The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 28, 2006, 07:48pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
That goober musta been the stoopidest evaluator in the history of the game then, to say something as dumb as that.

D1 camp?
Nope, 5th grade girls.
Old Fri Dec 29, 2006, 03:59am
Official Forum Member

Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle
You do realize that this is inconsistent with the stance you took on the similar throw-in situation in another thread today?

Quote:
Yup, I knew that when I posted it.
I think that he does it just to iritate me.
Old Fri Dec 29, 2006, 08:58am

Quote:
That goober musta been the stoopidest evaluator in the history of the game then, to say something as dumb as that. D1 camp?
I think the evaluator was trying to make a point, that we should not put the ball in play until we count, and that since it's 3 of us, you would think that one of us would have caught it. I learned my lesson and now when I'm the guy bringing in the subs, I always hold the inbound, until I have counted them all up, sometimes you got to wait until the dust clears b4 you can count. In just about every case that this has happen after this camp, I can point to an official who got lazy, and didn't do his count.

The other problem we have is some partners don't always look up and check in with you before putting the ball in play. They put the ball in play while my hand is up and I'm still counting. I think in the pregame, you should discuss this and put the responsibility on the person bringing in the subs to do the count and if we're on top of it, this should not happen in the game. Of course the lead can do a count too, b4 putting the ball in play.

What I find that is very pleasing about this is when I do catch it and the coaches don't. I blow my whistle to hold my partner, I walk over to the bench and tell them they got too many on the floor, and they know they would have gotten a technical if I didn't catch it. I win a few points with them and this never hurts as we are going down the stretch.
Old Fri Dec 29, 2006, 10:01am
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School
.. I win a few points with them and this never hurts as we are going down the stretch.
Yet another reason why you are full of it. Who cares about winning a few points with the coach?
Old Fri Dec 29, 2006, 10:17am
In Memoriam

Quote:
The other problem we have is some partners don't always look up and check in with you before putting the ball in play. They put the ball in play while my hand is up and I'm still counting.
Gee, you would think that being fellow college officials of yours that they would know better than that.
Old Fri Dec 29, 2006, 10:34am

Quote:
Gee, you would think that being fellow college officials of yours that they would know better than that.
Actually, I think it's more about familiarity with one another. Still, when I work with a different crew, we don't always check one another before putting the ball in play. I'm trying to condition myself to always check with my partners before making the ball live.
Old Fri Dec 29, 2006, 10:44am

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun
Yet another reason why you are full of it. Who cares about winning a few points with the coach?
Tomegun, is sounds like you have been officiating too long. You have lost the love and respect for the game. If you no longer care about the coaches, no longer care about doing things that can improve your game and the relationship you have with the people you have to work with in the game. You should retire and go do something you like to do. Tis is the season. You should be thinking peace and goodwill to your fellow man. Scrooge!
Old Fri Dec 29, 2006, 10:48am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomegun
Quote:
Tomegun, is sounds like you have been officiating too long. You have lost the love and respect for the game. If you no longer care about the coaches, no longer care about doing things that can improve your game and the relationship you have with the people you have to work with in the game. You should retire and go do something you like to do. Tis is the season. You should be thinking peace and goodwill to your fellow man. Scrooge!
From m-w.com, the definition of non sequiter.
Main Entry: non se·qui·tur
Pronunciation: 'nän-'se-kw&-t&r also -"tur
Function: noun
Etymology: Latin, it does not follow
1 : an inference that does not follow from the premises; specifically : a fallacy resulting from a simple conversion of a universal affirmative proposition or from the transposition of a condition and its consequent
2 : a statement (as a response) that does not follow logically from or is not clearly related to anything previously said
Old Fri Dec 29, 2006, 10:59am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
Yeah - having to take your shoes off all the time must be a real pain.
11 is less than 16. You should only have to take off one shoe.
Old Fri Dec 29, 2006, 11:03am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Actually, I think it's more about familiarity with one another. Still, when I work with a different crew, we don't always check one another before putting the ball in play. I'm trying to condition myself to always check with my partners before making the ball live.
Gee, don't your fellow college officials all follow the standard substitution mechanics as laid out in the CCA manual? You really think that they would when officiating at the college level.
Old Fri Dec 29, 2006, 11:14am
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee
11 is less than 16. You should only have to take off one shoe.
Don't football officials have to count both teams? That would be 22. I guess only officials with extra toes can work games. That's scary.

Wait - you could get to 21 without extra toes if you use your, er, never mind. In fact, that's scarier.
Old Fri Dec 29, 2006, 11:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Gee, don't your fellow college officials all follow the standard substitution mechanics as laid out in the CCA manual? You really think that they would when officiating at the college level.
Up at the top of the screen, there's a selection entitled, "User CP". Click on that. Then, scroll down the left side of the screen, under "Control Panel" to the "Miscellaneous" section. Under there you will find a selection entitled, "Buddy / Ignore Lists"...

(Used with permission.)
Old Fri Dec 29, 2006, 12:11pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
Uh..............no! I think you should learn how to be a better official and not concern yourself with doing what is popular. If you love this game, as I do, you will think more about what is right and the integrity of officiating and less about what warm cuddlies a coach wants to extend your way. You sound like an official a coach would love to have at home but not on the road. I strive to be an official a coach doesn't mind having at home or on the road. It will probably take you a while to figure that one out.
Old Fri Dec 29, 2006, 01:09pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun
Uh..............no! I think you should learn how to be a better official and not concern yourself with doing what is popular. If you love this game, as I do, you will think more about what is right and the integrity of officiating and less about what warm cuddlies a coach wants to extend your way. You sound like an official a coach would love to have at home but not on the road. I strive to be an official a coach doesn't mind having at home or on the road. It will probably take you a while to figure that one out.
Quite the opposite sir. If you can allow yourself to think outside the box, I realize that might be a little hard for you traditional types. But what do you think happens when both coaches know and respect you? Daaaa....!!!!

That means one of the coaches is a visitor, just thought I would say that because I know how your one-track, one-way fits all brain works. End result, a better, smoother game for not only you but for your partners as well.

Happy Holidays...
Old Fri Dec 29, 2006, 01:21pm

Quote:
You would think...but the reality is it happens.