The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Free Throw Violation (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/30914-free-throw-violation.html)

ecolintman Mon Jan 15, 2007 08:27pm

Free Throw Violation

Ball is given to shooter by ref at free throw line . Girl catches ball, bounces it and loses control. She steps in the lane to retreive fumbled ball. It this a free throw violation?

P.S. this was a 10 year old girl.

BktBallRef Mon Jan 15, 2007 08:30pm

By rule, yes. The L should whistle the play dead before she can go after the ball.

zebraman Mon Jan 15, 2007 08:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ecolintman
Ball is given to shooter by ref at free throw line . Girl catches ball, bounces it and loses control. She steps in the lane to retreive fumbled ball. It this a free throw violation?

P.S. this was a 10 year old girl.

The NFHS case play for this is 9.1.1 regardless of what age the players are. Even if the official's are a little slow on the whistle, please use common sense and just give the shooter a replacement throw.

GoodwillRef Tue Jan 16, 2007 07:30am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef
By rule, yes. The L should whistle the play dead before she can go after the ball.

Make sure when you use the phrase "by rule" that you are actually right. This is not a violation.

Nevadaref Tue Jan 16, 2007 07:38am

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoodwillRef
Make sure when you use the phrase "by rule" that you are actually right. This is not a violation.

Tony is actually right. Notice that the case book play, of which he is well-aware, says "the official should sound the whistle to prevent any violations and then start the free throw procedure again."

In the play presented a violation has already occurred prior to the official taking any action. Therefore, by rule, the free thrower has committed violation. Now any decent official is going to bend the rule a bit and simply sound the whistle as quickly as possible and readminister the FT.

Jurassic Referee Tue Jan 16, 2007 07:46am

Quote:

Make sure that you read the case book play cited--9.1.1-- before you make statements like the above.

That case play <b>is</b> a rule. It basically says that the FTshooter going to get the fumbled ball would be committing a violation(as per rule 9-1-7). The official should blow the whistle to <b>prevent</b> a violation, and then re-set the FT <b>before</b> the FT shooter actually commits that violation.

Iow, BktBallRef was completely right in his statement, <b>by rule</b>.

BktBallRef Tue Jan 16, 2007 07:50am

Quote:

Make sure you know WTF you're talking about before you disagree with me. :D

GoodwillRef Tue Jan 16, 2007 08:09am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef
Make sure you know WTF you're talking about before you disagree with me. :D

How is it a violation? If the free thrower hasn't started the throwing motion it is not a violation, if it was the play would say it was a violation. Where in Case Play 9.1.1 does it say that what happen is a violation???

GoodwillRef Tue Jan 16, 2007 08:15am

Quote:

How is it a violation? If the free thrower hasn't started the throwing motion it is not a violation, if it was the play would say it was a violation. Where in Case Play 9.1.1 does it say that what happen is a violation???

I apologize, I missed that she ran after the ball!

Jurassic Referee Tue Jan 16, 2007 08:25am

Quote:

If the FT shooter moves to recover the fumbled ball, they will commit a FT violation as per NFHS rule 9-1-7. Case book play 9.1.1 says that you can avoid calling the violation <b>IF</b> you blow your whistle <b>BEFORE</b> the violation is committed. If the FT shooter commits the violation <b>BEFORE</b> you blow your whistle though, then it is too late to re-set the play, <b>by rule</b>.

As Z said above though, don't be a plumber. Just re-set the damn thing- especially with 10 year old kids.

Mark Padgett Tue Jan 16, 2007 09:38pm

If one of my local ref league refs called this against a 10 year old, I'd smack him (or her, Juulie) upside the head with a frying pan, then make him (or her) sit in a closet reading all of Old Tool's posts while listening to an endless loop of Billy Packer rules comments. :eek:

bigdogrunnin Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:15pm

UH . . . I would NEVER make that call in YOUR league . . . I can handle the whole frying pan thing, even reading Old Tool's comments, but Billy Packer . . . NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! :D

stmaryrams Wed Jan 17, 2007 03:50pm

We seem to have several players locally who are now passing the ball around their body a couple of times before a couple of bounces and then the attempt.

I would be more apt to call a violation on someone doing this who then drops the ball past the line and goes to retrieve it.

mick Wed Jan 17, 2007 03:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by stmaryrams
We seem to have several players locally who are now passing the ball around their body a couple of times before a couple of bounces and then the attempt.

I would be more apt to call a violation on someone doing this who then drops the ball past the line and goes to retrieve it.

Ha ! :)
I have to say that the temptation to call it would be very real.
Dunno if I could.

RookieDude Wed Jan 17, 2007 04:05pm

What would you do, as an officiating crew, if the FT shooter decides to go talk to the coach as the L is ready to administer the 1st FT?

The player actually went to the sideline and held a brief conversation with the coach...as the officials were telling him to go back to the line.
(I wasn't there, so I don't know how many times the officials had to tell the player...or how long it took the player to go back to the line.)