The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 15, 2007, 08:27pm
Official Forum Member

Free Throw Violation

Ball is given to shooter by ref at free throw line . Girl catches ball, bounces it and loses control. She steps in the lane to retreive fumbled ball. It this a free throw violation?

P.S. this was a 10 year old girl.
Old Mon Jan 15, 2007, 08:30pm
Official Forum Member

By rule, yes. The L should whistle the play dead before she can go after the ball.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Jan 15, 2007, 08:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecolintman
Ball is given to shooter by ref at free throw line . Girl catches ball, bounces it and loses control. She steps in the lane to retreive fumbled ball. It this a free throw violation?

P.S. this was a 10 year old girl.
The NFHS case play for this is 9.1.1 regardless of what age the players are. Even if the official's are a little slow on the whistle, please use common sense and just give the shooter a replacement throw.
Old Tue Jan 16, 2007, 07:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef
By rule, yes. The L should whistle the play dead before she can go after the ball.

Make sure when you use the phrase "by rule" that you are actually right. This is not a violation.
Old Tue Jan 16, 2007, 07:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodwillRef
Make sure when you use the phrase "by rule" that you are actually right. This is not a violation.
Tony is actually right. Notice that the case book play, of which he is well-aware, says "the official should sound the whistle to prevent any violations and then start the free throw procedure again."

In the play presented a violation has already occurred prior to the official taking any action. Therefore, by rule, the free thrower has committed violation. Now any decent official is going to bend the rule a bit and simply sound the whistle as quickly as possible and readminister the FT.
Old Tue Jan 16, 2007, 07:46am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Make sure that you read the case book play cited--9.1.1-- before you make statements like the above.

That case play is a rule. It basically says that the FTshooter going to get the fumbled ball would be committing a violation(as per rule 9-1-7). The official should blow the whistle to prevent a violation, and then re-set the FT before the FT shooter actually commits that violation.

Iow, BktBallRef was completely right in his statement, by rule.
Old Tue Jan 16, 2007, 07:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Make sure you know WTF you're talking about before you disagree with me.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Tue Jan 16, 2007, 08:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef
Make sure you know WTF you're talking about before you disagree with me.

How is it a violation? If the free thrower hasn't started the throwing motion it is not a violation, if it was the play would say it was a violation. Where in Case Play 9.1.1 does it say that what happen is a violation???
Old Tue Jan 16, 2007, 08:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
How is it a violation? If the free thrower hasn't started the throwing motion it is not a violation, if it was the play would say it was a violation. Where in Case Play 9.1.1 does it say that what happen is a violation???
I apologize, I missed that she ran after the ball!
Old Tue Jan 16, 2007, 08:25am
In Memoriam

Quote:
If the FT shooter moves to recover the fumbled ball, they will commit a FT violation as per NFHS rule 9-1-7. Case book play 9.1.1 says that you can avoid calling the violation IF you blow your whistle BEFORE the violation is committed. If the FT shooter commits the violation BEFORE you blow your whistle though, then it is too late to re-set the play, by rule.

As Z said above though, don't be a plumber. Just re-set the damn thing- especially with 10 year old kids.
Old Tue Jan 16, 2007, 09:38pm
certified Hot Mom tester

If one of my local ref league refs called this against a 10 year old, I'd smack him (or her, Juulie) upside the head with a frying pan, then make him (or her) sit in a closet reading all of Old Tool's posts while listening to an endless loop of Billy Packer rules comments.
Old Wed Jan 17, 2007, 12:15pm
Official Forum Member

UH . . . I would NEVER make that call in YOUR league . . . I can handle the whole frying pan thing, even reading Old Tool's comments, but Billy Packer . . . NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!
Old Wed Jan 17, 2007, 03:50pm
Official Forum Member

We seem to have several players locally who are now passing the ball around their body a couple of times before a couple of bounces and then the attempt.

I would be more apt to call a violation on someone doing this who then drops the ball past the line and goes to retrieve it.
Old Wed Jan 17, 2007, 03:56pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by stmaryrams
We seem to have several players locally who are now passing the ball around their body a couple of times before a couple of bounces and then the attempt.

I would be more apt to call a violation on someone doing this who then drops the ball past the line and goes to retrieve it.
Ha !
I have to say that the temptation to call it would be very real.
Dunno if I could.
Old Wed Jan 17, 2007, 04:05pm
Official Forum Member

What would you do, as an officiating crew, if the FT shooter decides to go talk to the coach as the L is ready to administer the 1st FT?

The player actually went to the sideline and held a brief conversation with the coach...as the officials were telling him to go back to the line.
(I wasn't there, so I don't know how many times the officials had to tell the player...or how long it took the player to go back to the line.)
Richland, WA