The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 05, 2005, 11:08pm
Official Forum Member

Question

AAU Game

I'm at L administering the FT. I bounce the ball to the shooter, who catches it cleanly. She then bounces the ball and it hits her foot and rolls into the lane. The ball was not so far away from her that she couldn't just bend over and get it but she decides to step over and pick it up. My partner immediately calls a violation.

The coach wanted to know what the shooter could do different if this situation occurred again to avoid the violation (assuming the shooter can no longer reach the ball).

I think she can call a timeout. My partner disagrees.

Any thoughts?
Old Wed Apr 06, 2005, 12:12am
Administrator

Make the ball dead as soon as the shooter fumbles it away, and start over again.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Wed Apr 06, 2005, 01:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
Make the ball dead as soon as the shooter fumbles it away, and start over again.

MTD, Sr.
And find a new partner, one with some common sense.
Old Wed Apr 06, 2005, 04:05pm
Official Forum Member

9.1.1 Sililar situation."Official should sound the whistle to prevent a violation and then start the free throw procedure again."
Old Wed Apr 06, 2005, 04:06pm
Official Forum Member

Sorry, similar*
Old Wed Apr 06, 2005, 04:20pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to PGCougar
Another FT question

Sorry to jump in, but I have another question related to FT's and I thought I'd ask it here.

Player closest to the FT shooter is leaning in with his arm fully extended into the lane about shoulder high, waiting for the FT shooter to take his shot (NFHS rules.) As though to maintain balance, the defender's arm waves up and down a bit, and he was shaking his hands and fingers. To me it looked a little deliberate on the defender, trying to catch the peripheral vision and distract the FT shooter.

No calls were made, but you know me, I start wondering if this is borderline disconcertion or just plain nothing. Any thoughts?

BTW, FrankHtown, you can edit your post when you see it by clicking on the edit button instead of posting an additional reply (unless, of course you are trying to catch up to JR in total post counts.)
Old Wed Apr 06, 2005, 04:23pm
Official Forum Member

What about this situation?

Player is at the line, recieves the ball, then bounces it to a teammate standing on the lane line. I blew it dead, called a violation (obvious the shot wasn't going to be good), and went on to the second shot.

Thoughts?
Old Wed Apr 06, 2005, 04:27pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter

Player is at the line, recieves the ball, then bounces it to a teammate standing on the lane line. I blew it dead, called a violation (obvious the shot wasn't going to be good), and went on to the second shot.

Thoughts?
Whyinthehell did the goof do that?
Old Wed Apr 06, 2005, 04:38pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Another FT question

Quote:
Originally posted by PGCougar
Player closest to the FT shooter is leaning in with his arm fully extended into the lane about shoulder high, waiting for the FT shooter to take his shot (NFHS rules.) As though to maintain balance, the defender's arm waves up and down a bit, and he was shaking his hands and fingers. To me it looked a little deliberate on the defender, trying to catch the peripheral vision and distract the FT shooter.
Well, if it's the first shot and they have their hands up, their's hardly any reason for that. If I think it's a really big deal I'll warn them about it before I call any violations.
Old Wed Apr 06, 2005, 10:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter

Thoughts?
Whyinthehell did the goof do that?
Because I ref intramural sports . . .