The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 14, 2006, 04:06pm
Official Forum Member

T the Varsity coach

I had a boys JV game last night. Midway through the 3rd Q, I call a foul on A1. I hear a coach yelling and screaming after I report it. I look its NOT the head coach. I wait a few seconds to see if hes going to calm down he doesnt so I whacked him. Turns out hes the Varsity coach, He stands, yelling at me. Says he wants an explaination. I calmly told him if he didnt sit he would be gone for 2 games and that I only speak to the head coach. He sits down and a little bit later disappears to warm up his team. My question is, does he lose his coaching box privileges for the Varsity game since I T'ed him in the JV game. Or does it just count toward his 2t's for the Varsity game?
Old Thu Dec 14, 2006, 04:08pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

His Ts in the JV game have no bearing on the varsity game. None. New game, and the rule states a coach is disqualified after two technicals in one game.
Old Thu Dec 14, 2006, 04:10pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrs_schuster
My question is, does he lose his coaching box privileges for the Varsity game since I T'ed him in the JV game. Or does it just count toward his 2t's for the Varsity game?
No and no.

All games are independant and nothing ever carries forward from one game to the next.
Old Thu Dec 14, 2006, 04:10pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
I had a boys JV game last night. Midway through the 3rd Q, I call a foul on A1. I hear a coach yelling and screaming after I report it. I look its NOT the head coach. I wait a few seconds to see if hes going to calm down he doesnt so I whacked him. Turns out hes the Varsity coach, He stands, yelling at me. Says he wants an explaination. I calmly told him if he didnt sit he would be gone for 2 games and that I only speak to the head coach. He sits down and a little bit later disappears to warm up his team. My question is, does he lose his coaching box privileges for the Varsity game since I T'ed him in the JV game. Or does it just count toward his 2t's for the Varsity game?
In our area, there are few Assistant JV coaches. Are you certain that he was not just a fan?
Old Thu Dec 14, 2006, 04:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
That might be a question for your state/district, but around here it's only by level. In other words, if a coach gets ejected for a JV game he wouldn't be able coach the next JV game. It wouldn't affect the next varsity game.

However, if that happened and you wrote up a report, it would be interesting to see what his A.D. or state office did.

The nice thing is that you don't have to worry about it. You are talking about an issue that official's deal with. Even if you knew he had been ejected from the previous game and he was coaching, you would just ref the game with him on the bench and leave the AD/State issues to the powers that be (although you'd probably want to report it to your assignor).
Old Thu Dec 14, 2006, 04:24pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I know if he'd been ejected in Iowa (I'm still learning Colorado stuff), he'd have to miss every game until he missed the next scheduled JV game. So, he'd have to skip the varsity game that night and hope there's a scheduled JV game soon.
Old Thu Dec 14, 2006, 04:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebraman
That might be a question for your state/district, but around here it's only by level. In other words, if a coach gets ejected for a JV game he wouldn't be able coach the next JV game. It wouldn't affect the next varsity game.

However, if that happened and you wrote up a report, it would be interesting to see what his A.D. or state office did.

The nice thing is that you don't have to worry about it. You are talking about an issue that official's deal with. Even if you knew he had been ejected from the previous game and he was coaching, you would just ref the game with him on the bench and leave the AD/State issues to the powers that be (although you'd probably want to report it to your assignor).

So, If I got this right. If I through him out of the JV game. He could still coach the Varsity game. But not be involved with JV game for 2 games?
Old Thu Dec 14, 2006, 04:28pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick
In our area, there are few Assistant JV coaches. Are you certain that he was not just a fan?
I know what ya mean Mick!
Old Thu Dec 14, 2006, 05:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
All games are independant and nothing ever carries forward from one game to the next.
From the NFHS perspective, yes. On a state level, though, it might. I ejected the varsity coach from a freshman game last year. By CT rules, he should have sat out the varsity game that night.

(He also shouldn't have come back in during the freshman game, but that's a different story.)
Old Thu Dec 14, 2006, 05:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
So, If I got this right. If I through him out of the JV game. He could still coach the Varsity game. But not be involved with JV game for 2 games?
I'm in the same state as zebraman...Washington...and that is exactly how an ejection is handled on the "east side" as well.
Richland, WA
Old Thu Dec 14, 2006, 06:24pm
Official Forum Member

In Montana, our direction from the state is that once a coach is ejected from a contest, even as a fan, he must miss all games until the next one at that level. We have had a coach ejected from a tournament game (loser out) and he then had to miss the opening game of the next season.
Old Thu Dec 14, 2006, 06:32pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
It depends on your state, and also, please note that you didn't eject him. The OP says he left to get ready for the varsity game.
Old Thu Dec 14, 2006, 08:03pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
I calmly told him if he didnt sit he would be gone for 2 games...
No need to go into all of this.
Old Fri Dec 15, 2006, 01:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
No and no.

I did have a similar sitch with a varsity coach at a jv game. My partner had a call which got the bench in an uproar. He called a violation for crossing the restraining line. Only problem was there was no restraining line. We have several gyms in the city league that use them but this one does not need one. There was a tape line about 5 feet parallel to the side line, dashed for some kind of gym class thing and my partner called that line. Funny in pregame, captains and coaches meetings we never discussed this because it wasn't a restraining line. Partner makes the call, bench erupts and this guy comes out of the stands to complain on the edge of the floor. I come over to help calm everyone and tell this guy to get back in the stands. He says "I'm the varsity coach" so I "T" him up as he is a part of the staff. I then told him to sit down so he can do his game tonight. He says it doesn't carry over and I replied that it will if you are thrown out of the gym for the night. He relented and sat down. I never could get a good explaination from my partner why he called what he did and I've always tried to avoid working with this guy since.
Old Fri Dec 15, 2006, 03:27pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by stmaryrams
Partner makes the call, bench erupts and this guy comes out of the stands to complain on the edge of the floor. I come over to help calm everyone and tell this guy to get back in the stands. He says "I'm the varsity coach" so I "T" him up as he is a part of the staff.
Small problem.

If he came out of the stands, and he wasn't on the bench or listed as being one of the JV coaches, then he is a fan. He isn't part of the JV coaching staff per se; he's part of the Varsity coaching staff. Completely different animals. It's usually a last resort to throw "T"s at fans anyway. I'd have have just told him to get back in the stands and stay in the stands. If he gives you any crap, get game management to get him out of of the gym. Stop the game until he is gone. If he is game management, do the same thing. Tell him that unless he leaves, the game will be suspended. Not forfeited, suspended. If that happens, write everything up for the league/state/your assignor.