The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 17, 2007, 11:18pm
Official Forum Member

White men CAN jump!*

Here's a scenario that recently happened in our area:
Team A is a Christian school not known for their play above the rim...

Team A had a big lead late in the game and decided to get cute. A2 remained on his offensive end of the court, parking himself about a foot in front of the basket. After a defensive rebound, a Team A player fired the ball upcourt to A1 who dribbled toward his goal and, without traveling, stepped into A2's hands, was lifted high off the court and dunked the ball. The fans went wild, the coach loved it and the players thought they’d died and gone to heaven. Less amused were both officials, one of which waved off the goal and called a technical.

Rule 10 Section 3 Article 7 tells us: "A player shall not commit an unsporting foul. This includes, but is not limited to, acts or conduct such as: e. Climbing on or lifting a teammate to secure greater height." PENALTY: Technical foul. Two free throws plus ball for division-line throw-in.

Now on to the tricky part...
Who receives a technical foul?
a) A1 (the dunker)
b) A2 (the lifter)
c) A1 & A2
d) None of the above, hope the game was being filmed and send it in to America's Funniest Home Videos. After winning first place, share the money with all of your Officialforum.com friends

As the rule reads, it seems to me that both players would be charged with a technical foul (i.e. A1 for climbing on a teammate; A2 for lifting a teammate). Can anyone find a Case Book reference (I've already checked 04-'05, '05-'06 & '06-'07)?
a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented."
Arnold Palmer
Old Wed Jan 17, 2007, 11:23pm
Official Forum Member

http://www.nfhs.org/cgi-bin/ultimate...;f=11;t=001291

We just discussed this on the NFHS forum at the link above.

So, I'll just add here that if you are going to call it by the book and charge both the climber and the lifter with technical fouls, then please go all the way and don't forget to charge the dunker with a second T for dunking a dead ball per 10-3-4.
Old Wed Jan 17, 2007, 11:42pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref

So, I'll just add here that if you are going to call it by the book and charge both the climber and the lifter with technical fouls, then please go all the way and don't forget to charge the dunker with a second T for dunking a dead ball per 10-3-4.
And go ahead and hit the coach with his own T while you're at it. It'll save time.
Personally, I'm getting the dunker but not the trampoline.
Old Thu Jan 18, 2007, 12:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref

Hate to be a T machine, but one for the lifter, one for the dunker, after that the coach will most likely be going off and so one for the coaches, after that the fans will get unruly, and one for them also. Ok, maybe not a T towards the fans, but have game management handle them.