The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 08, 2006, 11:01am
Official Forum Member

Anyone who calls a technical foul here is crazy and is intent on career suicide, IMHO.

The OFFICIAL SCORER has a record that Team A has one time out left. When the official grants the time out, he is granting a time out that team A HAS.

If, during the time out, the visiting scorer realizes that the official book was in error, and at that point all parties agree that Team A should have been out of time outs, it does NOT change the fact that when the time out was GRANTED, team A OFFICIALLY had one time out remaining, and it was granted LEGALLY. That seems to fall into the "non-correctable error" category to me.

Now, the situation is different if the OFFICIAL SCORER is the one that has no time outs remaining in his book. Let's say that coach B asks the visitiing scorer "how many time outs do I have?" Scorer B says one. He requests and is granted a time out, and the official scorer informs you that B had no time outs remaining.

Now I have a technical foul which I am mad at myself for the rest of the year for having because it should have been prevented with better game management.
Old Fri Dec 08, 2006, 12:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef
What's your call now, big boy?
OK, two technical fouls on the home team.
Old Fri Dec 08, 2006, 12:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef
I don't have my NFHS book on me but somewhere in rule 2 under scorekeeping I believe it says something about notifying, via an official, the coach when his/her team has no time-outs remaining.

For the record, its found under the scorers duties;

ART 6... Record the time-out information charged to each team (who and when) and notify a team and its coach, through an official whenever that team is granted its final allotted charged time-out.

ART 9... Signal the nearer official each time a team is granted a time-out in excess of the allotted number.

ART 11... Compare records with the visiting scorer after each goal, each foul, each charged time-out, and end of each quarter and extra period, notifying the referee at once of any discrepancy. If the mistake cannot be found, the referee shall accept the record of the official scorebook, unless he/she has knowledge which permits him/her to decide otherwise..............
Old Fri Dec 08, 2006, 12:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef
Two things:

Informing the coach he has no timeouts left is found in the Officials Manual. It's not a rule.

If the official scorer had 1 tiemout remaining, then there would be no reason to notify the coach.
Ding wrong answer, thank you for playing 2-11-6 requires the coach to be notified that there is no remaining time.

However you are absolutely right

If the offiicial scorekeeper made one mistake and did not record something right in the book ( and by the way we should have known this and checked) and failed to notify us, We should compound the issue and give the guy the additional timeout without penalty that allowed him to win the game because he got the clock stopped, setup the game winning play. Whoops opposing coach the official scorebook just screwed you and well it was our fault for not knowing what was going on out on the floor. Sorry your chances for the league title are screwed because well you see, the official scorekeeper gave the hoe team and extra time out and well I just cant do anything about it because well I just ref, I cant know whats going on with the table and the scoreboard although it is all my responsibility. Pardon my inability to officiate your game properly. Hope to see you next season...
Old Fri Dec 08, 2006, 12:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spf1wh
With 4 seconds remaining in a 7th grade game, team A was to receive a 1 free throw plus bonus. Team A coach was observed by me asking the official scorekeeper if he had a time out remaining. I witnessed the scorekeeper nodding yes. Coach A calls time out and it is granted. Team B designated score keeper argues they do not have one. In addressing the issue with official scorekeeper it is realized they do not have one. Should technical be assessed or is this a reversible officiating error.
No way in heck I'm granting a T here. The official scorekeeper told the coach that he had a time-out left and that is what the official book had at the time. So at the time that the coach requested the time-out, he had one left. Common sense please.

A little preventative officiating: I always have the visiting scorer and the official (home) scorer sit side by side. I tell them that they will keep their books in sync and they will not tell me later that they have a discrepancy. Ever since I stared doing that, I've never had a problem.
Old Fri Dec 08, 2006, 04:20pm
Official Forum Member

Like I said, grant an additional timeout because the official book told him (maybe did not even look at the book). You are only compounding the problem. Try and justify all you want the rules dont allow for an additional timeout just because the official scorekeeper said so. Heck if that was the case the official scorekeeper will just continue to oh whoops I made a mistake dont penalize my team.... It was what was noted in the book and what we have knowledge about... If the official scorekeeper messed up somehow it most likely (unless on a neutral floor) it was his own team... That's right we would allow a homer to influence the game forgot that is in rule 14.... Rule 15 states that official scorekeepers are not subject to oversight or review by the officials on the floor, if fact I think the exact wording is. "Official scorekeeper can do whaterver in the H**(LL he wants at the table witout penalty or oversight" Rule 1 in the Atheletic Directo'r manual also states AD's have no oversight over scorekeepers and cannot discipline them or fire them without consulting both Billy Hunter and POTUS.

There is a difference between the scorekeeper and the book here. If the time out stops the clock and allows the game winning