The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 14, 2006, 08:49am
Official Forum Member

FED, JV and Varsity

Ok I am a VB, SB and Wrestling official, but my daughter is dating a basketball player.....I know try to raise them right and they grow up to do something stupid like this Anyway I have been going to watch him play and got to wondering, he plays a couple of quarters of JV and a couple of Varsity, so the question.....Does FED have a rule of how many quarters a player can play agianst one school? I know VB has 5 games between JV and Varsity in one contest, figured BB did too, thanks in advance to all.
Old Thu Dec 14, 2006, 08:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveASA/FED
Ok I am a VB, SB and Wrestling official, but my daughter is dating a basketball player.....I know try to raise them right and they grow up to do something stupid like this Anyway I have been going to watch him play and got to wondering, he plays a couple of quarters of JV and a couple of Varsity, so the question.....Does FED have a rule of how many quarters a player can play agianst one school? I know VB has 5 games between JV and Varsity in one contest, figured BB did too, thanks in advance to all.
FED has no such rule. Your state might.
Old Thu Dec 14, 2006, 08:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveASA/FED
There is no NFHS rule regarding how many quarters a given player can play in one night, and no NFHS rule limiting a player to play only in the varsity or the JV game.

State associations and/or local leagues, however, may have eligibility rules along these lines. You could tell us what state you're from, but most of the time officials aren't made aware of these rules.
Old Thu Dec 14, 2006, 08:59am
Huck Finn

This used to be a normal thing when I was in high school, but I haven't seen it much in Arizona, Nevada, Maryland or Mississippi. It is really a win-win situation IMO as long as the player doesn't play too many quarters. Of course it shouldn't make any difference since some of these schools will go to tournaments where they play more than one game in a day.
Old Thu Dec 14, 2006, 09:00am
Official Forum Member

Way back when I grew up (late 70's early 80's), my state had a restriction to 4 quarters a night (that was WV BTW). I do not think the state I live in now (the state of confusion) has one! I saw a Freshman play the majority of the Frosh game, two quarters of JV and one of Varsity!
Old Thu Dec 14, 2006, 09:04am
Official Forum Member

Ohio

In Ohio, the OHSAA allows for 5 quarters per day (OT doesn't count) and a maximum of 90 per season. (State Tourney doesn't count). With a 20 game regular season, that allows for some overlap.

It is not the official's job to monitor the quarters. If there is a violation, it goes to the state and the state will rule (usually forfeits).
Old Thu Dec 14, 2006, 09:08am
Official Forum Member

Here's the scoop on this from Minnesota

Basketball Participation Limits – Consecutive Halves

The daily participation limit for basketball is a maximum of three (3) halves per day. The rule which did not allow three consecutive halves to be played, has been removed. For example, a player can now play both halves in a preliminary game and the first half of the varsity game, or they could play in the 2nd half of the preliminary game and both halves of the varsity game – as long as the total is not more than 3 in one day.

The season limitation remains the same. An individual player cannot participate in more halves per season than the number equal to three (3) times the number of varsity games scheduled
Old Thu Dec 14, 2006, 09:52am
Official Forum Member

Kansas has a 5-quarter per day rule, plus an overall number of game days per season (which I'm not certain of). Used to be 20.

OT doesn't count, and in the case of small schools without enough players sometimes you'll see sub-varsity games played in 4-minute quarters as that allows two quarters to count as one in terms of the rules. Lots of kids will play a quarter or two of JV and then 3 or 4 of varsity ball.
Old Thu Dec 14, 2006, 10:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw3018
Kansas has a 5-quarter per day rule, plus an overall number of game days per season (which I'm not certain of). Used to be 20.

OT doesn't count, and in the case of small schools without enough players sometimes you'll see sub-varsity games played in 4-minute quarters as that allows two quarters to count as one in terms of the rules. Lots of kids will play a quarter or two of JV and then 3 or 4 of varsity ball.
Still is 20. In additon, the referees have been instructed to not allow a player in the game if it will cause a 6th quarter violation. So much for answering, "That's not my problem." The penalty is a 1 game reduction of allowed games i.e. that player is only allowed to participate in 19 games.