The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Sep 10, 2004, 11:35am
Official Forum Member

High School Rules apply to this question.
Red team on the free throw line shooting 2 free throws.
On the 2nd free through after she releases the ball and before the ball hits the rim or backboard she crosses the free throw line. At the same exact time a blue player on the lane crosses the line. Is this a double violation and you go with the possession arrow?

Old Fri Sep 10, 2004, 12:13pm
Official Forum Member

Yes, double violation. Go with the arrow.
Old Fri Sep 10, 2004, 12:15pm
In Memoriam

Simultaneous(at the exact same time) violations by opponents on the last scheduled FT give you an immediate dead ball, no point scored and an AP. NFHS rule 9-1PENALTY3.
Old Fri Sep 24, 2004, 11:07am
Official Forum Member

Smile what if???

blue went over first while the ball was on the way to the rim, then just before it hit the rim red went over?? same thing right???? double violation??? some people try to say that the blue violated first so if the shot misses they give them another shot and the other violation was ignored..i think they are taking the order to far on that one
Old Fri Sep 24, 2004, 01:06pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
If both violators are in marked lane spaces, then you only penalize the first one, even if they happen very close together.

If one or both of the violators are not along the lane lines (e.g., the FT shooter or players outside the 3-point arc), then you have a double violation and penalize both violations (go to the arrow), regardless of whether one is clearly before the other.
Old Fri Sep 24, 2004, 01:33pm
Official Forum Member

i agree
Old Fri Sep 24, 2004, 02:38pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Re: what if???

Quote:
Originally posted by jritchie
blue went over first while the ball was on the way to the rim, then just before it hit the rim red went over?? same thing right???? double violation??? some people try to say that the blue violated first so if the shot misses they give them another shot and the other violation was ignored..i think they are taking the order to far on that one
Don't have my book handy, but I believe the shooter is specifically excluded from this protection.

Adam
Old Sat Sep 25, 2004, 12:16pm
Official Forum Member

I've always said this is a serious glitch in the rules.

Here's why:
Let's say team A is on the free-throw line to shoot the second of two free throws while trailing by two points with three seconds to go in the game. AP arrow is in Team A's favor.
In theory, if B1 violates, shooter A1 would be SMART to also violate, thus creating the double violation, which would give the ball back to Team A with three seconds to play and a chance to go for a tie or for a win with a three-pointer.
Old Sat Sep 25, 2004, 01:25pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by eastcoastref
I've always said this is a serious glitch in the rules.

Here's why:
Let's say team A is on the free-throw line to shoot the second of two free throws while trailing by two points with three seconds to go in the game. AP arrow is in Team A's favor.
In theory, if B1 violates, shooter A1 would be SMART to also violate, thus creating the double violation, which would give the ball back to Team A with three seconds to play and a chance to go for a tie or for a win with a three-pointer.
It's not really a glitch. It's just another great reason for Team B to follow the rules. I know, I know, why reward Team A for violating? But really, if Team B doesn't violate in the first place, Team A doesn't get this opportunity.
Old Sat Sep 25, 2004, 01:42pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by eastcoastref
Let's say team A is on the free-throw line to shoot the second of two free throws.
In theory, if B1 violates, shooter A1 would be SMART to also violate, thus creating the double violation, which would give the ball back to Team A
Team A has already violated by having five players inside the FT circle
Old Sat Sep 25, 2004, 01:57pm
Official Forum Member

Question Re: Re: what if???

Quote:
Originally posted by Snaqwells
Quote:
Don't have my book handy, but I believe the shooter is specifically excluded from this protection.

Adam
I was just thinking the same thing. Since my book is locked away in storage, would somebody with the book confirm or refute this argument?
Old Sat Sep 25, 2004, 03:07pm
In Memoriam

Re: Re: Re: what if???

Quote:
Originally posted by Back In The Saddle
Quote:
Originally posted by Snaqwells
Quote:

Adam
I was just thinking the same thing. Since my book is locked away in storage, would somebody with the book confirm or refute this argument?
If the first violation is a lane line violation by the free thrower's opponent and that violation is then followed by a lane line violation committed by one of the free thrower's teammates, the second violation IS ignored. If the second violation was made by the free thrower or a teammate of the free thrower behind the 3-point line, then you would penalize both violations.

NFHS rule 9-1PENALTY4(a)(b).