The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 20, 2006, 10:11pm
PYRef

Another Travel Question

Saw this at a girls Varsity game tonight:
A1 & B1 going for a loose ball. A1 falling down onto her back while clearly bobbling the ball. A1 does gain control of the ball against her chest when already on the floor and doesn't slide. Ref called the violation.

I didn't think this would be a travel as she wasn't holding the ball before she fell.

Lead made the call and it's possible that he didn't have a clear view of the bobble from his angle. It was definitely a quick, bang bang type of play. It was bobble, on floor, control. She wasn't laying there bobbling it while on her back.

My post isn't to question the call of the refs, they did a great job. I'm just curious if the play as I described above would constitute a travel?
Old Wed Dec 20, 2006, 10:37pm
In Memoriam

As described, it's a legal play.
Old Wed Dec 20, 2006, 10:45pm
(Something hilarious)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PYRef
A1 does gain control of the ball against her chest when already on the floor and doesn't slide. Ref called the violation.
...Thus perpetuating another rules misconception. At least they were spared the barage of "THAT'S A TRAVEL!!!!" from the crowd.
Old Thu Dec 21, 2006, 12:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PYRef
Saw this at a girls Varsity game tonight:
A1 & B1 going for a loose ball. A1 falling down onto her back while clearly bobbling the ball. A1 does gain control of the ball against her chest when already on the floor and doesn't slide. Ref called the violation.

I didn't think this would be a travel as she wasn't holding the ball before she fell.

Lead made the call and it's possible that he didn't have a clear view of the bobble from his angle. It was definitely a quick, bang bang type of play. It was bobble, on floor, control. She wasn't laying there bobbling it while on her back.

My post isn't to question the call of the refs, they did a great job. I'm just curious if the play as I described above would constitute a travel?
If the play happened as you describe, then it was not a travel.

BTW, Hawkeye is trying to tell you that a player is allowed to slide after gaining control of the ball while on the floor. That is not a travel either.
Old Thu Dec 21, 2006, 01:32am
We don't rent pigs

Yes, even in this day and time, with all the information available to learn the rules, (like this site for example) you still hear a lot of whistles from "good" officials on things that "look funny." You know, the kind that make the crowd, in unison, say "OHHH!" And if there is no call, you hear remarks like,
"That had to be a ....walk......or something!!"

Lonesome Dove