The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 04, 2007, 08:10pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to lukealex
Basket Interference Problem

I'm having trouble explaining the BI rule to two fellow officials. The situation is A1 goes for a layup, B1 tries to block, misses the ball but shakes the backboard enough to effect the shot. This is a T by 10-3-5 (a or b) but not BI. Case 10.3.5 is close, but not exact.

They aren't getting the point of BI needing to include the basket, but the backboard and basket are not the same (by rule). Any suggestions on explanation of this rule?
Old Thu Jan 04, 2007, 08:16pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Sounds to me like you explained it pretty well, and it's their problem not yours. "What is it about 'no' that you don't understand?"

Tell them they can either apply to work for Billy Packer or quit listening to him, one or the other.

How hard could it could be to say, "BI doesn't include the backboard. Period." Well, it's not hard, and you're doing fine. Ask them why it's so darn hard to understand.
Old Thu Jan 04, 2007, 08:31pm
Official Forum Member

Basket interferance

I have nothing, not Bbasket interferance nor a tee (as long as he was trying to block the shot)
Old Thu Jan 04, 2007, 08:34pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirrefalot
I have nothing, not Bbasket interferance nor a tee (as long as he was trying to block the shot)
On the play described, I may or may not agree depending on the situation. But the question has to do with an explanation of why it's not BI. Any suggestions?
Old Thu Jan 04, 2007, 08:41pm
Courageous When Prudent

It is clearly spelled out in the rule book. This is not BI, nor is it a 'T' since it was a legitimate attempt to block a shot.

If luke wants to explain BI to his partners then he needs to come up with an entirely different scenario.
Old Thu Jan 04, 2007, 08:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukealex
I'm having trouble explaining the BI rule to two fellow officials. The situation is A1 goes for a layup, B1 tries to block, misses the ball but shakes the backboard enough to effect the shot. This is a T by 10-3-5 (a or b) but not BI. Case 10.3.5 is close, but not exact.

They aren't getting the point of BI needing to include the basket, but the backboard and basket are not the same (by rule). Any suggestions on explanation of this rule?
I wouldn't have BI, period. Only way I would have a tee would be a timing issue. If it is a bang bang play where b1 is legit on his attempt to block the shot I would have nothing. If a1 lays it up and it is hanging on the rim and b1 then comes through and slaps the back board i may have a tee, otherwise nothing...
Old Thu Jan 04, 2007, 08:51pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to lukealex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirrefalot
Using 10-3-5 (a or b), a T is warranted. Striking the backboard to gain an advantage. If the striking of the backboard rattles the whole structure (including the basket) the movement could cause the shot to be missed.

I'm not worrying about explaining BI in its entirety, just only in this situation.
Old Thu Jan 04, 2007, 09:08pm
PYRef

Quote:
Using 10-3-5 (a or b), a T is warranted. Striking the backboard to gain an advantage. If the striking of the backboard rattles the whole structure (including the basket) the movement could cause the shot to be missed.

I'm not worrying about explaining BI in its entirety, just only in this situation.
A player shall not place a hand on the backboard or ring to gain an advantage(10-3-5a), or while a try or tap is in flight, intentionally slap or strike the backboard or cause the ring to vibrate(10-3-5b)

I don't think 10-3-5a necessarily applies here. I tend to infer that this is in place to prevent a player from pushing off the backboard or ring to gain an advantage in position. (Only a possible scenario, JMO). What you are using to justify the call under 10-3-5a is specifically addressed, and allowed, by 10-3-5b.
The key word in 10-3-5b is intentionally. This is a most likely going to be a judgement call by the official if he was playing the ball, and not an automatic T because of the contact.

Last edited by PYRef; Thu Jan 04, 2007 at 09:12pm.
Old Thu Jan 04, 2007, 09:11pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
No, it is NOT warranted and it is NOT a technical foul if the defender rattles the board while legitimately trying to block a shot. Ever! How hard the board is hit, whether the board shakes or what the shot does after the board is hit are not relevant in any way, rules-wise. The only judgement on the play is whether the defender was legitimately trying to block the shot. If so---->no call.

See case book play 10.3.5.
Old Thu Jan 04, 2007, 09:27pm
In Memoriam

Quote:

Before you can explain the rule properly, Luke, you have to understand it. Your whole premise is completely wrong. If B1 tried to block the shot, it is NEVER a technical foul. You can also never have a BI call unless B1 touched the ring, net or the ball in the cylinder. Touching the backboard is never a part of BI.
Old Thu Jan 04, 2007, 09:28pm
Official Forum Member

If it's a legit try for the block and the player unintentionally slaps the backboard it's a no call. Just because it looks like a duck and quacks like aduck doesn't always mean you have to call it a duck....is that a bad comparison?
Old Thu Jan 04, 2007, 09:49pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by armymanjones
Just because it looks like a duck and quacks like aduck doesn't always mean you have to call it a duck....is that a bad comparison?
Only if you call it a technical fowl.....
Old Thu Jan 04, 2007, 10:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Only if you call it a technical fowl.....

Don't even start, JR!!!!! Too late. . . .
Old Thu Jan 04, 2007, 11:02pm
Official Forum Member

Its basket interference not backboard interference maybe that statement would help. I also have nothing here if the ball was being played.
Old Thu Jan 04, 2007, 11:10pm
Official Forum Member

Legitimate block attempt, NO CALL. I agree with the others. Now, if there is nothing going up and a player goes up and hits the backboard . . . different story. Look back at the topics from about 3-4 weeks. This topic was discussed at length not long ago.