The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Lacrosse
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Apr 05, 2001, 12:15pm
Official Forum Member

Question

I recently worked a three-man game that went into overtime. It was made clear to me that as the single-side I was to squeeze in from my regular position and to assist the lead official with goal line coverage. Question: Do I signal goal and blow whistle under any or no circumstance/s?
Old Mon Apr 09, 2001, 08:48am
Official Forum Member

Biz:
As the single/center official in a 3-man game you would normally during the course of the game "yo-yo" in and out of goal-line coverage based on what the lead is doing. If he is pulled way off the crease to the sideline, as the center you would move down and help with goal-line coverage. For the most part, though, the goal line is his.

The only time you would blow your whistle and signal goal is if the lead misses it and you are 100% sure it crossed the line. In that case, make eye contact with the lead and ascertain that he needs help before doing this.
Old Thu Apr 19, 2001, 02:56pm
Official Forum Member

goal signal

According to John Hill (during a recent clinic in Texas)
exactly one official signals GOAL -- the lead. Watching
the goal line and crease is the sole responsibility of the lead. The other officials watch everything else. Thus
there is little reason for the lead to miss a score unless
they (the lead) are terribly out of position.
Also, if anyone else is going to make that call, they must
be in an acceptable position.

When making the signal, charge the goal as they sound the whistle and raise one hand. They then stop at the edge of the crease and raise the second hand to signal the score. Do not run with both hands raised. Whatever you do, don't signal a goal flat footed from outside the box or the top of the box. You will have a hard time selling this call -- especially in upper division play.

It takes 2 to 3 seconds for folks to find you on the field
when a whistle sounds. Make the habit of hand up + whistle to make yourself easier to find. Flags, signals, other announcements can follow the hand+whistle because folks have found you on the field and are watching whatever you do next. [It also gives you a couple of seconds to clarify in your mind whatever you are going to say/do next.]