The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Apr 10, 2002, 10:19am
Esteemed Participant

First off, let me say that this play happened in an NBA game (Portland Jailblazers vs. Dallas Mavericks)... Portland player dives on loose ball and ends up laying on his stomach with the ball in his hands...he raises up on to both knees, sets the ball on the floor (letting go of it) and then stands up, bends over and picks the ball up and throws a long pass down the court...no call from the official standing maybe 10 feet away watching the play...so I have two questions:

1)For one of you NBA rule-masters: was this a legal play according to NBA rules? Or did the ref just have a brain-cramp?

2)In a Fed. or NCAA game, if the player (who dives on the floor and ends up on stomach with ball in hands) lets go of the ball and then stands up and picks the ball back up - is it a travel? I know it is if they go up on to knees or stand up while holding the ball...rule or case book references??? Thanks...
Old Wed Apr 10, 2002, 11:17am
Official Forum Member

Here's my rookie opinion, although I don't know the NBA rules. If a player went from stomach to knees while holding the ball, it's a travel.

If the player is on his/her stomach, put the ball down, stood up, and then picked the ball up, I have no violation. I would consider putting the ball on the floor the beginning of the dribble. The dribble ends when he/she picks the ball back up.

How's that sound????
Old Wed Apr 10, 2002, 11:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bard
Here's my rookie opinion, although I don't know the NBA rules. If a player went from stomach to knees while holding the ball, it's a travel.

If the player is on his/her stomach, put the ball down, stood up, and then picked the ball up, I have no violation. I would consider putting the ball on the floor the beginning of the dribble. The dribble ends when he/she picks the ball back up.

How's that sound????
It sounds great.

Unfortunately, it conflicts with 4.35.5B
Old Wed Apr 10, 2002, 11:40am
Official Forum Member

Alright, it you're going to throw the book at me, at least throw a book at me that I have! ;-)

I only have NFHS, and I don't have a 4.35.5B. Could you please enlighten me?

Tx.
Old Wed Apr 10, 2002, 12:07pm
Official Forum Member

The NCAA rulebook states in Rule 4.64.5 under A.R. 36:

A.R. 36. Is it traveling when a player (a) falls to the playing court while holding the
ball; or (b) gains control of the ball while on the playing court and then, because of
momentum, rolls or slides, after which the player passes or starts a dribble before get-ting
to his or her feet? RULING: In (a), yes, because it is virtually impossible not to
move the pivot foot when falling to the playing floor. In (b), no. The player may pass,
shoot, start a dribble or call a timeout. Once the player has the ball and is no longer
sliding, he or she may not roll over. When flat on his or her back, the player may sit
up without violating. When the player puts the ball on the floor, then rises and is the
first to touch the ball, it also is traveling. When a player rises to his or her feet while
holding the ball, a traveling violation occurs. When a player falls to one knee while
holding the ball, it is traveling when the pivot foot moves.
Old Wed Apr 10, 2002, 12:24pm
Esteemed Participant

That's the NCAA interp I was looking for...thanks Hoosier!!!
Old Wed Apr 10, 2002, 06:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bard

Alright, it you're going to throw the book at me, at least throw a book at me that I have! ;-)

I only have NFHS, and I don't have a 4.35.5B. Could you please enlighten me?

Tx.
Dots denote case book plays. Dashes denote rules. Bob is citing a case book play, a play which states that your no call is, indeed, traveling.
Old Thu Apr 11, 2002, 08:23am
Official Forum Member

No 4.35.5B in the NFHS Case Book, either. But they are obviously using NCAA.

Which leads me to a question, how does NFHS handle this situation?
Old Thu Apr 11, 2002, 09:30am
Official Forum Member

In the NF, it's traveling. Looks like Bob slightly messed up his reference. He should have said 4.43.5b.

4.43.5 SITUATION B: A1 dives for a loose ball and slides after gaining control. A1 is in a position either on his/her back or stomach. What can A1 do without violating? Ruling: A1 may pass, shoot, start a dribble or call a time-out. Once A1 has the ball and is no longer sliding, he/she may not roll over. If flat on his/her back, A1 may sit up without violating. Any attempt to get to the feet is traveling unless A1 is dribbling. It is also traveling if A1 puts the ball on the floor, then rises and is first to touch the ball.

This is what I was referring to when I said that your play traveling. Sorry for the confusion.
Old Thu Apr 11, 2002, 09:57am
Official Forum Member

Thank you. I understand, and my rule knowledge is once again expanded thanks to this forum! Now if I can just remember all of this by the time the season starts up again!
Old Thu Apr 11, 2002, 03:00pm
Official Forum Member

If I remember right what you describe was legal in the NBA. I will go home and find my NBA casebook.
Old Fri Apr 12, 2002, 06:42am
Official Forum Member

there are rules in the nba?