The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 17, 2007, 04:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RookieDude
What would you do, as an officiating crew, if the FT shooter decides to go talk to the coach as the L is ready to administer the 1st FT?

The player actually went to the sideline and held a brief conversation with the coach...as the officials were telling him to go back to the line.
(I wasn't there, so I don't know how many times the officials had to tell the player...or how long it took the player to go back to the line.)
How about following the specified ruling?

DELAY BY FREE THROWER
10.3.6 SITUATION: The calling official has reported the foul and has given directions to players along the lane. The official is ready to put the ball at free thrower A1's disposal, but A1 is at the sideline talking to the coach. RULING: A technical foul for delay is charged to A1. No warning is authorized in this situation. (10-3-6c)
Old Wed Jan 17, 2007, 04:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
How about following the specified ruling?

DELAY BY FREE THROWER
10.3.6 SITUATION: The calling official has reported the foul and has given directions to players along the lane. The official is ready to put the ball at free thrower A1's disposal, but A1 is at the sideline talking to the coach. RULING: A technical foul for delay is charged to A1. No warning is authorized in this situation. (10-3-6c)
We talked about this situation...and giving the T. But, the officials went on to ask if:

a) they could have used their "game management" skills and just got the player to return to the line before any big delay.

b) there was a violation for the player leaving the semi-circle once the L was ready to administer.

c) they could have given a delay warning as the player was leaving the semi-circle.

For what it's worth...I told them:
a) probably, if the player didn't continue to the bench
b) not that I know of
c) not one of the 4 delay warnings

what say you...
Richland, WA
Old Wed Jan 17, 2007, 04:37pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
We talked about this situation...and giving the T. But, the officials went on to ask if:

a) they could have used their "game management" skills and just got the player to return to the line before any big delay.
Perhaps, an official could have reminded the player that he's the shooter and/or asked if he was injured or "something".
Old Wed Jan 17, 2007, 04:40pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick
Perhaps, an official could have reminded the player that he's the shooter and/or asked if he was injured or "something".
Spoken like a true veteran.
Richland, WA
Old Wed Jan 17, 2007, 04:51pm
In Memoriam

Quote:

b) there was a violation for the player leaving the semi-circle once the L was ready to administer.

c) they could have given a delay warning as the player was leaving the semi-circle.

For what it's worth...I told them:
a) probably, if the player didn't continue to the bench
b) not that I know of
c) not one of the 4 delay warnings

what say you...
I agree with your answers. If the FT shooter immediately returns to the semi-circle without going to the bench, tell him not to do that again and administer the FT. If he ignores you and continues to the bench, call the immediate technical foul. You'd never warn him twice though.
Old Wed Jan 17, 2007, 04:56pm
Official Forum Member

RD,
Your answers are correct.
For part (b) just note that the requirement for the FT shooter not to leave (or enter per the case book) the semicircle begins AFTER the ball becomes live on the FT which is when it is placed at the disposal of the thrower.
Old Wed Jan 17, 2007, 05:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
RD,
Your answers are correct.
For part (b) just note that the requirement for the FT shooter not to leave (or enter per the case book) the semicircle begins AFTER the ball becomes live on the FT which is when it is placed at the disposal of the thrower.
Yep...thanks, mick, JR and Nevada (good case play BTW)...just looking for a little validation.
Richland, WA
Old Wed Jan 17, 2007, 08:19pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down Response From Officail who made the call

"It was a championship junior high school tournament game. 2. We play under the umbrella of the LHSAA/Federation rules. To that end let me quote the rule that applies and the intent behind that rule. Under the Rules Enforcement paragraph of the LHSAA rules book it states "Officials need to be aware that personal interpretations of the rules have a negative impact on the game. The rules are written to provide a balance between offense and defense, minimize risks to participants, promote the sound tradition of the game and promote fair play. Individual philosophies and diviation from the rules as written negatively impact the basic fundamentals and tenants of the rules. The free throw rule is specific in that it is a violation if after receiving and having control of the ball the free thrower has either foot beyond the vertical plane of the edge of the free throw line prior to the basketball entering the basket or hitting the rim of the basket. The bottom line - we are paid to call the game according to the rules that apply."
Old Wed Jan 17, 2007, 09:04pm
In Memoriam

Old Wed Jan 17, 2007, 11:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecolintman
"It was a championship junior high school tournament game. 2. We play under the umbrella of the LHSAA/Federation rules. To that end let me quote the rule that applies and the intent behind that rule. Under the Rules Enforcement paragraph of the LHSAA rules book it states "Officials need to be aware that personal interpretations of the rules have a negative impact on the game. The rules are written to provide a balance between offense and defense, minimize risks to participants, promote the sound tradition of the game and promote fair play. Individual philosophies and diviation from the rules as written negatively impact the basic fundamentals and tenants of the rules. The free throw rule is specific in that it is a violation if after receiving and having control of the ball the free thrower has either foot beyond the vertical plane of the edge of the free throw line prior to the basketball entering the basket or hitting the rim of the basket. The bottom line - we are paid to call the game according to the rules that apply."
Is that the dialect used in LA?

Here is the response that I would send back:
THE INTENT AND PURPOSE OF THE RULES
The restrictions which the rules place upon the players are intended to create a balance of play; to provide equal opportunity between the offense and the defense; to provide equal opportunity between the small player and tall player; to provide reasonable safety and protection; to create an atmosphere of sporting behavior and fair play; and to emphasize cleverness and skill without unduly limiting freedom of action of individual or team play on either offense or defense.
Therefore, it is important to know the intent and purpose of a rule so that it may be intelligently applied in each play situation. A player or a team should not be permitted an advantage which is not intended by a rule. Neither should play be permitted to develop which may lead to placing a player at a disadvantage not intended by a rule.
It is the policy of the NFHS Basketball Rules Committee that there be no deviation from the rules unless experimental approval has been granted by the NFHS liaison to the rules committee.

---------------
FREE-THROWER LOSES BALL
9.1.1 SITUATION: A1, at the free throw line to attempt a free throw (a) muffs the pass from the official and it rolls forward; or (b) accidentally drops the ball before the throwing motion is started. RULING: In (a) and (b) the official should sound the whistle to prevent any violations and then start the free throw procedure again.

Old Wed Jan 17, 2007, 11:22pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
FREE-THROWER LOSES BALL
9.1.1 SITUATION: A1, at the free throw line to attempt a free throw (a) muffs the pass from the official and it rolls forward; or (b) accidentally drops the ball before the throwing motion is started. RULING: In (a) and (b) the official should sound the whistle to prevent any violations and then start the free throw procedure again.

I git it, now. It's a rule requiring the prevention of a violation, as opposed to a rule penalizing a violation.
If we employ the accepted slow whistle, the rule goes away and the violation goes with it. It becomes omniabsent.
Old Thu Jan 18, 2007, 12:40am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Ask them when the LHSAA's 3-person mechanics are planning of coming out of the early 90s. Their document online still requires the center to be opposite the table at all times and for the foul caller to become the center official. Is that really how they work in LA?

When I lived there, it was all 2-person.
Old Thu Jan 18, 2007, 01:52am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

Quote:
#1, I don't believe the official SAID this. There must have been some type of written response that you're quoting. This is directly from this year's NFHS Points of Emphasis.

#2, The official made the correct call. If he's able to kill the play before the shooter crosses the lane, great. If not, it's a violation. Can discretion be used in a 10 year old game? Yes. Does it make the official wrong if he follows the rule? No, it doesn't, in spite of what the OP thinks.

#3, The original poster is pissed because the call was made. Further, he does NOT know the rule. After I responsed with the initial reply in this thread, he PM'ed me.

Quote:
I thought that a shot had to be taken for the violation to occur.
Basically, he looking for a scapegoat.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Thu Jan 18, 2007, 12:07pm
Official Forum Member

While BktBallRef makes valid points, the fact remains that the official did not use good judgment in applying the purpose and intent of the rule. The rule which prohibits the free thrower from breaking the plane of the FT line is clearly for the purpose of preventing the shooter from jumping closer to the basket while trying for goal. It is not intended to take away a FT opportunity from a player who dropped the ball prior to shooting it.

I think that the OP has a right to be upset.