The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 20, 2005, 10:37am
Official Forum Member

Yesterday , I coached my 4th grade youth boys team against a team that has a Varsity coach ( as the assistant ). I've played them 3 times prior and he has been annoying every time. While warming up I see that he is the home town hero ( refs chatting , table people talking with him etc...) , I realize it will be a long game.
The game starts and then he starts ( not the normal youth league yelling but the constant : That's a walk , travel, 3 seconds , 5 seconds closely guarded , explaining very loud what the rule is for 5 seconds closely guarded etc.... ). The officials at most of our tournaments are volunteer with very little officiating experience so they really don't know they do not have to put up with this.

I listen to this the whole 1st half and it is really frustrating. We start the 2nd half and my son gets the ball passed to him ( he is our " player " ) , he doesn't even move and the coach is yelling walk ,,,,,,, that's a travel . My son then makes his move and as he is coming up the floor he says " Dad , I didn't travel did I ? " I said no , the ref didn't call it don't listen to this guy . I then turn to the coach and say " You have got to be kidding , a travel ? " He then starts to explain to me what a travel is . At the next opportunity I call a time out and say ,,,, to anyone within a city blocks earshot : " I am getting sick and tired of the coach trying to influence these officials, I am a licensed official and I am not trying to do so .....so let them call the game. "
You could hear a pin drop .... and for the rest of the game table people started calling me sir and letting me know what player was in foul trouble etc...
The coach did not say another word the rest of the game and just helped coach. Unfortunately for us his kids responded to the coaching and beat us by 7 .

I get compliments from other teams on how well our kids display sportsmanship and respect for the officials. My point is that if a Varsity coach can have input on kids at this age it should be positive . He shouldn't be nit picking calls and trying to officiate the game. As coaches of these kids we need to set an example of what is accepted and what is not . I'm not perfect , sometimes I will question a call * what did #3 do , did #40 step on the line etc..* . My job as a coach is to teach basketball and everything that goes with it, not to try and officiate from the sidelines. I hope that this coach is the exception and not the rule .

BTW, the officials really did not let him influence them, they did not do a bad job at all. I had talked with the adult official b/4 the game and he said that they were running behind on time but he was still going to make the calls needed b/c he did not want any of the kids getting hurt . I think he needs to go ahead and get licensed b/c he has his priorities straight !

Just ranting , sorry

Old Sun Feb 20, 2005, 10:50am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by RefTip
Yesterday , I coached my 4th grade youth boys team against a team that has a Varsity coach ( as the assistant ). I've played them 3 times prior and he has been annoying every time. While warming up I see that he is the home town hero ( refs chatting , table people talking with him etc...) , I realize it will be a long game. ....
Good post.
mick
Old Sun Feb 20, 2005, 11:40am
In Memoriam

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by RefTip

Just ranting , sorry

And a good rant it was too. Don't be sorry for your ranting, coach. Be sorry for the kids that are being coached by your adversary.

Unfortunately, not all coaches have their priorities straight like you do. It would be nice, but it just ain't gonna happen. Just ignore the goobers you meet and keep on coaching the way you do. The kids come first, as you well know. Thanks for posting.