05:54am
3 Officials suspended one game each Jimgolf Basketball 8 Tue Feb 01, 2005 05:11pm
Suspended Game???? jesmael Baseball 9 Fri Jun 18, 2004 03:52pm
Game Suspended JRutledge Basketball 4 Thu Nov 29, 2001 10:10am
officials suspended co2ice Basketball 9 Tue Feb 13, 2001 12:15pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:17pm.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1