The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Sep 13, 2004, 11:14am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to tjchamp
I was taking one of the on-line quizzes at the referee.com site. I'd like to get some clarification.

On A-1's throw in, the ball is outside the cylinder when B2 reaches through the basket from below and knocks the ball away before it can reach the cylinder. What's the call. The answer indicates basket interference. I'm just wondering how that can be the call since A-1 can't make a basket on a throw in.
Old Mon Sep 13, 2004, 11:18am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref

You're right, we can't by rule have a try on a throw-in.

But BI does not need to be on a try.
Old Mon Sep 13, 2004, 11:20am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by tjchamp
I was taking one of the on-line quizzes at the referee.com site. I'd like to get some clarification.

On A-1's throw in, the ball is outside the cylinder when B2 reaches through the basket from below and knocks the ball away before it can reach the cylinder. What's the call. The answer indicates basket interference. I'm just wondering how that can be the call since A-1 can't make a basket on a throw in.
I suppose if the ball hasn't gotten to the cylinder yet, it's not a shot yet. Team A could be trying for an alley-oop, or he could be trying to throw it over the basket. Since this can't be a legal try, you don't have a violation by A unless the ball actually goes into the net. But B has committed a violation regardless. It's always illegal to reach up through the net and contact the ball. I'm not sure it's BI, though.
Old Mon Sep 13, 2004, 11:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:

I suppose if the ball hasn't gotten to the cylinder yet, it's not a shot yet. Team A could be trying for an alley-oop, or he could be trying to throw it over the basket. Since this can't be a legal try, you don't have a violation by A unless the ball actually goes into the net. But B has committed a violation regardless. It's always illegal to reach up through the net and contact the ball. I'm not sure it's BI, though.
Juulie, as I posted earlier whether or not there is a try in progress has no bearing on the BI violation. Touch the ball while it's on the basket (or the basket itself in this case), in the cylinder or while reaching through the basket is a BI violation in any case.

Old Mon Sep 13, 2004, 02:31pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:
Quote:

Juulie, as I posted earlier whether or not there is a try in progress has no bearing on the BI violation. Touch the ball while it's on the basket (or the basket itself in this case), in the cylinder or while reaching through the basket is a BI violation in any case.

NFHS rule 9-11-3--"Basket interference occurs when a player touches the ball OUTSIDE the cylinder while reaching through the basket from below".

Now bow three times in the direction of Dan, Juulie. That would be to the east.
Old Mon Sep 13, 2004, 02:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It's always illegal to reach up through the net and contact the ball. I'm not sure it's BI, though.
It is - see 4-6-3.

Just remember that, with the exception of touching a free-throw (4-22-2), goaltending requires a try or a tap, while basket interference applies at all times (including throw-ins, rebounds, etc.)
Old Mon Sep 13, 2004, 04:33pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

NFHS rule 9-11-3--"Basket interference occurs when a player touches the ball OUTSIDE the cylinder while reaching through the basket from below".

My directions, I know. But I didn't say it wouldn't be BI, I just said I didn't know. I didn't have time to look in the book right then. I just dashed off the part I was sure of, and didn't commit on the other. And just for the record, I bow to no one except God.
Old Mon Sep 13, 2004, 08:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

My directions, I know. But I didn't say it wouldn't be BI, I just said I didn't know. I didn't have time to look in the book right then. I just dashed off the part I was sure of, and didn't commit on the other. And just for the record, I bow to no one except God.
OK then....so, anyone hear any good jokes lately?
Old Mon Sep 13, 2004, 08:40pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Now bow three times in the direction of Dan, Juulie. That would be to the east. [/B]
And just for the record, I bow to no one except God. [/B][/QUOTE]

[/B][/QUOTE]There IS a God! He's baaaaaaack!!!!!

http://www.berkeleybreathed.com/pages/opus_returns.asp
Old Mon Sep 13, 2004, 08:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
And just for the record, I bow to no one except God. [/B]

[/B][/QUOTE]There IS a God! He's baaaaaaack!!!!!

http://www.berkeleybreathed.com/pages/opus_returns.asp [/B][/QUOTE]

Bug off ketchup lady.

(BTW, good one!)
Old Mon Sep 13, 2004, 08:59pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Didja go through the "Favorite Strips"? Man I love "pear pimples for hairy fishnuts"!!! And, of course, Lola's tatoo!
Old Mon Sep 13, 2004, 09:24pm
Official Forum Member

Just cough up the dough Mac....

BTW, we never did get to actually see that tatoo, did we?
Old Tue Sep 14, 2004, 09:15am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
BTW, we never did get to actually see that tatoo, did we?
And that would be the third scandal.