The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 22, 2002, 09:43am
Official Forum Member

college women's, girl calls TO and her team is already out of TO's. 1) Shoot FT's 1st or TO 1st? 2) ball in play at half court or at spot of violation? 3) does this count toward team total?
Old Tue Jan 22, 2002, 09:48am
I drank what?

Send a message via MSN to w_sohl
I believe you can shoot them during or after the time out. It would be up to the coach of the team shooting if he/she wants their player in teh huddle during the time out. I am also pretty sure you take this at half court just like any T. And I do not think that it counts as a team foul, similar to delay of game T.

Please correct me, as I am sure someone will, if I am wrong so that I can get this right when it happens to me.
Old Tue Jan 22, 2002, 09:52am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to bigwhistle
Quote:
Originally posted by Bart Tyson
college women's, girl calls TO and her team is already out of TO's. 1) Shoot FT's 1st or TO 1st? 2) ball in play at half court or at spot of violation? 3) does this count toward team total?
Award the time out before the free throws.

As far as where the ball is to be put in play, it depends on which team had possession when the T is called. If the team getting to shoot the FTs had the ball, it will be put back in play at the spot of interruption. If the team calling the excessive time out had the ball, then the other team will get the ball at the division line.

This T will not count toward the bonus.
Old Tue Jan 22, 2002, 10:00am
Official Forum Member

it is not the POI. Women's has a different rule. We gave the TO 1st. We put the ball in play at half court, although we as a crew were not sure about the throwin spot. We thought it should be at the spot of violation but the official who made the call decided to take it at half court. I just didn't know if it counted toward the team total.
Old Tue Jan 22, 2002, 10:04am
Official Forum Member

NCAA Rule 5 section 12
art. 1 Timeouts in excess of the allotted number may be requested and shall be granted at the expense of an indirect technical foul charged to the offending team for each taken.
Rule 10-4 Penalty for indirect technical fouls
art. 1 The penalty for the indirect technical fouls shall be two free throws. The ball shall be put back in play at the point of interruption.
EXCEPTION (WOMEN) An indirect technical foul for excessive time outs shall carry the additional penalty of loss of possession.

Appendix BR-140 throw-in after - SPOT NEAREST INFRACTION.

Grant the time out, shoot the free throws, then give the ball to the team that didn't call the time out at the spot nearest the infraction.

The indirect does not count towards the team foul total or a player's five fouls.
Old Tue Jan 22, 2002, 10:16am
Official Forum Member

thanks.
Old Tue Jan 22, 2002, 11:28am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Shoot the FTs before you grant the time-out. This may seem minor, and it probably doesn't matter much b/c both teams will be huddling during the FTs. But in college, you shoot the FTs immediately, and then resume the game. So shoot the FTs, then resume by granting the TO.

Chuck
Old Tue Jan 22, 2002, 03:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Shoot the FTs before you grant the time-out. This may seem minor, and it probably doesn't matter much b/c both teams will be huddling during the FTs. But in college, you shoot the FTs immediately, and then resume the game. So shoot the FTs, then resume by granting the TO.

Chuck
Actually, the timing of the FTs is one of the most important things, at least when this occurs under NF rules. It may influence our strategy coming out of the TO.

If I call this TO, I am doing it because we have 5 seconds or less on the clock, just made a shot, and the opponent is just going to hold the ball on the baseline. I will take the T because I need to stop the clock. I had one game where I was prepared to do it this year. We were down 4 with 7 seconds left and we're inbounding on baseline, opponent called TO to strategize. I figure he's telling his players that my team has no time outs, so if we score, take your time grabbing the ball then stand out of bounds and let the clock run out (it's what I would do). I said if we score, call TO. Now what I and my opponent plan to do after our excess TO may well depend upon how many FTs the shooter makes after the T. (of course, we missed the 3 pointer so we never got the TO!)

But I had thought that the FTs came first. would that be correct in NF?
Old Tue Jan 22, 2002, 03:40pm
I drank what?

A good rule of thumb that I think most officials should follow, unless rules state otherwise, is do everything in the order that it hapened. Excessive TO called, issue T, grant TO, shoot T FT's, inbound ball.

I think that is the way the NF rules would like us to do things as well.
Old Tue Jan 22, 2002, 03:43pm
Official Forum Member

comeon W_sohl, thats too simple. Give me rule or case book reference.
Old Tue Jan 22, 2002, 03:50pm
I drank what?

Don't have my books with me but I will look it up tonight.
Old Tue Jan 22, 2002, 04:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by w_sohl
A good rule of thumb that I think most officials should follow, unless rules state otherwise, is do everything in the order that it hapened. Excessive TO called, issue T, grant TO, shoot T FT's, inbound ball.

I think that is the way the NF rules would like us to do things as well.
The TO is granted before the official finds out it's excessive, so the TO should be taken before the FTs, IMHO
Old Tue Jan 22, 2002, 04:44pm
I drank what?

[QUOTE]Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:
The TO is granted before the official finds out it's excessive, so the TO should be taken before the FTs, IMHO
When you report the time out you find out that it is excessive so:

1. TO called
2. Issue TO and inform coach that it was excessive and there will be T FT's after the TO
3. Shoot T FT's
4. Inbound ball
Old Wed Jan 23, 2002, 11:47am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
[QUOTE]Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:
But in college, the rule is to penalize a technical foul immediately and then resume at the point of interruption. Why wouldn't you shoot the FT's then resume at the POI, which is the called TO?

Chuck
Old Wed Jan 23, 2002, 11:57am
Official Forum Member

Case

This doesn't apply exactly, but I think it's clear enough:

10.1.7 A1 requests and Team A is granted a time-out late in the fourth quarter... Ruling Team A is charged with a technical foul...

There is no technical until after the TO is granted, so the TO comes first.