The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 02, 2003, 12:30pm
Official Forum Member

i would like to hear the opinions of the board on this.

nc2a rules(men)
at the 17 min mark of the 2nd period team A has used his final time out(down by 25). at the 15 min mark he requests an excessive time out and it is granted with a technical foul. when do you draw the line and ignore/not grant timeout requests.

Old Thu Jan 02, 2003, 12:40pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by crew

nc2a rules(men)
at the 17 min mark of the 2nd period team A has used his final time out(down by 25). at the 15 min mark he requests an excessive time out and it is granted with a technical foul. when do you draw the line and ignore/not grant timeout requests.
crew,
Keep allowing the TO. The Coach had apparently started to look at this game as scrimmage-like and thought the information he was giving the players was more important to them than a couple of throws, or the score.
You wanna get upset with someone? Look at your assignor for giving you that game instead of a conference game.
mick
Old Thu Jan 02, 2003, 08:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

nc2a rules(men)
By rule, you are not allowed to ignore the requests, if it's made when he can legally make such a request. Why would you want to ignore it?

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Thu Jan 02, 2003, 08:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

nc2a rules(men)

Unless he's using them to make a travesty of the game (timeout requests every 10 seconds), I'm granting them. If they make a travesty of the game - forfeit.

Of course, that wouldn't stop me from having a little chat with the coach reminding him how many timeouts he has left.
Old Fri Jan 03, 2003, 03:01pm
Official Forum Member

Tony,
Personally, I would hope that I would have enough presence of mind to at least inform him that he doesn't have any TO's left. If he insists, then grant it. I also agreee that if he keeps doing it to make a travesty of the game, do something about it. I don't know that I would forfeit the game, but the head coach might get run!.
Old Sat Jan 04, 2003, 01:27am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to dhodges007 Send a message via Yahoo to dhodges007
I personally don't feel that it is our responsibility in a basketball game to let a coach know that he doesn't have a TO during live ball. I probably have already let the coach know when his last one was. So I agree, if he wants a TO, he will pay for it with a T.

I also would run a coach if he kept it up to stall the game and was making disruptions.

My two sense!
Old Sat Jan 04, 2003, 10:32am
Official Forum Member

this is what my supervisor said.
grant the first one. grant the second one and address the coach that this is getting ridiculous and making a travesty of the game. grant the third one and grant an unsporting technical to the head coach. on the 4th grant it and run him........(note this is when the team has no chance of winning the game. if they are capable of winning then a travesty has not been made, he is taking an acceptable loss for hopefully more gain.)
Old Sat Jan 04, 2003, 01:18pm
Official Forum Member

While I agree that it is not our "responsibility" to remind the coach that he doesn't have an TO's left, it can be good preventive officiating. In a tight game, Coaches may not always think straight and even though they may know they don't have any, the pressure and excitement of the moment may lead them to act otherwise.
Old Sat Jan 04, 2003, 01:35pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by DrakeM
While I agree that it is not our "responsibility" to remind the coach that he doesn't have an TO's left, it can be good preventive officiating. In a tight game, Coaches may not always think straight and even though they may know they don't have any, the pressure and excitement of the moment may lead them to act otherwise.
Drake,
I've got a heavy enough load to carry.
If I can't coach the players, surely, I will not coach the coaches.
mick
Old Sat Jan 04, 2003, 02:00pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by DrakeM
While I agree that it is not our "responsibility" to remind the coach that he doesn't have an TO's left, it can be good preventive officiating.
I agree with mick. By rule,an official has already notified the team that they've used their last TO. You've done your job when you give that notification. The coach is supposed to do his now. I imagine Chris Webber would liked to have seen "preventive officiating" in that NCAA championship game. The problem is,though,that you've now taken a legal advantage away from the team that didn't call the TO,by not giving them the 2 shots for the T.Never know-could end up to be the difference in a tight game. JMO.
Old Sat Jan 04, 2003, 08:47pm
Official Forum Member

SECTION 12
ART. 2 . . .
Time-outs in excess of the allotted number may be requested and shall be granted during regulation playing time or any extra period at the expense of a technical foul for each.